Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
I was only offered 1,250. I'm a Gold. I can understand giving a 1K a bit more as a reward for loyalty, but 5x more?

Did you not protest?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:29 pm

how much compensation should I get for 21-hour delay on TPAC flight?

got a strange email from United that basically wanted to know what kind
of compensation I was seeking... not sure what to respond with. Shoudl
I reply with "ONE MILLION DOLLARS!" and a picture of Dr. Evil? (just kidding)

any suggestions appreciated.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AppleApe
got a strange email from United that basically wanted to know what kind
of compensation I was seeking... not sure what to respond with. Shoudl
I reply with "ONE MILLION DOLLARS!" and a picture of Dr. Evil? (just kidding)

any suggestions appreciated.
I think the "Customer Appreciation" e-mail usually gives you a link and it will give you a choice once you fill in all the details ("I invite you to visit the following website to select a token of our appreciation.").
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Did you not protest?
I did, after seeing this thread! Got my extra 5K miles. I should donate half of it to FT.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
SFO-CDG 990 on March 19th...

I was on this flight. About a half hour before board, GA announced that the plane was "broken" and they were looking for another 763. They found one that was also "broken" but flyable... turns out we had no entertainment, reading lights or in seat power for the 10.5 hour flight... I was not a happy camper... flight ended up being 1.5 hours late arriving CDG which was not too bad...

Email waiting offering $200 voucher or 10K miles... as a 1K a few years ago I recall a $400 voucher.... oh well...
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by Buzzman
I was on this flight. About a half hour before board, GA announced that the plane was "broken" and they were looking for another 763. They found one that was also "broken" but flyable... turns out we had no entertainment, reading lights or in seat power for the 10.5 hour flight... I was not a happy camper... flight ended up being 1.5 hours late arriving CDG which was not too bad...

Email waiting offering $200 voucher or 10K miles... as a 1K a few years ago I recall a $400 voucher.... oh well...
I think I was on the same 763 From SFO-IAH on the 21st, it has come from Paris, they hadn't fixed anything yet

Last edited by jasonp622; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
(Details are for those who are interested/browsing, don't consider this as piling on... airplanes break and that's fine, but I'm disappointed in the process of getting compensation issued)

Scheduled departure 6:45am, SFO-RDU, had used an RPU to upgrade into F. Flight boarded on time (06:15).
Delayed to 7:15 for "maintenance issue".
Delayed to 8:00 for "low hydraulic fluid".
Delayed to 9:00 for "need to replace a part in the hydraulic system" -- deplaned all pax at this point (about 8:15am)
Delayed to 10:30 shortly after deplaning (about 8:45am)
Delayed until 3pm (about 9:15am)
At this point I left the airport to go home for partof the day - before I could get there got a text saying the flight had been cancelled.
End result: CR7 to IAH at 4:45pm, 2 hour layover, 753 IAH-SFO in an E- seat (row 36).
When I boarded for IAH at 4:45 the broken A320 was still at the gate - original A/C finally departed to ORD (empty) ~32 hours after original scheduled departure.

Complaint:
No one involved at the airport (gate agent, FA, ticketing agent at the counter) offered any compensation or suggestions. The GA I have total sympathy for as she was in charge of getting people re-booked. After calling three separate times to customer care, and the "appreciation" webpage not working, finally got a helpful phone agent who issued a $200 cert manually. But this seems awfully light for a 14+ hour delay on a transcon.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ljwobker
finally got a helpful phone agent who issued a $200 cert manually. But this seems awfully light for a 14+ hour delay on a transcon.
In December, I got $275 for a 20 hour delay between LAX and CMH, via ORD due to MX cancellation. And that was in paid F.

Seems about proportional to what they're giving you, sadly.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker
(Details are for those who are interested/browsing, don't consider this as piling on... airplanes break and that's fine, but I'm disappointed in the process of getting compensation issued)

Scheduled departure 6:45am, SFO-RDU, had used an RPU to upgrade into F. Flight boarded on time (06:15).
Delayed to 7:15 for "maintenance issue".
Delayed to 8:00 for "low hydraulic fluid".
Delayed to 9:00 for "need to replace a part in the hydraulic system" -- deplaned all pax at this point (about 8:15am)
Delayed to 10:30 shortly after deplaning (about 8:45am)
Delayed until 3pm (about 9:15am)
At this point I left the airport to go home for partof the day - before I could get there got a text saying the flight had been cancelled.
End result: CR7 to IAH at 4:45pm, 2 hour layover, 753 IAH-SFO in an E- seat (row 36).
When I boarded for IAH at 4:45 the broken A320 was still at the gate - original A/C finally departed to ORD (empty) ~32 hours after original scheduled departure.

Complaint:
No one involved at the airport (gate agent, FA, ticketing agent at the counter) offered any compensation or suggestions. The GA I have total sympathy for as she was in charge of getting people re-booked. After calling three separate times to customer care, and the "appreciation" webpage not working, finally got a helpful phone agent who issued a $200 cert manually. But this seems awfully light for a 14+ hour delay on a transcon.
For a total delay of 20+ hours on TPAC flight, the "final" compensation received was:

(1)
12,500 UA reward miles (included in an automatically-generated
email from UA) Accepted this in lieu of the $150 travel certificate

(2)
one free night at a hotel near Tokyo-Narita (hotel website shows
rate for that room type was appx USD$159

(3)
one dinner with half bottle of house red wine at the hotel restaurant
(according to the waiter, it would have been appx USD$42, if paid
with own money) Red wine tasted slightly better than box wine.

(4)
one buffet breakfast at the hotel restaurant (appx USD$13 if paid
with own money)

(5)
UA rebooked connecting flight on ANA for next morning, received
free upgrade to intra-Asia business class on 767. Flight had lunch.

(6)
lost checked bag (despite assurance from both UA and NH agents
that the bag would be at the final destination waiting) Bag was
eventually delivered to local hotel the next evening.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AppleApe
For a total delay of 20+ hours on TPAC flight, the "final" compensation ....

[included]

one dinner with half bottle of house red wine at the hotel restaurant
(according to the waiter, it would have been appx USD$42, if paid
with own money) Red wine tasted slightly better than box wine.
So you admit the wine was of better quality than that served aboard your TPAC flight.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
So you admit the wine was of better quality than that served aboard your TPAC flight.

I have nothing against box wines.... when consumed in large enough quantity,
it gets me hammered enough to lose a few grey cells.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: United Plus
Quick question: Voucher or Miles for delayed flight

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find a similar thread.

Frankfurt-SFO was delayed by 5 hours. I had used miles to pay for this ticket so obviously, a refund of any kind is out.

They have offered me either...

-$1000 travel coupon good for a year
-30,000 miles

I live in France, am from N.California so we fly United a lot. The problem with the voucher is that I'm nervous about black out periods. I'm also hesitant, since I usually fly with my three kids, then that would obligate us to buy other United tickets when they might not be the best deal. Can the voucher "spill over" to cover some of the cost of another family member?

But then again, I rarely can use my miles because of my offspring, who are still in school, obligates us to fly high season when there are few opportunities to cash in miles.

I only was able to finally use these because I flew alone to surprise my sister on her 50th birthday, which was last week. I left the kids with the hubby but usually we all travel around Xmas or summer vacations.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Vouchers are essentially cash. Except that non UA metal itineraries are usually not eligible and the voucher expires in one year.

You can use the voucher for anybody and there are no blackout dates.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
New math says take the miles!

If you have no status with UA, $1000 will earn you 5000 RDMs. If you are 1K, $1000 will earn you 11,000 RDMs.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
New math says take the miles!

If you have no status with UA, $1000 will earn you 5000 RDMs. If you are 1K, $1000 will earn you 11,000 RDMs.
And gets you a flight and then some to and back from EU. Whereas 30000 only gets you a oneway from EU.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.