Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
That is crazy. I guess I don't feel as bad for my 5K 4 hour delay.

Billy
That shows the absurdity of the compensation... 5K for 4 hours... less than 9k for an overnight and 14 hour delay?!?!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Incurred a $60 baggage fee as I was re-routed home on another airline after IRROPS. Called in to the 1K line and was offered a $150 travel cert. Easy fix.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by 110pgl
That shows the absurdity of the compensation... 5K for 4 hours... less than 9k for an overnight and 14 hour delay?!?!
Yup. I'm trying to escalate this one. I suspect that there is some kind of range for each complaint and the agent just gave me the low end. This could be because I was traveling with 4 other family members and multiplying a reasonable amount X4 exceeded the agents' quota.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Jigen666
I flew MUC-IAH 2 weeks ago in Business on a full-fare ticket. Seat was broken in that it didn't recline at all from upright to a sleeping position, or any position in-between. Lead FA gave me a skykit and told me that he'd log it in so I could report it shortly after landing.

Well, I went online to file my skykit the next day. Got the message that UA will get back to me in 7 days. It's been 14, and no response.

What's the next step? Do I call Customer Service, or write 1K voice?

Thanks in advance.
Just a follow up. Today I received the following letter from 1K voice.

Dear Mr. 666

Thank you for including United Airlines in your travel plans.

Each aircraft adheres to a rigorous maintenance schedule to help ensure our customers enjoy safe and comfortable travel. I received your feedback regarding your seat and I truly regret that it did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused and will include your comments in a report to the appropriate department.

Mr. 666, you are a valued Premier 1K member and we appreciate your business. In recognition of our appreciation and a token of apology, you will receive an electronic travel certificate that may be used toward the purchase of a future United Airlines ticket. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for processing and delivery via a separate e-mail.

Thank you for making us aware of the situation and, again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Xxxxx Yyyyyy
Customer Care
Case ID# 8552007
A few minutes later I received an email from UA Customer Care offering me a $125 travel voucher.

I don't understand, in the past UA has offered me a choice of miles or a voucher. Not only does this feel a little light as compensation for a full paid business ticket on an overseas flight. But they're not even offering me a choice of miles (which I'd prefer).

Do I write back to 1K voice and say I'd prefer miles (and hopefully better compensation? Or do I just grin and bear it?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: Removed employee name per FT rules
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
1-4-15: UA 932 IAD-FRA crew scheduling/missed connection

Hi,all. First-time UA Plat here, about to do the US Trial Preferred thing for AA CP.

The issue:

Sunday night I was on 932, IAD-FRA, connecting on LH to PRG on a GlobalFirst reward ticket. After boarding was delayed about a half hour due to late inbound from LHR, it was announced that the captain wouldn't be able to make the flight due to crew duty hours, and the flight ended up leaving about 90 minutes late, blowing my LH connection to PRG.

Interestingly, the reason for delay (as posted on the gate screens) remained "late inbound" through the delay and boarding process.

As soon as the delay was announced, I went back to the GF lounge where the agent tried very hard to get me to PRG on combinations of LX, OS, BA, OK, and others, but no options were available that late. I stayed with 932 to FRA and took a four-hours-later connection to PRG. Both UA staff at IAD and LH staff at FRA (lounges, anyway) were as helpful as could be, but it seems like UA dropped the ball with crew scheduling. I wrote to Customer Care with some non-emotional detail about the issues, also mentioning that the delay caused me to miss an evening meeting in PRG.

(Incidentally: the flight next to our IAD-FRA, a much-delayed IAD-GVA, was cancelled while we were all waiting to board - MX ran into crew duty hours, or such was the explanation. I've never seen a crowd of Swiss people get so angry.)

The flights themselves were fine - GF was a really good experience, with service a cut above BF, though maybe that's because the cabin was 3/8 full. I'm wondering what, if anything, I might expect in terms of compensation/goodwill gestures.

Cheers!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
FRA-ORD. Received 7500 miles after emailing about AVOD unit in my seat frozen halfway through ~9 hour flight.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:29 am

MUC-ORD mid-December

Global First Seat

AVOD froze several times. No power for most of flights.

I didn't even bother with sending anything in.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
HNL-IAH. Received a choice of $175 travel certificate or 10k miles for a broken barcalounger. I took the TC.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:45 pm

So what is the best way to go about compensation for delayed bags.

Situation: I flew LAS-ORD-LGA Sunday. My ORD-LGA flight got delayed hours and I was moved as soon as i got off my LAS-ORD flight (my bag was still on that plane). They re-booked me on another flight and said they'd move my bags (the other flight wasn't leaving for 3.5 hours-- which got pushed to 4.5 hours). Well I land at LGA and no bag. Giant line at the baggage office.

I call in-- wait 45min to speak to a very nice agent who said they would pull it and get it to me the next day.

The next day goes by and no contact. so Tuesday AM i call wait another hour on hold and am told it will go out tomorrow and someone will contact me tomorrow (wed morning).

Wed morning comes and goes and no one contacts me-- i sit on hold for an hour again...and now i'm told "we are experiencing delays and the delivery service isn't returning individual calls so there is nothing we can do or tell you"

great. So this morning i leave on a business trip-- still don't have my bags. they got delivered this afternoon (my roommate brought them in)-- but i left for the trip without my bag.

How would you suggest i file a complaint and any idea what i should be expecting?

thanks
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
So just thought I'd post here...I already filled out whatever form I could find on the UA site.

Paid J for the first time on UA (AC Super Elite...doubtful that matters, but I figured I'd mention it) and I knew what to expect, more or less.

YVR-SFO-IAH-BOG-MDE. YVR-SFO was totally fine, 737 J class, nothing special, but it was better than the original YVR-DEN that I had booked and got cancelled, and better than the YVR-SFO on CRJ that had no J class that they auto-rebooked me on.

Anyway, SFO-IAH 787 J...brilliant! Very nice seat, great service, I was bummed with the food but the service outweighed it.

IAH-BOG overnight, I strategically picked my seat knowing the config of the 757 to be near the door so I could get to customs ASAP.

We hit some heavy turbulence, which I mention only because MAYBE it played a factor, though I don't see how exactly.

Suddenly the AVOD/power wouldn't work for me or my seatmate. Looking around everyone else's seemed to be fine. The FA gave some stupid excuse to him about the power cycling that sounded made up to me but couldn't explain my AVOD issue. I asked her to reset (being an AC ff, I know that often the reset fixes everything) my seat, which she did. Nothing. Basically a movie would start, run 5-8 minutes and crap out, new selection, same thing, then the old selection might play 10 minutes ok, crap out again. We both reset cuz his AVOD was shot, neither of our AC power worked and my AVOD was shot....nothing.

To her credit, she was REALLY nice and apologetic, it's not her fault and all the J seats were full, but I was bummed to say the least.

Now, as a Canadian, I'm conditioned to not rock the boat. But then the food came, the bowl for my ravioli was cold, which I chalked up to being ok since usually they're too hot to touch. But the food inside was cold also, the edges REALLY rubbery (I'm the furthest thing from a food critic, but this was so obvious a dog would notice). But I didn't wanna be a complainer, so I let it slide.

I don't know...each thing on it's own I can live with. Had I been upgraded, honestly, I wouldn't even say anything. But having PAID for J for the first time, this was a total bummer. So I wrote a "complaint" email.

Should I even expect a response? Let alone compensation? Honestly I feel like I do deserve compensation, though I don't know what, maybe a discount code? Something simple. Again, the only reason I even sent the complaint was because it was 2 bad things and I had actually paid. Is this a normal issue with UA food and or AVOD? I've never had AVOD issues on UA, but since there's not much consistency in aircrafts I haven't used it much, and I've never really eaten on UA so I have no barometer.

Update...

I didn't ask her to warm the pasta because I had already "complained" about the AVOD a bunch and she was busy serving other people. Call me Canadian but it's really my nature to be passive aggressive. I have the ability to complain about stuff, but having been in customer service, I just don't like to. In the case of the food, she could've helped me out, but adding it to the AVOD complaint, there was nothing else she could do about that, so I just let it go, ate the little bit of food (which did TASTE fine) and dealt with it myself.

Anyhoo, I got an email yesterday from United, and they gave me a fairly personalized letter, with 6000 MP miles. So now my account (which I have no reason to use, nor did I provide them the number) has 6250 lol. And it'll stay at that. I appreciated the gesture and I understand why they would give away miles, it's not literal dollars from their bottom line, but even $100 travel gift would've been better FOR ME personally, cuz I will continue to buy/fly United, just might not purchase J again.

I'm interested to see my 777 First experience in March for comparison. Again, loved the 787 J service, the 757 seat was basically the same, but everything else was subpar. Hoping for way better ORD-GRU in F.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by s2000hku
HNL-IAH. Received a choice of $175 travel certificate or 10k miles for a broken barcalounger. I took the TC.
Wow. Jackpot. They've been giving 10K miles for a totally non-functional paid GF seat on TATLs. To GS. Go figure.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Flying SFO-YYC, 4 pax/2 PNRs, 2 bags. Presented to an agent at T-70. Both pax on PNR 2 didn't OLCI. Bags were checked under PNR 1; BP printed for 3/4 pax (including 1/2 on PNR 2). BP not printed for second pax on PNR 2. Supervisor and agent called gate, who confirmed oversold flight (but not anymore ). Pax w/o confirmed BP went SBY and cleared.

$75 ETC.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by jp12687
Hey,

So yesterday i was flying home ......

thanks
nothing. You're home.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevinsac
nothing. You're home.
Bags were four days late, at which point OP had already departed on another trip.

I wouldn't complain if they were late a day or two, but four is too many. OP should e-mail UA customer care (webform). But keep the message short ("My bags were delivered four days late. This was a serious inconvenience, since I had already departed on another trip.") and expectations low.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

SFO-BOS, delayed due to maintenance, then AC swap, then ATC delays at Denver. Arrived almost 4 hours late. Choice of 10,000 miles or $200 ETC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.