Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Here are two recent results from a GM.

UA 869 SFO-HKG diverted to TPE for fuel. $100 or 5000 miles.
UA 895 HKG-SIN cancelled due to maintenance/crew time out. $0.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 am

EWR-HNL. P class (UPDI Fare). GM. BusinessFirst seat would only stay in the full-upright position or full-lie flat position. Anything in-between would result in the seat "collapsing" into the bed. FAs very apologetic but nothing could be done. No apology card provided. Went online to feedback page and requested miles as compensation. Response received in 3 days. Provided 10,000 miles, already in my account.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gnetwerker
Sorry for being unclear. Yes, Miles+Dollars upgrades, 20k miles o/w. Original fare class L (TPA-IAH) and V (IAH-PDX). Upgrades were UP20S and UP20L.
I'd ask for the 20k miles back since you also had to rent a car w/ UA being unable to get you to your ticketed destination. In cases where I just got 1 segment in the past they gave me 1/2 back; in your case I'd ask for all of it back.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hawaii777
EWR-HNL. P class (UPDI Fare). GM. BusinessFirst seat would only stay in the full-upright position or full-lie flat position. Anything in-between would result in the seat "collapsing" into the bed. FAs very apologetic but nothing could be done. No apology card provided. Went online to feedback page and requested miles as compensation. Response received in 3 days. Provided 10,000 miles, already in my account.
that's low. Guess GM does not help Long flight to have a non-functioning seat. I would have asked for/demanded an in-flight service issue card.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:57 pm

1K in economy, wifi entertainment down for entire plane. Received $200 off voucher as compensation. UA 200 GUM-HNL
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
that's low. Guess GM does not help Long flight to have a non-functioning seat. I would have asked for/demanded an in-flight service issue card.
Several years ago, I flew SQ from ICN to SFO. The "Spacebed" would not
recline or go into sleeping position. The FAs couldn't fix it. I sat upright
during the entire 12-hour flight. (full in business class, so I had nowhere else
to move to) The purser apologized several times. Didn't really bother me,
since I wasn't sleepy and was planning to work on my laptop during most of
flight anyway.l

SQ gave me a full refund on that flight. I did not expect it at all. They sent
me a letter about two weeks after the flight and said they were issuing me a
full refund for that flight(which was my return flight). The refund showed up
on my credit card a week after that. Needless to say, I was super impressed. ^

I don't suppose United does anything like that?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by AppleApe
Several years ago, I flew SQ from ICN to SFO. The "Spacebed" would not
recline or go into sleeping position. The FAs couldn't fix it. I sat upright
during the entire 12-hour flight. (full in business class, so I had nowhere else
to move to) The purser apologized several times. Didn't really bother me,
since I wasn't sleepy and was planning to work on my laptop during most of
flight anyway.l

SQ gave me a full refund on that flight. I did not expect it at all. They sent
me a letter about two weeks after the flight and said they were issuing me a
full refund for that flight(which was my return flight). The refund showed up
on my credit card a week after that. Needless to say, I was super impressed. ^

I don't suppose United does anything like that?
United would likely give you a copy/paste response with a choice between 5000 RDM's or $200 would be my guess....
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
United would likely give you a copy/paste response with a choice between 5000 RDM's or $200 would be my guess....
well, UA did give me 7500 miles for the personal device entertainment
not working on the entire plane... I imagine it's more if the business
class seat is kaput for the entire flight?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by AppleApe
well, UA did give me 7500 miles for the personal device entertainment
not working on the entire plane... I imagine it's more if the business
class seat is kaput for the entire flight?
Just happened to me... got a choice between 10K miles and a $200 voucher... pre merger, I got $400 for the same thing...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
HKG-ORD diverted to HKG-SFO.
Arrive final destination four hours later
D fare

$300 voucher.

Insulting.
Same aircraft did SFO-TPE the following day. Ran out of potable water three hours prior to landing. Got $200 voucher. Crew considered diverting to Narita.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Does EnvoyBoy make more than $75/hr?
I wouldn't mind sitting on a plane to get paid that.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

How do I get United to make me whole?

My flight from SFO to LUX via FRA was delayed by something like 8 hours due to a problem with the auxiliary power unit compounded by needing to get a new flight crew. I was flying full fare business class, while my wife was flying on a business award seat. Getting into FRA at something like 4:30pm meant there were no more connecting flights until the next day, so we got a pair of train tickets ($101 each) and made our own way to Luxembourg (no checked luggage!)

As United was unable to hold up their part of "I give you money and you get me to Luxembourg", I think it's only fair that they cover the cost of the train tickets. But after emailing them, the response was:

In a company-wide effort to harmonize policies and minimize duplicate
compensation, the airport will only issue goodwill for situations such
as denied boarding
I think that $200 voucher is barely sufficient to cover the annoyance of the 8 hour delay and the unexpected train trip. It's there any way to convince United to see things my way? Otherwise I'll start taking my business to a carrier that cares more about its customers (are there any of those left?).

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by genetastic
.... Getting into FRA at something like 4:30pm meant there were no more connecting flights until the next day, so we got a pair of train tickets ($101 each) and made our own way to Luxembourg (no checked luggage!)....
Did you discuss your self-made change of plans with an UA agent in FRA?

There are no LH or other carrier flights to LUX in the evening?
I see a 18:30 (TK) and 21:15 (luxair)

Have you confirmed your return ticket is in place given you have skipped a segment?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you discuss your self-made change of plans with an UA agent in FRA?
I called United and also spoke to an agent in the United lounge (the line was taking forever, so I made the call while I waited). They both told me that I had no options to get to LUX that day. I told the agent in the lounge, that my only option seemed to be to take the train, she agreed. I asked her about restitution, and she told me that I'd have to complete my travels and then contact United.

There are no LH or other carrier flights to LUX in the evening?
I see a 18:30 (TK) and 21:15 (luxair)
Hmmm, I can't speak to those flights specifically, but when I searched on the United app I couldn't find anything, and the agent on the phone couldn't find anything either. He said I'd have to stay overnight.

Have you confirmed your return ticket is in place given you have skipped a segment?
No, but I suppose I should. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
your opinion please.
flight 456 (IAH-LGA) on April 7, 2015 - Maintenance delay and then a LGA curfew forced flight to land in EWR instead of LGA. UA sent me a customer appreciation email offering $75. Maybe some will say stop complaining, but $75 does not seem to cover the costs nor fit the label 'customer appreciation'.
I have a car service that monitors the flight number in order to make the pick up. So while UA offered to provide ground transportation at 2:00 a.m. to LGA, our driver came to EWR anyway and $75 certainly does not cover the extra associated costs or the frustration of getting to bed at 4:00 am and getting up at 7:00 am for work this morning.
Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.