Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How long does United usually take to process a refund for a within-24h cancellation?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yes, you can do what's called a "Fake Hold". Select that you're paying with cash and it will put the reservation on hold for 24 hours to allow you time to go to the airport and pay. You can go back to your reservation and pay with a credit card before the end of the hold.
Since United allows a free refund within 24 hours of booking, does this hold allow for a double-dip of time (ie hold for 24 hours, book, then have another 24 hours from booking to cancel risk free?)? Or would the 24 hour risk free cancellation start from the time the reservation was held?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
I have a booking on UA.com that includes flights on LX and OS. The link "This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers" shows the number for LX, but not for OS. Must I call UA to get the latter? What century is this?
Probably same number for LX and OS. I have an itinerary where LH/TP/OS/LO/SK all have the same booking code. You should be able to verify on OS web site.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
Since United allows a free refund within 24 hours of booking, does this hold allow for a double-dip of time (ie hold for 24 hours, book, then have another 24 hours from booking to cancel risk free?)? Or would the 24 hour risk free cancellation start from the time the reservation was held?
I don't believe it works that way.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by diburning
The 24-hours begins at payment, so this would let you push the hours.

Beware the Fake Hold is a soft hold, not a guaranteed one like FareLock. The fake hold may buy you some hours, but it also might not be there anymore when you go back to pay for it.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by miasmal
I want to wait as long as possible to split PNR.
Why? If you do it before your window, it greatly improves your chance of a CPU.

Originally Posted by miasmal
Can I do this at check-in?
Sure. You don't even have to do it at all if you don't want to.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yes, you can do what's called a "Fake Hold". Select that you're paying with cash and it will put the reservation on hold for 24 hours to allow you time to go to the airport and pay. You can go back to your reservation and pay with a credit card before the end of the hold.

There's also a link saying 'phone order page', which is from a sentence saying 'If you would like to pay by phone, please visit out phone order page'. Click on that link and it'll also give you 24h.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:12 pm

Daughter booked award tix on 7/1 to Germany for Christmas markets in Dec.. The transatlantic portion is on LH and we just found out that it was not booked correctly by United and LH doesn't have the reservation. They are now trying to route her on much less favorable routes - we have a confirmation email which states "ticketed". What is our recourse?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by napilimom
Daughter booked award tix on 7/1 to Germany for Christmas markets in Dec.. The transatlantic portion is on LH and we just found out that it was not booked correctly by United and LH doesn't have the reservation. They are now trying to route her on much less favorable routes - we have a confirmation email which states "ticketed". What is our recourse?
What do you mean by "less favorable routing"?

You can probably force UA to honor the original ticket with a DOT complaint, although I would be surprised if this can't be resolved short of that. It's much easier for UA to open award space on its own metal than to buy seats on LH, so I would suggest looking for a routing that works flying UA TATL, and politely insist that UA rebook that.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: UNITED
SWU RU

I can no longer find on United site how many miles I need to get system wide and regional upgrades. Does anyone know where on the site I can find this?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lthomps
I can no longer find on United site how many miles I need to get system wide and regional upgrades. Does anyone know where on the site I can find this?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lthomps
You get this with status, so you not only need miles but minimum $pend.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UNITED
This does not answer the question. I want to know how many System wide and regional upgrades I reach 125,000 miles and again at 150,000 miles.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:50 pm

How is the first class on United 737-800? Should I spend 25,000 miles (OW) for a 5 hour domestic flight?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JCary
How is the first class on United 737-800? Should I spend 25,000 miles (OW) for a 5 hour domestic flight?
Debatable. It's a wider seat with more legroom and you'll get a free meal and free DirecTV if the aircraft is so equipped. The experience is otherwise underwhelming. No lie-flat seat, no footrest, no audio-video on demand.

Unfortunately, you're not going to know in advance whether your flight has the slimline seats in economy. If it does, you'll probably wish you had spent the extra miles for F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.