Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Another simple question that I think I know the answer to but just wanted to check with the FlyerTalk experts in case something has changed. If I buy an upgrade from coach to first class with money (no instrument or miles) will that money be counted toward my PQD total?
Maybe.

If the purchase triggers a re-fare and puts you in a new fare bucket for travel then yes. If not, no. And it is generally not readily apparent which way it will go just from the offer screen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2015 at 9:10 pm Reason: split post due to move
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Book award on non-alliance codeshares?

Not sure if this is a stupid question: I'm trying to book SYD-ZQN using UA miles. The only nonstop Air New Zealand flight has a crappy 7am departure time, which I prefer to avoid during a relaxing vacation. There's a 10:40am departure that's operated by Virgin Australia, codeshare with Air New Zealand. Am I able to book this using UA miles? I know I can't do it online since it doesn't show up in the search, but can I do it over the phone?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by copilot5
Not sure if this is a stupid question: I'm trying to book SYD-ZQN using UA miles. The only nonstop Air New Zealand flight has a crappy 7am departure time, which I prefer to avoid during a relaxing vacation. There's a 10:40am departure that's operated by Virgin Australia, codeshare with Air New Zealand. Am I able to book this using UA miles? ...
No, what matters is the flight operator -- award flights are always booked under the flight operator's designation and only UA or *A or MP partners can be booked with UA MP miles.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: United Gold
My company bought me a bulk ticket IAD-HNL. I called the 1K line to try and see how much it would cost to re-fare the ticket from U to some to some First Class fare, but the agent said it wouldn't let her even check how much that would cost.

She did say that if R space opened up (it's currently R0 but F7) I could use an RPU to upgrade.

Should I try to call again for a more knowledgeable agent or can bulk fares not be modified to a First Class fare?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
My company bought me a bulk ticket IAD-HNL. I called the 1K line to try and see how much it would cost to re-fare the ticket from U to some to some First Class fare, but the agent said it wouldn't let her even check how much that would cost.

She did say that if R space opened up (it's currently R0 but F7) I could use an RPU to upgrade.

Should I try to call again for a more knowledgeable agent or can bulk fares not be modified to a First Class fare?
Normally TA tickets can only be modified by the TA or you pay a fee to have UA take over the ticket. You need to check with your employer & TA if it is OK for UA to take control of the ticket.

BULK tickets are an issue for a numbers of reason such as not PQM earning and likely non RDM earning and reduced mileage earning . The actual ticket price is hidden and therefore what the agent stated is correct. Generally UA will not take over BULK Fare. Note - BULK fares are likely deeply discount from a more ticket of the same fare class.

Some BULK fares are non-upgradeable but fortunately sounds like yours is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2015 at 7:15 pm Reason: corrected error
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Newb question on award booking.

I have found a Saver Business/First (2-cabin) award available on a CVG-ORD-BRU-BKK flight. The BRU-BKK leg is operated by TG. The award costs 80k miles indicating it is for First on a 2-cabin instead of Business on a 3-cabin. My question is about the TG segment. I can't see the seat map for TG on UAs website. If I book this how do I know what I will be getting on the TG leg? Will I be in first? Business if their plane is 3-cabin? TG leg is a 777-300. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
... I have found a Saver Business/First (2-cabin) award available on a CVG-ORD-BRU-BKK flight. ....If I book this how do I know what I will be getting on the TG leg? Will I be in first? Business if their plane is 3-cabin? TG leg is a 777-300. Thanks in advance.
Saver Business/First (2-cabin) (I/IN) will book into business on a 3-class aircraft. F on 3-class requires O.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:03 pm

A question about club access: I will be travelling tomorrow on a domestic UA itinerary. I am UA Silver. I am Turkish Airlines (*A) gold (and have a card to prove it). The miles will be credited to my UA account. Will I have lounge access?

I think the answer is yes, and perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I can't definitively make sense of either the *A or UA pages, which seem to be almost wilfully ambiguous on this matter.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by williamsmj
A question about club access: I will be travelling tomorrow on a domestic UA itinerary. I am UA Silver. I am Turkish Airlines (*A) gold (and have a card to prove it). The miles will be credited to my UA account. Will I have lounge access?

To be eligible to enter the lounge via a non-UA *Gold, the agents can ask that your BP show crediting to that particular FF.

Having said that, showing just your card might work.

As for the rules, the rules are pretty clear with respect to *G access on domestic itineraries. Those rules assume alignment of the FF card and the one being credited to on the BP.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
To be eligible to enter the lounge via a non-UA *Gold, the agents can ask that your BP show crediting to that particular FF.

Having said that, showing just your card might work.

As for the rules, the rules are pretty clear with respect to *G access on domestic itineraries. Those rules assume alignment of the FF card and the one being credited to on the BP.
I have used *A dozens and dozens of times with it never having been same account as on my BP
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anandrag
I have used *A dozens and dozens of times with it never having been same account as on my BP
And there's plenty of anecdotal information where the lounge dragons are insistent on this matching.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aacharya
And there's plenty of anecdotal information where the lounge dragons are insistent on this matching.
Basically, the definitive answer is maybe.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I hope this counts as a simple question.

Using miles, I have purchased an Award trip for my wife and I to Europe this summer.

The "outbound" is a partner flight from USA to Italy, with a short break in the UK in the middle. The return is from Italy to the USA, albeit leaving from a different Italian airport.

All legs are currently on partner Airlines, but all booked on the United website as a single itinerary.

IIRC, I tried to book that "outbound" as a separate stand-alone one-way Award trip, and I thought I had booked the "return" as a separate stand-alone one-way Award trip.

The reason for that was that I knew I would likely be making a change to the return itinerary at some point.

However the receipt I am looking at on United.com shows a single United Ticket Number covering all legs.

That said, the receipt includes a physical gap in the printout between the outbound and the return.

The outbound is in Saver Business
The return is in Saver Economy.

The reason is that at the time
a) there were no Saver Award Business seats
b) I couldn't afford Regular Award Business seats, didn't have enough miles.

I will shortly have enough miles to change that "return" segment, however it will be a completely different itinerary (and also in Regular Business Award).

The question is can I amend the return itinerary without affecting the outbound itinerary?

(i.e. if I amend the last part of the itinerary, does the whole ticket need to be reissued, and would that negate my Saver Business Award for the outbound)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Motorskills
IIRC, I tried to book that "outbound" as a separate stand-alone one-way Award trip, and I thought I had booked the "return" as a separate stand-alone one-way Award trip.

The reason for that was that I knew I would likely be making a change to the return itinerary at some point.

However the receipt I am looking at on United.com shows a single United Ticket Number covering all legs. ...
An award RT is a combination of one-ways. But only an RT is allowed to have >24 hour stopover. So as separate OWs you would have not been able to have the short break / stopover @ LHR. RT was needed to meet your requirement.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-tickets.html

Originally Posted by Motorskills
....The outbound is in Saver Business
The return is in Saver Economy.

The reason is that at the time
a) there were no Saver Award Business seats
b) I couldn't afford Regular Award Business seats, didn't have enough miles.

I will shortly have enough miles to change that "return" segment, however it will be a completely different itinerary (and also in Regular Business Award).

The question is can I amend the return itinerary without affecting the outbound itinerary?...
yes, not a problem -- but there may be a fee for the change

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:39 pm

SO I will have 100k UA points or so (50k from UA credit card, 50k from flying over the years) . RIght now i am silver, how much are these points worth?
THe whole PQM thing is very confusing. I am not planning on flying anywhere though apart from whatever i can get out of free flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.