Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:55 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. There are three companies involved so I'm not sure where this should go.

I foolishly used JustFly (never again!) to book a flight with my husband to Greece this August. It was apparently booked on United, but the outbound (JFK-GVA-ATH) is a codeshare on Swiss and the return is on Austrian. In my unsuccessful attempts to get seat assignments yesterday, Swiss told me that they don't have my tickets and that they need to be reissued by United. United says all is well on their end and I need to talk to JustFly. JustFly is completely useless and has no idea what I'm saying.

Do I need to be concerned that Swiss does not have the tickets, or is this fairly standard on codeshares? I have confirmation numbers for all three airlines and the United e-ticket numbers. I just don't want a nasty surprise when I show up at the airport. I'm already annoyed that I can't choose my seats.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Coupons4baq
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. There are three companies involved so I'm not sure where this should go.

I foolishly used JustFly (never again!) to book a flight with my husband to Greece this August. It was apparently booked on United, but the outbound (JFK-GVA-ATH) is a codeshare on Swiss and the return is on Austrian. In my unsuccessful attempts to get seat assignments yesterday, Swiss told me that they don't have my tickets and that they need to be reissued by United. United says all is well on their end and I need to talk to JustFly. JustFly is completely useless and has no idea what I'm saying.

Do I need to be concerned that Swiss does not have the tickets, or is this fairly standard on codeshares? I have confirmation numbers for all three airlines and the United e-ticket numbers. I just don't want a nasty surprise when I show up at the airport. I'm already annoyed that I can't choose my seats.
If the airline operating your flight is telling you that you have no ticket, I would definitely be concerned, since they are the ones who are gonna have to give you a seat and let you on the plane.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
If the airline operating your flight is telling you that you have no ticket, I would definitely be concerned, since they are the ones who are gonna have to give you a seat and let you on the plane.
Ok, thanks, I thought it was weird. I'll start my round-robin of calls again and try to convince someone to fix the issue.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ok, thanks, I thought it was weird. I'll start my round-robin of calls again and try to convince someone to fix the issue.
A key piece of info to use in your call is the ticket number -- if issued by UA it will start with 016 and be an additional 10/11 digits.

On UA.com, does your reservation mention anything about trip confirmation codes? It should be noted in the top of the reservation page?

Look for
This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A key piece of info to use in your call is the ticket number -- if issued by UA it will start with 016 and be an additional 10/11 digits.

On UA.com, does your reservation mention anything about trip confirmation codes? It should be noted in the top of the reservation page?

Look for
Thanks--the ticket number does have all of those things, so definitely UA. On UA.com, it does mention the trip confirmation code and gives the one for Swiss when I mouse over the hyperlink.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
As a corollary to OP's question, when low-price websites knit together itineraries like this, are they what I've heard referred to as "bulk fares"? Does UA have a specific policy with regard to bulk fares, e.g., no advance seat assignments?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
As a corollary to OP's question, when low-price websites knit together itineraries like this, are they what I've heard referred to as "bulk fares"? Does UA have a specific policy with regard to bulk fares, e.g., no advance seat assignments?
While "bulk" fare may not be PQD earning and have special rules for RDMs, there is no seating issue on UA operated flights. (One of) The OP's problem is many European flight operators (and others around the global) are restricting pre-flight seat assignments for deep discount and award tickets.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:10 pm

I have an award flight from EWR to LHR booked in September. I had no elite status when I made the booking. I am currently seated in regular Economy.

I do not currently have United status, but I am considering a status challenge that would mean I would hold Gold status for 90 days (including the award flight).

If I were to do this, would I get complimentary access to E+ for this ticket? And would I get E+ access immediately, or would I have to wait until check-in? I've read this page (in particular footnote 1), but I'm still unsure.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by williamsmj
I do not currently have United status, but I am considering a status challenge that would mean I would hold Gold status for 90 days (including the award flight).

If I were to do this, would I get complimentary access to E+ for this ticket? And would I get E+ access immediately, or would I have to wait until check-in? ...
Once you have Gold or higher status, you will be able to select E+ seating (no additional cost) immediately.

To do a status challenge with UA you will need to have an equivalent status with a another major non *A airline.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Travel Waivers

When a travel waiver is issued, can one also change to partner flights, so long as the other requirements of the waiver are met (such as keeping same departure/arrival cities.)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:49 pm

Amenity kits

Please educate me regarding amenity kits. Never having received one I am unclear as to when they are available. Are they passed out routinely or a requested item? From occasional comments I have the understanding they are limited to First and/or Business class international flights...is this correct?
I'll be traveling paid FC on UA in August on a red-eye LAX-ORD. Would they likely be available on that flight?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dphmicn
Please educate me regarding amenity kits. Never having received one I am unclear as to when they are available. Are they passed out routinely or a requested item? From occasional comments I have the understanding they are limited to First and/or Business class international flights...is this correct?
Only in international BusinessFirst and GlobalFirst. They are typically handed out by the FA prior to departure. Sometimes they are waiting on the seat. You do not have to ask.

Originally Posted by dphmicn
I'll be traveling paid FC on UA in August on a red-eye LAX-ORD. Would they likely be available on that flight?
Sorry, no chance. Bring your own pillow, too, because they won't give you one of those either.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 9, 2015 at 10:31 am Reason: quote the member's name when quoting all parts of their post
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:34 pm

Whats the easiest way to change a flight from saver economy to saver business?

(Also, would this be the same if I wanted to change flights, but same day/destination? Curious about switching from partner airline to united instead)

I saw this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ets-miles.html and wanted to confirm if thats true...and if I have to call to make the change. Trying to do so online is giving me an error
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by VizeL
Whats the easiest way to change a flight from saver economy to saver business?

(Also, would this be the same if I wanted to change flights, but same day/destination? Curious about switching from partner airline to united instead)
This can be done either on line or over the phone. There will be no phone fee.

Online can sometimes fail and then phone will be the only option. In changing to saver business, availability will be needed and there can be "mixed cabin" results if not all segments have the saver business inventory.

Depending in how close to travel you are doing this there may be a change fee (online or phone) for doing this.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Thanks for your help. I'm less than 3 weeks away, with no status. Do you know if they charge a close-in fee as well as a change fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.