Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 8:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Should I wait until the Silver kicks in before booking, or will the system automatically apply the new status to flights that were booked during the time period when I had no status?
It should.

IIRC there were reports where you had to call in to get taken care of, not sure if it's still a problem.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
It should.

IIRC there were reports where you had to call in to get taken care of, not sure if it's still a problem.
I booked three flights before I reached Silver. All of them have the CPU flag, so I think the status has been applied.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by trainsplanes
All of them have the CPU flag, so I think the status has been applied.
Sounds like the bug may have been fixed ^
Old May 26, 2015, 5:24 pm

Silver Status 350k miles LA to Rome

I've been researching quite a bit and can't seem to get my wife and I booked business/first on a 2 segment flight using any permutation. I have around 350,000 miles.

If you book with Lufthansa the code fare is X which means you cannot upgrade (I think?)

The only way it seems like we can upgrade is if we pick a non-saver award economy flight but then we don't have enough miles. It's 65,000 miles each person each way = 270,000. 80k miles will only get us an upgrade on one segment.

Does anybody have any suggestions? At this point we may switch our trip and just go to Tokyo or Seoul because of the mileage difference. Non stop business for 230k miles total.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Search EWR to Rome and then LAX to EWR. Or any EU gateway via EWR or the other hubs.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by js76wisco
I've been researching quite a bit and can't seem to get my wife and I booked business/first on a 2 segment flight using any permutation.
When are you trying to fly?

Two seats to Europe in saver business class can be a challenge. That's kind of the holy grail of award tickets. Generally requires starting your search well in advance and checking back again and again. Or waiting until the very last minute (i.e., within two weeks of departure). Award space can change on a daily basis; when it opens, it doesn't last long.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Earning on *A codeshares?

Do you earn MP PQM or RDM on a flight marketed by, but not operated by, a *A partner?

E.g., Air New Zealand markets a LAX-NAN Fiji Airways flight as an ANZ codeshare. Would that flight earn any MP miles if booked as an ANZ flight?
Old May 27, 2015, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
Do you earn MP PQM or RDM on a flight marketed by, but not operated by, a *A partner? ...
Likely no. In general to earn PQMs, the flight must be operated by a *A partner.

However, some non *A partners can earn RDMs -- see Other worldwide partners for list and details.

PQDs require the ticket be on 016 ticket stock or be UA operated, non-*A partners can earn PQDs when on 016 ticket stock.

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
... Would that flight earn any MP miles if booked as an ANZ flight?
No.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PQDs require the ticket be on 016 ticket stock or be UA operated, non-*A partners can earn PQDs when on 016 ticket stock.
Just to clarify, if the flight is not operated by UA or a partner, you don't earn anything, regardless of who issues the ticket. Premier Qualification
Old May 28, 2015, 12:49 pm

Any way to see the exact YTD PQD spend, without having to add it up for each flight, if you are at "Over $12,000?"

Many thanks
Old May 28, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Will try to make this as simple as possible:

-I purchased tickets in Y on a single reservation for my wife and I, ORD-SLC roundtrip departing tomorrow and returning Sunday.

-I applied an RPU to upgrade my wife on the outbound, thus PNR was automatically split (my upgrade ultimately cleared at t-96 hours).

-On the return, my upgrade cleared at t-96 hours, but because we are now on separate PNRs, my wife is not upgrade eligible because of the PNR split.

I called 1K desk to explain my situation, and they said that the only CPU option for her is to add herself to the waitlist at the airport on day of travel.

Is there any way for me to fight city hall on this and have her added to the WL or upgraded now if R exists, or is it just a matter of calling in until I find an agent who is willing to do it?
Old May 28, 2015, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Any way to see the exact YTD PQD spend, without having to add it up for each flight, if you are at "Over $12,000?"

Many thanks
Try going to detailed account summary -- the page that shows the individual flights credits and look at the very top of the page, last column of the account summary. The sum appears there for some.

Originally Posted by zcat18
.... Is there any way for me to fight city hall on this and have her added to the WL or upgraded now if R exists, or is it just a matter of calling in until I find an agent who is willing to do it?
essentially no -- hence http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html

Originally Posted by zcat18
.... or upgraded now if R exists, or is it just a matter of calling in until I find an agent who is willing to do it?
Existence of R does not mean CPUs are available.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I need some advice... I had a voucher that was set to expire about six months ago. I didn't want to waste it and knew I'd be flying sometime in July or August, but wasn't sure when, so I just went ahead and picked some dates and booked a round trip.

Now that it is getting closer I am thinking the trip will be longer (and I'm also thinking of making it open jaw), so I have a few questions:

1)When I just went to check the reservation to see the dates/times it said:

"! There has been a schedule change to your reservation. Please see the change in red in Flight Details."

And, then at the bottom there is a button to Continue (accepting the change) or Back. Is there an option to not accept it and change in some other way that I might prefer or maybe cancel it and get another voucher and start from scratch?

2)Assuming, I can't change for free due to #1... what is the cost to make changes and how much can you change? I think I saw it was $200 for a change fee. Is that date only, or can I change one of the airports to make it open jaw?

3)Can I use only the return trip? (I'd rather use miles to shell out another $200 change fee)

4)What about changing the name? Is that still $200? (Thinking I might give it to my dad who might join us on just part of the trip)

Thanks for any/all help!
Old May 28, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by 7Lowe
Is there an option to not accept it and change in some other way that I might prefer or maybe cancel it and get another voucher and start from scratch?
You can click through and still call in and get something different. Or call first. But just clicking the button has never precluded other changes for me.

2)Assuming, I can't change for free due to #1... what is the cost to make changes and how much can you change? I think I saw it was $200 for a change fee. Is that date only, or can I change one of the airports to make it open jaw?
Assuming a domestic trip then probably $200 + fare difference. Doesn't matter if you're changing date, airports or otherwise.

3)Can I use only the return trip? (I'd rather use miles to shell out another $200 change fee)
Generally no. Assume that won't work in this case.

4)What about changing the name? Is that still $200? (Thinking I might give it to my dad who might join us on just part of the trip)
Nope. You would have to pay the $200 and then use the credit in the name of the original passenger. Any residual then goes to a new voucher which can be used by anyone. Back when there used to be relatively frequent $49 sales it was basically just an extra $49 on the change fee. These days finding those cheap fares is much, much harder.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

essentially no -- hence http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html

Existence of R does not mean CPUs are available.
O.k., got it--thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.