Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:26 pm

Two tickets same flight same name

Thanks for your help last month and Happy New Year to all.

I now have a paid ticket in first, and I also have award tickets in coach for the same flights. I needed to upgrade to first and didn't have enough miles for an award upgrade, so I bought a paid ticket in first class.

Now I need to cancel the award tickets that I no longer need. I was going to wait to see if the flights might be delayed by weather, perhaps saving myself some redeposit fees.

But I heard the other day that you can't have two tickets in the same name on the same flight. Is that true? Would they cancel one of my tickets without asking me?? If so, perhaps I need to cancel the award tickets now.

What's the best strategy? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:27 pm

Did united.com just discontinue logging in with a username? Why? The MP number is difficult to remember and random. All other sites, including banks and investment companies let me choose a user name - yet United decided to move back into the 90s? What gives?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k
Did united.com just discontinue logging in with a username? Why? The MP number is difficult to remember and random. All other sites, including banks and investment companies let me choose a user name - yet United decided to move back into the 90s? What gives?
There is a thread about this issue. Looks like they have suspended usernames for now due to security breaches.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Music2MyEars
... But I heard the other day that you can't have two tickets in the same name on the same flight. Is that true? ...
correct
... Would they cancel one of my tickets without asking me?? ....
possible, it has been reported. But others have reported not being detected or being called first.
... What's the best strategy? .....
depends on your risk tolerance
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:14 am

I don't fly as much as most of you and I'm always in economy. I'm saving for my first and possibly only (for many years at least) business class flight. We also have 1 day United passes we'd like to use. My question is, what route will get the best bang for our buck if we really just want to experience business+lounge. I'm interested in the IAH-NRT route but the 777-200 2-2-2 config had mixed reviews from what I saw. I'm flying out of DFW but we are fine with a few hops. I'll likely have the miles by Christmas or late summer.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I don't fly as much as most of you and I'm always in economy. I'm saving for my first and possibly only (for many years at least) business class flight. We also have 1 day United passes we'd like to use. My question is, what route will get the best bang for our buck if we really just want to experience business+lounge. I'm interested in the IAH-NRT route but the 777-200 2-2-2 config had mixed reviews from what I saw. I'm flying out of DFW but we are fine with a few hops. I'll likely have the miles by Christmas or late summer.
A couple of thoughts
- if flying business you will have access to UCs/*A lounges (no need for UC passes)
- there is no lounge in the USA that is worth picking a routing to visit, all the UCs are pretty much the same. The LH lounge in IAD is argurably the best *A lounge in the USA, the SQ lounge in SFO is also in top 2 or 3 but rather small.
- All the lounges in NRT are a significant step above the domestic lounges.

Focus more on total travel time and in flight seat quality.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:06 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
The above is a one-passenger reservation. I'm the passenger. Yet on the Manage Reservations page, I'm seeing my name repeated thrice, like there are multiple me's. As much as I love seeing my own name, and knowing that the world can never get enough of me, I nevertheless wonder what gives?

RNE, looking for two fellow travelers with my name; failing that, a mad scientist to clone me.

P.S. On the reservation's detail page I see my name just once.

P.P.S. Hope I receive 3x PQMs and RDMs. ^
Bump.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RNE
Bump.
Call and ask. Or ignore it.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:15 pm

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I know a mod will move it if it's more appropriate somewhere else. I have a flight booked through LH on LH and SA metal and I'm hoping to credit the miles to my MileagePlus account. I had the mileage amounts all calculated, and then UA announced their new earning method for 2015. My problem is that half of my itinerary is before March, when the new program is put in place, and half is after. Does anyone know how I would calculate the miles I'll earn? I also read somewhere about the fare class multiplier times the cost of the ticket is only for UA-operated flights, is this true? Looking for any answers/any information that might be helpful! Thanks!

Last edited by gw2017; Jan 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gw2017
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I know a mod will move it if it's more appropriate somewhere else. I have a flight booked through LH on LH and SA metal and I'm hoping to credit the miles to my MileagePlus account. I had the mileage amounts all calculated, and then UA announced their new earning method for 2015. My problem is that half of my itinerary is before March, when the new program is put in place, and half is after. Does anyone know how I would calculate the miles I'll earn? I also read somewhere about the fare class multiplier times the cost of the ticket is only for UA-operated flights, is this true? Looking for any answers/any information that might be helpful! Thanks!
Your pre-March 1 flights will credit to Mileage Plus based on the currently published partner earnings charts.

It's not yet known how partner operated flights ticketed on non-UA stock will credit. It will be some variant of the current model (a percentage of miles flown), but the details have not been revealed.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:44 pm

Post March 2015, will a flight booked on UA/A class, earn PQM of distance flown x 1.5 or only distance flown with no bump for class of service?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annapurna
Post March 2015, will a flight booked on UA/A class, earn PQM of distance flown x 1.5 or only distance flown with no bump for class of service?
No change in PQM earning has been announce. The March change is for RDMs, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'm interested in the IAH-NRT route but the 777-200 2-2-2 config had mixed reviews from what I saw.
Mixed reviews

There's a lot of sUA v sCO bashing on this board, and I'll just leave it at that.

There is no doubt that 2-4-2 seating on sUA is not as optimal as 2-2-2 seating on sCO 777.

Personally, I love 747 upper deck, but unfortunately that means I play the lottery of whether it will fly or go MX. And yes, all planes risk going MX, it's just that UA's 747 have a much higher rate
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Mixed reviews

There's a lot of sUA v sCO bashing on this board, and I'll just leave it at that.

There is no doubt that 2-4-2 seating on sUA is not as optimal as 2-2-2 seating on sCO 777.

Personally, I love 747 upper deck, but unfortunately that means I play the lottery of whether it will fly or go MX. And yes, all planes risk going MX, it's just that UA's 747 have a much higher rate
Ok I'm sorry but I didn't understand the majority of what you said. What's sUA vs sCO? What's MX? Like I said, I'm not much of a frequent flyer.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:35 pm

Ok I'm sorry but I didn't understand the majority of what you said. What's sUA vs sCO? What's MX? Like I said, I'm not much of a frequent flyer.
We do use a lot of shorthand on FT.
See the wiki in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html for help in the future.

sCO / sUA: Subsidiary Continental or subsidiary United -- until the merger is finalized, certain things (aircraft, flight crews, ...) are not yet fully integrated. Tends to be used in reference to practices / policies / employees / aircraft by the group they are still segregated in. sCo uses UA flight numbers 1 - 199 & 1000 - 1299, and sUA uses 200-999. (exception is sUA 739s which use flight numbers in the sCO range )
MX:Mechanical -- signifying a mechanical issue with an aircraft leading to a delay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.