Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you would still have to split the PNR in order to make the gate (visible) list. If you don't split, you're both ineligible for gate upgrade.
Many thanks. Is the best time to split at T-23hours?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Many thanks. Is the best time to split at T-23hours?
Splitting occurs at check-in (or you can do manually earlier). Lots of debates on "best" time

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Splitting occurs at check-in (or you can do manually earlier). Lots of debates on "best" time

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
Thanks for those links very helpful. So for me as someone who would rather sit with wife and child (read: feel far too guilty leaving wife with child in E+) I will do nothing and my PNR won't be split and I accept losing the chance of a gate CPU.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
So for me as someone who would rather sit with wife and child (read: feel far too guilty leaving wife with child in E+)
No need to feel guilty: Wife and child sit in FC, you in coach.

Believe that's the popular consensus

Last edited by goalie; Aug 31, 2015 at 11:05 pm Reason: Off topic and trolling comments removed
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:28 pm

I know this is rather general, but did Mileage Plus saver awards just get a lot worse this year? I usually bool 330 days out and am able to find pretty good itineraries from Japan back to America. This year I see none at the lowest saver level. All of the decent itineraries are at Economy Standard level. Kind of bummed. I used to get great flights out of Mileage Plus. Maybe they are going the route of other programs giving us elongated segments, etc.... Thoughts?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by samhfoley
did Mileage Plus saver awards just get a lot worse this year? I usually bool 330 days out
Hard to say, but they don't release all the seats at 330 days either. You just have to keep looking for when they do open up inventory.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:53 am

Meals business class EWR->NRT

The title says it all. What are the meals (lunch only??? Or lunch and dinner)? When are thy served (at take off, six hour after takeoff)?

I think it is flight 87.

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
The title says it all. What are the meals (lunch only??? Or lunch and dinner)? When are thy served (at take off, six hour after takeoff)?
Normal routine is pre departure drinks, nuts then meal, say about hour and a half after takeoff, breakfast about an hour (maybe a little more) before landing.

They have (IIRC) started asking if you would like to be woken for breakfast.

This is pretty universal for all long haul flights, not just this one.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:21 pm

I live in Japan and booked a U.S. Ticket to DC from United, I have 140000 miles, no real status, I want to upgrade to business class, but it says no upgrade available, even though I don't fly till November, 3 months from now. It seems the miles don't really have any value, if I can't use them on my limited opportunities,can anyone help? Also, mostly I have to talk online as Japan is 13 hours time difference
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ishtaar1
I live in Japan and booked a U.S. Ticket to DC from United, I have 140000 miles, no real status, I want to upgrade to business class, but it says no upgrade available, even though I don't fly till November, 3 months from now. It seems the miles don't really have any value, if I can't use them on my limited opportunities,can anyone help? ....
Availability of upgrades can be a difficult thing. UA would prefer to sell the seat for $$$ and needs to keep space available for the last minute business travel that will pay big $$$.
Popular routes / popular times may initially have some upgrade or award seats but those will go away months ago.

If paid bookings are slow UA may open up more space of awards or upgrades.
You best bet now is likely need to wait until close to travel for a waitlisted upgrade to clear and unfortunately it may never clear especially for a low status traveled.

What to do?

Check alternative routings to see available is better.
Check different days -- available popular days -- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
Waitlist and hope.
Pick a good E+ seat, just in case.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 pm

I am trying to book a flight in J from Venice to IAD (1 stop in FRA) in January. The FRA-IAD flight is on United and every single J seat is available, however there is no saver availability. When does United release these seats? Is there a tool I can use? I know Expert Flyer doesn't work with United.

My plan is to transfer MR points to Aeroplan and book the tickets the moment they are available. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by khochurn
When does United release these seats?
If and when they feel they won't sell them. You just have to keep checking.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:38 am

So I just called UA because on my reservation it said to.

I had called them yesterday to ask to upgrade with miles for my flight on Saturday and they added me to the waitlist. Today when I called they said they just wanted to confirm my CPU.

Why would she call it a CPU? She said CPU a number of times. I'm silver so not even eligible for CPU until Friday. (I didn't think of asking this question until I was off the phone)

Also at the moment:

United FirstŪ: 20 | Booked: 17 | Checked In: 0 and there is only 1 person on the upgrade standby list (which is weird in itself because we are 36+ hours out from the flight)

As a silver what are the chances I would have cleared this upgrade tomorrow and saved 20,000 (x2) miles
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:54 am

So I just called UA because on my reservation it said to.

I had called them yesterday to ask to upgrade with miles for my flight on Saturday and they added me to the waitlist. Today when I called they said they just wanted to confirm my CPU.

Why would she call it a CPU? She said CPU a number of times. I'm silver so not even eligible for CPU until Friday. (I didn't think of asking this question until I was off the phone)
Called back - they made a mistake

Also at the moment:

United FirstŪ: 20 | Booked: 17 | Checked In: 0 and there is only 1 person on the upgrade standby list (which is weird in itself because we are 36+ hours out from the flight)

As a silver what are the chances I would have cleared this upgrade tomorrow and saved 20,000 (x2) miles
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Availability of upgrades can be a difficult thing. UA would prefer to sell the seat for $$$ and needs to keep space available for the last minute business travel that will pay big $$$.
Popular routes / popular times may initially have some upgrade or award seats but those will go away months ago.

If paid bookings are slow UA may open up more space of awards or upgrades.
You best bet now is likely need to wait until close to travel for a waitlisted upgrade to clear and unfortunately it may never clear especially for a low status traveled.

What to do?

Check alternative routings to see available is better.
Check different days -- available popular days -- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
Waitlist and hope.
Pick a good E+ seat, just in case.
Is waitlist and hope where the award is ticketed as Business/First, but they reserve space in economy which you would fly if you don't get upgraded? Does this require booking over the phone and what occurs if only 1 segment in a multiple segment route is upgraded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.