Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I disagree with this. Most juniour crews I have are enjoying the galley extremely loud.
What is there to disagree with? I posed a question. You suggest that junior crews make more noise in the galley than seniors, which I agree would be no bueno, especially on night flights.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
(2) Turbot (asian BBQ sauce, soy glaze, baby bok choy, pickled turnips, rice
BBQ sauce on fish strikes me as an odd flavor combo.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA 536 - SFO-EWR (Lunch/dinner?)

Our flight ended up leaving more than an hour late because the plane got switched and turnaround was a bit slower than projected. As such, while this was originally coded as a 2:55 PM departure (which would be lunch), the menu sure looked and felt more like dinner. You be the judge (also - new menu design, which I like better):

Obligatory beer picture

I really liked the salad - very healthy and flavorful, but I do wish that they had simply had a vinaigrette with the salad instead of 'lemon' olive oil, which tasted pretty much like regular olive oil but less strong. The goat cheese was stellar - could have used a slightly bigger piece of bread but no complaints. We were also served a roll (forgot to get a picture of that) that was warm and chewy - slathered it up with butter and chowed down.

Both my wife and I went with the steak option. While it certainly looks decent, it was a bit overcooked and chewy (and a bit hard to cut, although there's probably a limitation on how sharp the knives allowed on board can be). The chimichurri sauce had a nice amount of zesty flavor and spice. Beans were solid, while the broccoli tasted about as lively as it looks.

Sundae with Oreo crumbs, strawberries in syrup, and whipped cream. Definitely not ice cream - it was not as dense as the old sundaes - but it also wasn't as light as regular gelato is. I didn't mind, given I was stuffed at this point, but I do prefer good old-fashioned ice cream when it comes to vanilla bean.

Cookie about an hour before touchdown. Could have been warmed up a tad longer (like 5-10 seconds) to increase gooeyness, but otherwise solid as always. My wife initially refused because she didn't want one, but I gave her a look, and she took it and handed it right to me. I must've scarfed both down fast because the FA came around and offered me another one (I declined)

Overall - food was solid, and FAs were very good (this was a 28J 752, so probably a regular p.s. crew).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Pictures of the p.s. duck confit ravioli and turbot entrees, along with the chicken appetizer and pumpkin-seed salad ...

Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rch4u
Pictures of the p.s. duck confit ravioli and turbot entrees, along with the chicken appetizer and pumpkin-seed salad ...
Someone in the galley did a very nice job plating those. It makes a big difference whether the FAs actually pay attention to the heating and plating. This is one of those areas where UA's service inconsistencies really show.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rch4u
Pictures of the p.s. duck confit ravioli ...

I have had this recently and was also please -- could have used just a bit of sauce / olive oil but really was quite decent. And was plated nicely.

A nice change from standard beef or chicken. ^
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have had this recently and was also please -- could have used just a bit of sauce / olive oil but really was quite decent. And was plated nicely.

A nice change from standard beef or chicken. ^
My trick with this dish is to toss it like a salad.

There's some nice sauce, but it's all pooled at the bottom and doesn't coat the pasta unless you mix it up.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I flew IAH - ORD on a 737-900 in F today and the meals served lacked bread/rolls and cookies. Is this part of the new flexibility United is trying to adopt? This is a new one for me.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA: Premier Silver
UA822 - DEN-SFO (Breakfast)

Only bad thing the grapes when flipped over had a rotten one. Not picture: the cinnamon roll which came later. French Toast Souffle or a Spinach Souffle option. I chose the French Toast which was good.

Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA: Premier Silver
UA698 - SFO-ORD (Lunch)

Choices were something along with cheesey grits or the Beef with vegetables.

Beef was good, can't complain. Sorbet for the desert.

Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
UA144 HNL-IAD F Nov 2015

UA144 HNL-IAD First Class Nov 2015

Beautiful view on climb out:

Three choices for dinner entres: short ribs, chicken, or pasta. Service was poor. Skipped pre-departures. Moscow Mule took 30 minutes to be delivered after the beverage service began (fortunately, I was not charged for it). Salad and entre were actually good, and improvements on this route. HNL forgot to cater the dessert, and this wasn't even announced. When asked, no apology offered. Dinner service items (wine glasses, linens) remained uncollected until decent. I slept through breakfast, so I'm not sure what was on offer.

Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
UA144 HNL-IAD First Class Nov 2015

Dinner service items (wine glasses, linens) remained uncollected until descent.
8 hours later, they were still uncollected?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
6am SFO-EWR p.s.

Raisin Brain with fruit, waffle with some sauce or quiche. No menus printed.

Took 1:55min for first tray to be delivered (row 3 of the front cabin). 15 min later had the quiche. Was tasty but I just ate a little off the top and then ate what I brought on board.
I had the same breakfast this morning on FLL-EWR sans potatoes and greek yogurt (and the obligatory UA cinnamon roll).
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SFO777
8 hours later, they were still uncollected?
Correct. My wine glass and linen napkin remained on the center console for at least 7 hours. The only reason I held onto the napkin was because I was anticipating ice cream. After the crew cleaned up the dinner trays they literally disappeared from first class cabin until breakfast. I had to go back to the galley to inquire about dessert.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Dec 2015 p.s.
EWR->LAX 16J version
3PM

No amenities offered.

I appreciate the new food offerings, but felt like United just tried to hard with this one. Beets, blue Cheese, grapefruit, and olive oil just don't complement each other. Main was pretty small.

FA insisted on collecting all linens, including napkins, prior to serving the sundaes??? Bizarre. Luckily I didn't end up with a blob of caramel on my shirt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.