Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by physioprof
What was that entree in the middle picture? Having trouble figuring it out, especially the flat thing on the right side of the plate.
That is the chicken pot pie. The round thing is half of a biscuit. It's actually quite tasty although the visual appeal isn't the best, IMHO.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 1kBill
That is the chicken pot pie. The round thing is half of a biscuit. It's actually quite tasty although the visual appeal isn't the best, IMHO.
Yeah, it does look kind of weird.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
SAT-SFO
Dinner, 5/26
E175

My first time trying out the new meal service on a UX flight. Full PDB service. After take-off, FA first served beverages (in real glasses), then brought hot towels. No nuts (not sure if nuts are supposed to be part of service?). Entrée choices were a chicken sandwich (cold) + couscous side salad and an Asian noodle salad with a side fruit salad (the same Asian noodle salad from BOB). I opted for the chicken sandwich – ended up being chicken, arugula, pickled onion, and provolone cheese. Sandwich was decent – about the same quality as what I might pick up in the airport (this is my threshold, really – do I regret not picking up a salad / sandwich before the flight?). I didn’t care for the couscous salad. Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie that was pretty tasty. All in all, definitely a change I like (although, I’d probably pick the noodle salad entrée next time). Was very nice not to have to scramble for food at the airport before departure.

Side note: 12 F passengers seems like a fair amount of work for one FA. The FA was definitely busy, but was actually really fabulous and had a great attitude. Surprising how much of a difference that makes when you don’t feel like you’re imposing on them when asking extra questions about the food or making a special request for a lime, etc.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I truly have to give United credit -- from plastic cups and snack boxes to this is a great leap. And WiFi too.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I truly have to give United credit -- from plastic cups and snack boxes to this is a great leap. And WiFi too.
Agreed, though I have one minor beverage quibble: I discovered on a short CR7 hop recently that prosecco is apparently served on mainline-only.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Agreed, though I have one minor beverage quibble: I discovered on a short CR7 hop recently that prosecco is apparently served on mainline-only.
Definitely a quibble of mine as well. Another UX beverage quibble: the SAT-SFO E175 didn't have limes/lemons catered, but the SFO-EUG E175 did. SAT-SFO FA said that they usually had them when flying out of SFO, but not when coming form ORD (which they were). Anyways, I'll only get a gin & tonic if there are limes or lemons available, so if that's what I want, I have to ask if they're available.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Isn't this just bring UA up to the level of what AA and DL have been doing for years now? I don't give them credit for that personally.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Isn't this just bring UA up to the level of what AA and DL have been doing for years now? I don't give them credit for that personally.
So, you do not agree that this new food and service on UAX is better than what used to be offered on UAX?

Who cares what AA and DL are doing? If you prefer their offerings, and their flight schedules work for you, fly them!
Old May 28, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
So, you do not agree that this new food and service on UAX is better than what used to be offered on UAX?

Who cares what AA and DL are doing? If you prefer their offerings, and their flight schedules work for you, fly them!
Of course it's better - it's not hard to when you are the worst among your competitive peers, by a long shot.

I think many of us would love to see UA take a leadership position for a change (in a good way of course), that's all.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Well apparently someone on W. Wacker cares what AA and DL are doing, or else why would they copy DL and AA? Why not just stick with the UAX Snack Boxes?
Old May 28, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jewels421
SAT-SFO
Dinner, 5/26
E175

My first time trying out the new meal service on a UX flight. Full PDB service. After take-off, FA first served beverages (in real glasses), then brought hot towels. No nuts (not sure if nuts are supposed to be part of service?).
Nuts are supposed to be part of the drink service. Out of the last 5 UX flights taken only once were they served with the drink, 3 times after the cookie, and once not at all.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course it's better - it's not hard to when you are the worst among your competitive peers, by a long shot.

I think many of us would love to see UA take a leadership position for a change (in a good way of course), that's all.
I think UA now has the best domestic meals and frankly after flying AA and DL in premium cabins, I prefer UA's int'l meals as well. Even coach meals is getting a facelift.

The bigger picture (not for this thread) is this: UA has nothing on LH, EK, SQ and the rest -- but in terms of a domestic and int'l experience compared to US legacies...well I don't find UA's seats (PMUA or CO) uncomfortable and I think food and service is better than DL and AA (though my experience is admittedly rather limited on DL). UA has even almost caught upon WiFi.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN-CLE
UA 833
A320
Wifi and Personal Entertainment but no power (brilliant Jeff!)
10:03A-2:55P
May 26, 2015
Lunch

Another excellent UA crew today. Lunch choices today were pretty much the same as last week, cheeseburger or chicken cobb salad with mushroom soup. The salad was a little skimpier than last week.

But the cheeseburger was not bad and the cheese was actually on the burger instead of fused to the plate like last week.

About 30 minutes after lunch, a delicious fresh baked chocolate chip cookie.

And the next morning after the Cavs clinched the NBA Eastern Conference crown.

CLE-DEN
UA 3539
E70
11:37A-1:05P
May 27, 2015
Lunch

We only took this flight since Mrs. SFO doesn't do early mornings. Choice of chicken wrap or Asian beef salad. By the time our FA got to 2CD, it was a choice of Asian salad or nothing. Mrs. SFO opted for nothing while I took the salad primarily for the photo op. OK, it was certainly better than a snack box and way better than getting stuck on USdbaAA Mesa from LAX-DEN but meh. Otis Spunkmeyer was the best part of this tray. FAs need serious training in the art of service, as among other things, the nuts were delivered on the tray with the meal. Yeah, I'm sure the manual shows that.

Last edited by SFO777; May 28, 2015 at 5:25 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Mushroom soup looks really good!
Old May 28, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I mostly do int'l so I was looking forward to trying the exciting new catering (last Sun, DFW-ORD). F/A offered me a hamburger. Mmmm, I thought, a nice juicy burger would really hit the spot. Then she passed me this:

Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.