Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice Sought on the Best Option for Flying SFO-FRA in Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Sought on the Best Option for Flying SFO-FRA in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I fly SFO-FRA-XXX a few times a year. A few thoughts.

1. Don't connect, don't connect, don't connect. If you do you'll have a much longer flight and a real risk of misconnects (both due to SFO and due to ZZZ in SFO-ZZZ-FRA).
2. I think the choice between non stops on UA vs LH depends crucially on your height. If you're over 5'9'' I'd go for UA (for the possibility of E+, even if it's less legroom than E+ on non-747 aircraft). If you're <5'9'' I'd recommend LH.
3. Another consideration is that on discount fares, LH won't assign seats. UA will (and you should check out the seat map as you book).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
SFO - FRA advice

I concur for the nonstop sfo-fra. Even e+ sucks on the 747 (ual), but if your work (and personal schedule) allows it, try to stay an extra night before you start working there so that your body has extra time to adjust to jet lag. And get a sandwich or something yummy at sfo before you board because it'll taste better than what you receive on the plane.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:09 am

If you do take the connection, do not do through EWR or IAD as the flight is much shorter...more time via ORD to get an OK night's sleep...just pop an ambien and put your head up against the window.

On that topic, doesn't the united flight from SFO leave much later in the day allowing you to be more ready to fall asleep?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
LH A380 has AVOD and UA B747 does not.
UA B747 has E+ and LH 380 does not.
UA flight earns Lifetime miles, LH flight does not.
LH has marginally better service in E than UA E

If I have to choose, I go with UA. 875K miles is so close to achieving 1MM.
I would add to that list that LH has a tendency to run cabins on the warm side. For many people, that would be OK, but I find it uncomfortable.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Thanks again for the info.....
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I were the OP, I'd shoot for a W fare, and try for a GPU upgrade on UA metal. As long as it's UA metal (easier if an 016 ticket), then it can be done. I know it can be done on LH metal with the new e-GPU request process, but I'm not as familiar with that.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by endrond
I fly SFO-FRA-XXX a few times a year. A few thoughts.

1. Don't connect, don't connect, don't connect. If you do you'll have a much longer flight and a real risk of misconnects (both due to SFO and due to ZZZ in SFO-ZZZ-FRA).
2. I think the choice between non stops on UA vs LH depends crucially on your height. If you're over 5'9'' I'd go for UA (for the possibility of E+, even if it's less legroom than E+ on non-747 aircraft). If you're <5'9'' I'd recommend LH.
3. Another consideration is that on discount fares, LH won't assign seats. UA will (and you should check out the seat map as you book).
Agreed.

I have flow SFO-FRA a few times and IIRC the IFE that plays on your tablet or laptop is pretty. Lots of movies. Just remember to download the latest app prior to getting on the plane.

E+ and a direct. Hard to argue with that. Lufthansa economy is painful
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Any chance you can tell how full the load is?

Maybe trying to snag an empty row could make it more doable for you?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckidder331
Any chance you can tell how full the load is?

As of now the 747 is pretty open....of course it all changes as we get closer but at least it's not a full flight yet.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ckidder331
Betting on an empty row is a fool's errand. You might get lucky but the odds of getting such are very, very low. Best to plan on that not happening.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:22 pm

Regarding UA IFE on the 747, it's much improved. Assuming you have ISP, which seems to be showing up more frequently. My last flight was in BF and I actually ended up using the streaming entertainment rather that what was on my PTV because the selection was better
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by BB2220
Regarding UA IFE on the 747, it's much improved. Assuming you have ISP, which seems to be showing up more frequently. My last flight was in BF and I actually ended up using the streaming entertainment rather that what was on my PTV because the selection was better
It would take more than streaming IFE to get me back into Y in a 747. Have the interiors been refreshed? The last two I've flown (and I admit it was 18 months since the last one) were not just "relics of the 80s" as someone mentioned, but felt, and smelled, like they hadn't been refurbed since then either.

I was initially in the camp of avoiding the 747 for the OP's trip like the plague, but reason has prevailed; the main point to the trip is not the flight but rather the destination, and a non-stop is going to be a better choice in January.

If nothing else, bad weather tends to cancel shorter flights first, even when the shorter flight is a TCON mainline. So you're more likely to "drill through" bad weather at SFO on the 747 to FRA than on a 737 to ORD or IAD.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:51 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
The exit row aisle seats -- 45C and 45H -- on a 747 are excellent seats for long-haul. Infinite legroom, and the people next to you can get out without waking you up. Bring a camp stool for a footrest (or use your rollaboard), pop some Ambien, and you've got a pretty decent ride.

Of course, there's nothing else to recommend the 747 in Y... and, unfortunately, you have to be Gold or above to pre-reserve the exit rows. (That said, they open up within 24 hours with surprisingly frequency, probably because the sort of people that grab 45C/45H also tend to put in GPU requests.

Which means it's probably not relevant to the OP. However, I figured it was worth pointing out that there are reasons to choose the 747 in Y over the alternatives. (Well, one, at least).
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QBK
The exit row aisle seats -- 45C and 45H -- on a 747 are excellent seats for long-haul. Infinite legroom, and the people next to you can get out without waking you up. Bring a camp stool for a footrest (or use your rollaboard), pop some Ambien, and you've got a pretty decent ride.
I actually did just that many years ago - made the trip moderately tolerable. After all is said and done I believe I'll most likely book the 747 and hope for E+ availability on the day of departure. Sounds like the best, or at least the non-worst, alternative!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BruceWG
I actually did just that many years ago - made the trip moderately tolerable. After all is said and done I believe I'll most likely book the 747 and hope for E+ availability on the day of departure. Sounds like the best, or at least the non-worst, alternative!
As a silver I was 100% on E+. I agree on the UA bird, last time I was in Y on LH I vowed it would be my last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.