Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with an Emotional Support/Service animal on UA Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with an Emotional Support/Service animal on UA Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by weero
Which law and why?

This is by its very nature an imaginary thing. Everyone knows - or has to know - that the plane doesn't get safer or calmer by hugging another species.

I'd remotely understand this if it was a mainstream psychiatric theory without drugs to induce a comparable effect. And even then the dog / pig / pony / vulture could travel inside an emotional support cage that allows the cra.. I mean the person in need to pat, scratch, rub the animal without any risk of the other passengers being injured.

Or maybe I should get a cert to have my emotional support wife travel for free with poor me.
As someone who pays $250- every time we fly with our dog, I am somewhat offended at the scamming that I have personally witnessed by others using the ESA card.

I have, on several occasions, had strangers with "ESA"s tell me that I didn't need to pay the outrageous PIC fees, I just needed to declare my dog as an ESA. One person told me that it is an insider trick for dog show people which allows them to fly without paying for their show dogs.

There are way too many scammers in this world! But, then again, maybe UA should have a more reasonable fee for PICs. There would then be less incentive to scam the system.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:48 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just as an update to this - I wrote to United about this, and got a call back within about 4 days (the holidays were kind of in the way). The rep was very friendly. Here's what she said:

-Yes, service animals are permitted and no paperwork / proof is needed, however if the animal exhibits behavior indicating that it will be a problem during the flight (e.g. snapping at passengers), the passenger and their animal can be deplaned at the captain's discretion
-However, United requires a written note from a doctor if the animal is an "emotional support animal".
-They know that there's quite a bit of abuse going on by passengers attempting to avoid the surcharge for animals or those who don't want to put their beloved pet in a cage/kennel. However, I didn't get the impression that this is something that's being worked on / dealt with as a matter of priority at United
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by itsMoe
However, I didn't get the impression that this is something that's being worked on / dealt with as a matter of priority at United
No airline is going to risk the bad PR on being proactive in enforcing ESA rules. All the pet lovers and wackos will come out of the woodwork saying they are being discriminated.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
The "problem" could be solved by charging for all animals EXCEPT registered Service Animals such as Seeing-Eye Dogs.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by mmack
The "problem" could be solved by charging for all animals EXCEPT registered Service Animals such as Seeing-Eye Dogs.
That would require creating a centralized registry of some sort, setting up a government agency or contractor to operate it, and amending federal laws to allow it.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
That would require creating a centralized registry of some sort, setting up a government agency or contractor to operate it, and amending federal laws to allow it.
It might be worth it for UA and other airlines to fund it as it would most likely boost revenue significantly.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
1 pax brings 2 dogs on UA flight

Yesterday I was on UA 536 MIA>DEN. I was seated in 2B when the pax in 2A boarded with 1 French bulldog on a leash and another in a carrier. The carrier went in the center between 1A/B and the leased pooch sat on the floor in front of my seatmate. When I questioned him about the dog in the carrier he replied the service animal (?) did better when traveling with the other dog - apparently the service animal requires a service animal of its own

I was going to squawk to the FA, but she was smitten with the pax & leashed dog, and I'd had enough confrontations this week from work ...so let it go.

Is this per UA policy or something the pax dreamt up and got the GA and FA to bless?

deek
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deek
Is this per UA policy or something the pax dreamt up and got the GA and FA to bless?

deek
Just like the passengers with "disabilities" - UA can't ask. So they don't.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by deek
...The carrier went in the center between 1A/B...
On the floor between the bulkhead and the seats in row 1? That seems a bit irregular, especially since the owner was in row 2 and nothing is generally allowed to be on the floor adjacent to the bulkhead for takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
The first dog maybe the pax's Emotipnal Support Animal. The second one is to support the first dog.

One wonders what are the legal rights of the rest of the pax ?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Bonehead
On the floor between the bulkhead and the seats in row 1? That seems a bit irregular, especially since the owner was in row 2 and nothing is generally allowed to be on the floor adjacent to the bulkhead for takeoff and landing.
I don't know the equip, but I know some have the under seat storage in 3 parts even in first. Maybe he means under 1A/1B?

Originally Posted by HMPS
The first dog maybe the pax's Emotipnal Support Animal. The second one is to support the first dog.

One wonders what are the legal rights of the rest of the pax ?
I know there have been lengthy threads about this, but I wonder what would happen if 2B had a dog hair allergy. Who has to move?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bonehead

It was on AS, but on a recently flight the passenger in 6A (bulkhead coach) had a small dog in a carrier on the floor (gate to gate). The FAs did not say anything. I was in 6C and the dog was well behaved, so it didn't bother me, but I did wonder whether FAA rules for empty foot space are pre-empted by service or emotional support dogs. I assume the airline could have reseated the passenger in another row.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
The need for an emotional support animal must be certified by a mental health provider. They are not required to be caged during the flight. United is also not permitted to charge an extra pet fee in this case.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It was on AS, but on a recently flight the passenger in 6A (bulkhead coach) had a small dog in a carrier on the floor (gate to gate). The FAs did not say anything. I was in 6C and the dog was well behaved, so it didn't bother me, but I did wonder whether FAA rules for empty foot space are pre-empted by service or emotional support dogs. I assume the airline could have reseated the passenger in another row.
If the dog had been in 6C and I was in 6A, I would have objected. That's worse than someone reclining his seat in front of me during takeoff. Now it's affecting my own safety.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by eng3
I don't know the equip, but I know some have the under seat storage in 3 parts even in first. Maybe he means under 1A/1B
Yes, dog #2 in the carrier went under 1A/1B in the center since leashed dog #1 was at 2A's feet. If I hadn't been so tired I would have escalated the issue - but as I stated, the purser was enchanted by the mutts and it would have been an uphill battle.

deek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.