Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Season - gift fight crew?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Avis First
Holiday Season - gift fight crew?

I was boarding my flight today and someone brought a box of chocolates for the flight crew. This made me feel a little guilty. Why? The holiday season you typically gift service industry people that have been with you throughout the year (doorman, shuttle/car driver, etc). Should you also gift a flight crew? I know I hardly have the same flight crew but I flew 180k UA miles this year. Which makes it my second home...almost It's seems like I should thank some crew for getting me from point A to B safe and happy most of the time. I did google search and did find topics about this. Some say yes some say no and others say edibles we need to throw out. What does UA think? The flight attendants that recieved the box of chocolates seems surprised and happy.

Any appropriate gift to give to a flight crew in appreciation for a year of travel?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Previous discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...assengers.html

I find that $5 Starbucks Gift Cards are a good way of spreading holiday cheer.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:41 pm

Fight crew?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:45 pm

Strikes me as a complete waste of time/money.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by warehouse341
Any appropriate gift to give to a flight crew in appreciation for a year of travel?
Always be polite. Always say 'please' and 'thank you'. Always smile.

it's 365 days of the year we should appreciate the work of others ... thinking about a few random days at the end of the year to me makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Wow - what a bunch of Scrooges so far! On long haul flights I typically bring a snack for the crew to share - for example in narita I always buy some Nagasaki sponge cake and give it to the crew. NH recently changed their policies and the crew refused my gift on my last flight - but UA crews always love them!

I think it's nice that at least once a year the season causes us to take step back and think of others - if even in only a small way. To me it's the right thing to do!

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Previous discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...assengers.html

I find that $5 Starbucks Gift Cards are a good way of spreading holiday cheer.
I give Starbucks gift card year round. It generates many times the return on investment when one is not in the upfront cabin.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 pm

I think it's rather odd to do this, a little too exuberant/ borderline strange. But that's just me. This discussion pops up every once in while and I see that some people like doing this. I won't ever do this. I always try to be very polite and friendly. If I find the service exceptional, I write to UA commending her/him. That's pretty much it.

I don't support this unnecessary "tipping" mindset everywhere. Some of you are doing it with the expectation of getting personal recognition/ extra service from them. You know that deep inside your heart.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
I give Starbucks gift card year round. It generates many times the return on investment when one is not in the upfront cabin.
I think we just identified your problem

Last edited by cfischer; Dec 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

These are people who have to deal with the cuts of SMI/J all year long. It's worth $8 to give them a bit of cheer.

Individually wrapped little candies go a long way and are easy for them to share.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
I always have this thought, but as I get in to the airport I always change my mind. I often think a pack of Timbits (As a Canadian YYZ United flyer) would be a great crew treat. However, seeing as I'm generally stuck on a 2 FA E145 as my first UA point of contact - it would be overkill. Bringing a 50 pack of Timbits through to EWR before HKH or NRT could be a more appropriate option. Again, I think it all goes to how it's perceived - and it is a bit weird no matter how you cut it.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: United Gold
I've been handing these out this holiday season:

The FAs seem to love them, and the crew that is bringing me back to HNL always ask where they can buy them
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I always fly on Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day, and I almost always give the FA $10 for a layover drink.

I'm always on an ERJ so its' only 1 FA. They are usually very grateful. And I DON'T expect something for it as a previous posted suggested, as I give it when deplaning.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by hairpeace
Strikes me as a complete waste of time/money.
I'm as frustrated as the next guy but.. these are still human beings.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Year round I say please and thank you and ask the FA/Crew how they are doing
And its not just once at the end of the flight, its every time they bring me something or take something away

As far as holiday gifts go... I think its just something nice to do so I do it

I've got a few flights on the day or 2 before x-mass
SYD->SFO crew is getting a big box of lindt chocolates and a box of cadbury favorites
SFO->DEN crew is getting pack of tim tams per FA/Crew
DEN->RDM Crew is getting a Pack of tim tams and a $5 starbucks card each (EX crew need the coffee)

Got flights back to Syd on the 28th, still working out what to do for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.