Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favourite Regional Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
EMB 120 seat 9B/C best leg room.... I love the old school way of flying and the size. For the regional jets, CRJ700 is the only one I have really flown enough to know well.

The worst by far is CRJ200....
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I'd go with the E170/175/190s. My only complaint with the big E-jets is that window alignment can get screwy (some rows basically have no window at typical pitch).

Then the CR9 as long as you are not aft of the exit rows - it gets loud in the back. Also avoid the awful row just before the exits - no window and no recline.
CR7s and E145s are tolerable. CR2s are not at all good over about 250 miles.

I did enjoy a few Avro flights back in the NWA day.

My favorite obscure RJ flights were r/t on DL's short-lived Fairchild-Dornier 328JET CVG-LYH. 2-1 seating, high wing like the Avros but only a twin engine. It was loud and slow (the wing was designed for a turboprop, so it flew high like a jet but only cruised at about 400 mph). Had hot towel service in coach!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Air Koryo, Motel 6, Rent-A-Wreck
I fly a lot of short haul trips out of YYC and more often than not it is on a Q400. It had gotten to the point that I actually kinda like this plane. Have to admit though a window seat in row 7 staring right at the prop can be a bit hard on the nerves.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Favorite RJ? Really?

My favorite RJ, huh? Sorry, but sounds like either a trick question with no answer or an oxymoron. But thanks for the excuse to give my noggin an little exercise as I shake it side to side.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It's not that I hate RJs, it's just that I think they should be intra-regional not inter-regional. DEN-CVG is not a regional flight. I'm fine with RJ flights like ORD-CVG/DAY and all the other Ohio valley destinations. Up to 500 miles and a 1.5 hours door-to-door, they are fine. 1000 miles and 2.5 hour FLIGHT time isn't what they were intended for, or really healthy for people.

The seats aren't the right size, if you are in the front you end up either crotch/butting people on the aisle to get to the back to use lav, the service on the 145 is almost non-existent. None of those are issues really on sub 60 minute flight times, but they become glaring issues on longer flights.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1k
"That being said, nothing beats the comfort of the single row on an Embraer."

Are you serious? The curve of the fuselage takes away about half of your room.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Up to 500 miles and a 1.5 hours door-to-door, they are fine. 1000 miles and 2.5 hour FLIGHT time isn't what they were intended for, or really healthy for people.
In addition, even the biggest RJ fails to meet the on-board storage needs of business travel passengers. Good luck getting anything aside from a tiny purse to fit in the lefthand overhead compartment on the E-175.

Overall, picking a favorite RJ is like picking a favorite root canal.

When I search for flights on ITA, I always include:
~UA3000-7000+
in the routing field to weed out the RJs. I wish the UA web site had a simple checkbox to do this.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
E-170/175 are my favorite single lane airliners these days, including Boeing and Airbus products. Have not been on a CS jet or MRJ yet.
The rest of my ranking would be something like:

717 (I think of it as a regional plane, since it is used in routes served by such)
Bae-146
CRJ 700/900
ATR72
ERJ 135/145
Dash 8
CRJ 100/200
Saab 340 and misc baby crafts.

I usually draw the line at CRJ700 these days.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CMH1k
"That being said, nothing beats the comfort of the single row on an Embraer."

Are you serious? The curve of the fuselage takes away about half of your room.
I'm 6'3" and not a small guy, and I really don't know what you're referring to. I love the A-side seats on the 145s. Try sitting next to a 450-lb person and see if THAT takes half your room away.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
This is going to sound stupid, but in 1A on the 145s, when I lean my head against the wall, it seems that a panel seam is right there and it rubs and is giving me a 'balder' spot. Not like the have a pillow, so I had a coat to keep me from going asymmetrically bald(er).

On the A seats, it isn't so much the hip width, its the footwell, especially on the 1A since you can't stretch your legs due to the wall.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It's a must!!! They are one mean machine. It is a true machine. An amazing aircraft that I truely miss.

ORD-MSN, SDG, ORF, MKE, etc they were awesome. And Aspen-DEN was a joy!!

NW had first class in theres.

Beware in Europe they are mostly 3 x 3, in the US they were 3 x 2. They had a special odor also.
Yeah, I've flown on one one with CityJet. Cramped and dirty. The only benefit was landing at LCY and going from plane through customs and immigration to DLR in 10 minutes.

I enjoyed flying in the A seats on the Saab 340.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by kale73
^

I'd fly 18A on an ERJ-135/145 RTW if I could.
^

i'm with you.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:37 pm

SF3>Q-200, mostly for the single A seat on the SF3s, though I don't envy those of you that have flown on UA's entire range of RJs
Granted I haven't flown the SF3s in years because my home airport upgauged from the SF3 to Q-200 a few years back
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just had a 2.5 hour flight in the CRJ200 last night
Within 5 min of being on the plane I was wishing for the 145

I would gladly have more flights on the 145 just to see the crj vanish from the network

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.