Search

Favourite Regional Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Favourite Regional Aircraft

Hey guys,

Not such a serious thread for once.

Just wondering what everyones favourite short-haul aircrafts are for United?

I recently flew what seems to be a new addition to the Embraer line, the 175. I really liked the seats and it had much more space in the aisles as well as in the overhead.

I usually had the CRJs and Embraers as they make me gatecheck my precious Rimowa, but this plane with no problems.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hamlol
Hey guys,

Not such a serious thread for once.

Just wondering what everyones favourite short-haul aircrafts are for United?

I recently flew what seems to be a new addition to the Embraer line, the 175. I really liked the seats and it had much more space in the aisles as well as in the overhead.

I usually had the CRJs and Embraers as they make me gatecheck my precious Rimowa, but this plane with no problems.
For coach/economy/Y the ERJ-145 as long as I can get the one-seat (A) side. If traveling alone I prefer that coach seat to any other in the fleet because there's zero chance of having a Sumo Wrestler sitting next to you. Once that happens to you, you'll see what I mean.

In First any RJ will do...

Last edited by Bonehead; Dec 18, 2014 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:15 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
E170 >> CR7 > ER4 >> Q400 > CR2.

Haven't flown the E175, but I presume I'd like it slightly better than the E170 because (a) it's newer, and (b) more F.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I love TG's 77W on SIN-BKK and SQ's A380 on SIN-HKG ...

UA's regional birds ... nah, not at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
BAE-146. Those things were awesome.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
For coach/economy/Y the ERJ-145 as long as I can get the one-seat (A) side. If traveling alone I prefer that coach seat to any other in the fleet because there's zero chance of having a Sumo Wrestler sitting next to you. Once that happens to you, you'll see what I mean.
^

I'd fly 18A on an ERJ-135/145 RTW if I could.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Favourite Regional Aircraft seems the very definition of an oxymoron.

To be honest, any regional aircraft on Delta. They all have first class and they all have wifi and they all have their equivalent of E+. They also all have snacks in coach and full beverage service. No matter how short the flight, I've yet to experience 'water' or even 'express' service on DL.

I was blown away recently to receive my silver status package from them. I hadn't realized I'd given them that much business this year away from UA but probably 90% of it was on regional aircraft so I guess I let my feet and my wallet do the walking on this topic.
DL still has plenty of CRJ (50 seaters), without EC (E+). There are also plenty of routes where they don't even do water service (GRR - DTW for example).

That said, the service in F on the DL RJ is world's better. Coach is nice too with the cookies, peanut, pretzel offer. I'm hoping the changes that should start next year will improve things on UAX. DL caters in real glass for F. I know that is very trivial, but I miss real glass. Probably because my only real changes of upgrade clearing is on UAX routes. Mainline upgrades are but a dream this low on the charts.

Added: My vote is the E170/175, without a doubt. Cabin size and windows along with seat width regardless of cabin make it a very nice ride. Just need to improve the offerings in F and I'll be happy to fly that on any route.

Last edited by jacobac00; Dec 18, 2014 at 7:15 am Reason: Added my "vote" for best.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
BAE-146. Those things were awesome.
Never got to ride in one, always wanted to. Still hoping I may get one on an intra-Europe flight one of these times.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The one I walk past on my way to my mainline flight.

I agree about the 1A seats on 145s, but if the flight is too long, I never can get my left foot to totally sit flat due to the curvature of the side wall.

2A seat on a 700 in F is OK.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by QBK
E170 >> CR7 > ER4 >> Q400 > CR2.

Haven't flown the E175, but I presume I'd like it slightly better than the E170 because (a) it's newer, and (b) more F.
Originally Posted by PushingTin
The one I walk past on my way to my mainline flight.
Pretty much exactly this. I use pretty much only Red Oxx Air Boss, which obviously is much easier to fit than a roller. But still manage to have issues with E145s. Luckily fits under the seat in front of me if I do end up having any issues.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The BAE146 were the best RJs. Of what's left the Embraers are best (175>170>145/135). I also happen to like the E120s but they're going away too.

Deltas CR9 and CR7 are ok. But not UAs.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:18 am

ERJ-175 all of the way. I'm pretty sure the last one I was in had a no electronics sign instead of no smoking. For as poor as Brazil's aviation safety used to be, I always feel safest in Embraers. Compare that to a CRJ I rode on US Airways last year that was so old you could just picture the people sitting there and smoking in it back in the day.

Honorable mention for the worst though is also an Embraer. EMB-120. I will never forget the night I flew from LAX-SAN with a screaming headache and fever right next to the propeller. On top of that a flight attendant who was just grabbing a flight talked my ear off the whole hour, screaming across the aisle over the propeller noise. I was flying to meet my friends at a bar so it only got worse after that!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
E175/170 without a doubt! Especially the 175 with 12 F seats. Once they have streaming content, wifi and hot meals in first they will be even better!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nsummy
For as poor as Brazil's aviation safety used to be, I always feel safest in Embraers.
I believe any problems in Brazilian aviation have most often occurred from infrastructure and human error. But now good. I have flown a lot within Brazil over several years, and I don't think I've ever been in an Embraer there, just Boeings (Gol, Azul) and Airbus (TAM). Have flown in Embraers in the U.S. and Australia.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Embraer E jets...duh!

Embraer makes the better regional jets all-around. Bombardier's jets are awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.