Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If I buy with miles, can I later book better seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if these questions are addressed elsewhere (couldn't find them searching).

1. If I book a United Economy ticket using Mileage Plus miles, can I use cash to move to Economy Plus (just as you can when you buy the economy ticket with cash)?

2. If I book a United Economy ticket using miles and then a Mileage Plus Saver seat in Business Class becomes available on that same flight, how easy is it to exchange the econ seat for the Business Class seat? Does the change fee apply in that case (same flight, just changing classes)? Can it be done online or would I have to call an agent?

I ask both in general (for domestic flights) and also in thinking about booking LAX to London this summer. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Yes, you can just pay the normal E+ fee.
2) You can make the change; it does require a fee which varies based on elite level and how close to the day of travel you make the change; the fee is $75-100 for someone without elite status.

You can also book it as a business class award but seated in the economy class cabin and waitlisted for the business class seat. That is only possible on UA-operated flights and requires calling in to create the booking.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Wow. I had no idea about that waitlist thing. That's great information. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.