Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Service to Havana Starts Nov 29, 2016 - from EWR (daily), IAH (weekly)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Service to Havana Starts November 29
Book your flight to Havana from New York/Newark and Houston today

CHICAGO, Sept. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The countdown to Cuba is officially underway at United Airlines after the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) awarded the company final approval to launch service to Havana from two of its hubs this fall. Beginning Nov. 29, United will start daily nonstop flights to the Cuban capital from New York/Newark and Saturday nonstop service from Houston with both services subject to government approval. Customers can begin booking flights to Havana via united.com today.
Since the DOT announced its preliminary Havana route awards in July, United has been working closely with the Cuban government to prepare for the start of its operation into José Martí International Airport.

"I'm incredibly proud of all the dedicated aviation professionals here at United who are working hard to get our historic Cuba service ready for takeoff in November," said Oscar Munoz, United's CEO. "The final approval by the DOT reaffirms that our flights will ensure better choice, convenience and competition for all travelers on this important route, and I want to thank the DOT for their decision."

United's services to Havana will mark the company's 13th new international route launched in 2016. Since March, United has started nonstop service between the U.S. and Auckland, New Zealand; Tel Aviv, Israel; Xi'an, China; Singapore; Hangzhou, China; Athens, Greece; Barcelona, Spain; Providenciales, Turks and Caicos; Nassau, Bahamas, and Lisbon, Portugal.
U.S. Department of Transportation awards United flights to Havana from its global gateways in New York/Newark and Houston
Airline expects to offer its first flights to Havana by fall 2016

CHICAGO, July 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- This fall, United Airlines customers will have a historic opportunity to board one of the first commercial flights to Havana, Cuba in more than a half century. On Thursday, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) tentatively awarded the airline nonstop flights to the Cuban capital from its global gateways in New York/Newark and Houston. By providing access from key, geographically diverse locations across the U.S., United's newly awarded routes will help ensure better choice, convenience and competition for travelers between the United States and Cuba.

"These flights open the door to a new world of travel and opportunities for our customers," said Oscar Munoz, United's president and CEO. "We are proud of the important and historic role our airline will play in connecting the U.S. and Cuba, as commercial air travel takes flight between these countries for the first time in more than 50 years."

United expects to begin its first flight to Cuba from New York/Newark and Houston later this year, which would make it one of the first U.S. airlines to provide commercial service to Havana – and the first airline to offer U.S.-Havana service from outside Florida.

Daily nonstop service from New York/Newark (EWR)
United's daily nonstop flight from Newark Liberty International Airport will provide unique value in serving the New York City/Newark region, the largest metropolitan area in the country and home to the second-largest population of Cuban Americans. For more than 20 years, United has offered the New York City/Newark region the most flights to the most destinations around the world.

"Today is an exciting day for people who want the opportunity and better options to visit Cuba," said Newark Mayor Ras J. Baraka. "Newark will benefit greatly from United's new competition in the U.S.-Cuba market, which will spur economic activity and job creation in our area. United service enables the nearly 80,000 Cuban Americans living in New Jersey – along with many more Americans throughout the largest metropolitan area in the country – new travel choices and business development opportunities. I thank Secretary Foxx and the DOT for recognizing the value of this route, and want to also thank United Airlines for supporting Newark as a gateway to Cuba."

Saturday nonstop service from Houston (IAH)
Recognized by "Trusted Traveler Network" as one of the most international-friendly points of entry for foreign travelers, Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport is United's gateway to Latin America. United offers 91 daily nonstop flights to 52 destinations across Latin America and the Caribbean from its Houston hub. Bush Intercontinental will be an important gateway for service to Havana and will directly connect 20 markets across the central and western United States to Cuba with just one stop. The Cuban-American population in the Houston metropolitan area ranks among the top ten cities in the country.

"Secretary Anthony Foxx and the U.S. Department of Transportation made an outstanding decision by approving United Airline's application for Saturday service between Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport and Havana's Jose Marti international Airport," said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. "Secretary Foxx and United both recognized the very significant economic and consumer benefits these flights to Cuba will bring to Houston-area residents, travelers, businesses and entrepreneurs. While there are nearly 20,000 Cuban Americans in Houston alone, United's service will also connect communities across the central and western U.S. Again, I would like to thank Secretary Foxx and United Airlines for making our great city one of the first new gateways to Cuba."
United Airlines Applies to Serve Cuba from Four Global Gateways
Flights from Newark/New York, Houston, Washington and Chicago to Havana will offer greater choice, convenience and competition for customers
UnitedtoCuba.com details benefits of airline's proposed service to customers and communities

CHICAGO, March 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today submitted its formal application to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for authority to provide service from four of its largest U.S. gateway cities – Newark/New York, Houston, Washington, D.C. and Chicago – to Havana's José Martí International Airport. If approved, United will be one of the first U.S. airlines to offer customers daily, nonstop scheduled service to Cuba.
"This is a historic moment for our company, our employees and, most importantly, our customers," said Oscar Munoz, United's president and chief executive officer. "We want to be the first choice for passengers traveling between the U.S. and Cuba. We're able to offer customers the best access, convenience and connections to and from Havana through our industry-leading global route network, and we're excited to compete for this important service."
United's proposal to DOT outlines its planned service to Havana from hubs serving four of the country's largest Cuban-American populations. The service would include a total of 11 roundtrip flights per week with daily service from Newark Liberty and one additional Saturday flight (eight weekly flights), along with a Saturday-only flight from Houston George Bush Intercontinental, Washington Dulles and Chicago O'Hare (three weekly flights). If United's application is approved, service to Havana on these routes will be operated with United Wi-Fi-equipped Boeing 737-800 two-cabin aircraft featuring 16 United First, 90 United Economy and 48 extra legroom United Economy Plus seats.
United Airlines plans flights to Cuba from U.S.

Jan 15 {2016} (Reuters) - United Airlines said on Thursday it planned to serve Cuba with flights from Houston and Newark, New Jersey, subject to government approvals.

"We plan to serve Cuba, subject to government approvals, and look forward to doing so from our global gateways of Newark and Houston," spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said in a statement.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,

Looks like US is normalizing relations with Cuba
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-released.html

"President Barack Obama will end the U.S. isolation of Cuba that has persisted for more than a half century, initiating talks to resume diplomatic relations, opening a U.S. embassy in Havana and loosening trade and travel restrictions on the nation.

The steps effectively end an embargo that has been one of the most durable elements of U.S. foreign policy. Travelers will be able to use credit cards in Cuba and Americans will be able to legally bring home up to $100 in previously illegal Cuban cigars treasured by aficionados."

I read that as Americans can soon to now go direct and vacation there (?)

Given UA has PA's original route authority to Cuba and used to run regular off-schedule 747 charters MIA-HAV during the Miami hub, how soon till we get some scheduled UA flights there?

Or is this something they cede / sell to AA or DL which seem to have better geo hubs to get to Cuba?

Anyone know if AA has a MIA-HAV authority from Braniff / Eastern given that's the basis of AA's LatAm network? They probably seem the more logical to reactivate unless UA had the only route authority.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I flew UA into Havana a few years ago. I believe UA is still running some Cuba flights.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I flew UA into Havana a few years ago. I believe UA is still running some Cuba flights.
Yes, as charters. As is AA, or was, most likely still does.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The assumption that all the old route authorities are still valid is an interesting one.

ETA: Also, the new approach still prohibits "normal" tourism. We're not going to see a flood of scheduled service into Cuba anytime soon, I don't think.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 17, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just read the USA today article. I do not read it as you will be able to go vacation there. You need to be a professional in certain categories and get a license to go. Or have family there. And only these licensed professionals can bring back up to $400 in goods of which a max of $100 can be cigars and alcohol combined. So basically a few cigars and a bottle of rum.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

U.S. seeks to normalize relations with Cuba; U.S. prisoner freed

http://usat.ly/1DOw3tc

To keep it on topic, I doubt there would be enough traffic to warrant scheduled UA service. So probably just UA charter.

Last edited by Baze; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:35 am Reason: Kept on topic with additional paragraph.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I'd be shocked if Congress lets this happen without a fight.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Baze
Just read the USA today article. I do not read it as you will be able to go vacation there. You need to be a professional in certain categories and get a license to go. Or have family there. And only these licensed professionals can bring back up to $400 in goods of which a max of $100 can be cigars and alcohol combined. So basically a few cigars and a bottle of rum.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

U.S. seeks to normalize relations with Cuba; U.S. prisoner freed

http://usat.ly/1DOw3tc

Thanks that is a good / better overall link. So looks like regular US tourism is going to be awhile.

Have had the opportunity to get to Angkor Wat, Laos and Myanmar all right after they re-opened (or at least in case of Mynamar, 'socially acceptable' to visit) and really want to add Cuba to list before it gets a modern facelift (which I assume will happen relatively quickly if relations truly normalize).

Still will be interesting to see the airlines jockey for position given expanded lists of reasons for visit and given the tourism infrastructure the Europeans, Canadians and most of the world except the US can take advantage of at this point.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I'm not sure why this would necessarily result in a modern facelift. It's only US travellers that have been prohibited AFAIK. It's not like Cuba has been cut off from the world. Europeans and Canadians have been vacationing there for many years.

http://vacations.aircanada.com/en/va...D2891DF5.cls01

http://vacations.aircanada.com/en/va...resort_listing
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I knew this thread was going to pop up.

Say, are there any decent lounges in HAV?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I knew this thread was going to pop up.

Say, are there any decent lounges in HAV?
Yes, Pan Am!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I'd be shocked if Congress lets this happen without a fight.
Significant parts of the embargo are codified in legislation and will be less likely to change in the near term.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska, Southwest, Delta, United
UA already has charter service out of MIA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TOPIC REMINDER

The OP was straightforward, (when/) will UA resume regular service to Cuba. Very appropriate question for this forum.

The geo-political issues of today's USA/Cuba announcement and USA foreign policy are not UA issues and will be deleted. Try OMNI for that discussion, such as
US and Cuba to restore Diplomatic relations
Obama to announce lifting of Cuba travel restrictions-DJ

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 am

If/when flights become possible on a regular basis, one option for UA would be to subcontract it to Silver Airways out of FLL.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
It will be interesting to see how DOT eventually deals with the route authorities, as mentioned by the OP. Assuming that the tourist restrictions are eventually lifted, I can't really see UA operating a scheduled commercial service flight out of MIA to HAV. Especially considering UA ceased it's South American flights from MIA, what, years ago? I suspect you'd see AA from MIA and perhaps, B6 from FLL.

While UA might miss the MIA feed, I would think, if they could change the route, IAD seems to be the most logical of UA hubs for a commercial service. IAH seems too far to the West. Can't recall if UA is still promoting it's 'Capital to Capital' services out of Dulles, but this would be another one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.