Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When did United Airlines provide their best value to customers and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:25 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:38 pm

I loved UAL in the 80's and 90's. On time, great service, FA's. Great.
Went all over the world free on Miles.

Hate it now.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:51 pm
RNE

United Airlines peaked in 2017. That is to say, it hasn't happened yet. But it will, if it continues to value high-value flyers over "cheap elites" like me.

RNE, Platinum for only $6k, but I really shouldn't be.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

In 2010-2011 they provided me 4x saver to Florida over Xmas, Hawaii over spring break, and Europe for summer. And the year prior, 4x SWU/mileage upgrade at booking to/from Asia.

Not expecting that ever again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2014 at 12:32 am Reason: removed trolling / off topic comments
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I am looking at some last minute holiday travel.

On every route there is at least one other option, sometimes 2 or more. Every time the UA flights have less inventory and higher prices. There are many routes where UA is selling the last few seats for $1000, and US/AA, B6, DL, AS, etc have 2/3 full planes and seats for $4-500.

So, UA is definitely doing something right. It may be good inventory management. Their planes are definitely more full to most vacation destinations and there are less *A options than SkyTeam or OneWorld.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:24 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Likewise, early 2000's for me. As PE, I got 500 mile upgrade certs which could be (but I never had to) rolled over into RDM. In other words, I effectively was upgraded 20% of the time (the fractional earning rate for the 500 mile certs)...much better than I've seen with UDU. And, the 100% RDM bonus. And lower redemption rates for premium award travel.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
For me, it was the early 1990s, when I was a teenager. I didn't know any better then, but we were traveling in 3-class F to places like Australia and Hawaii during Christmas/Spring Break/Summer Vacation for a fraction the miles it would take today.

This continued into the late 1990s when I started traveling for work...Upgrades always cleared as a 1P, and more often than not, agents wouldn't even collect the paper 500-mile upgrades.

And it was still good up until 2010 or so until 500-mile upgrades ended. I went something like 2 1/2 years without missing an upgrade...Maybe missed a short ORD-PHL in there or something, but didn't matter, ORD-SFO, LAX, LAS, IAD, MCO...I ALWAYS cleared with a great strategy of using CR-1s and 500-milers. At the end of the year, I somehow still had upgrades left, even after upgrading companions on many of my trips.

I really miss the 500-miler system.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
It was great until shortly before the {merger}, when they introduced UDUs and tightened up on the routing rules. Before that a 1K would almost always clear with the instrument upgrades at their disposal. And you could get 5 segments each way on almost any transcon itinerary, including travel to spoke cities and north-south segs offering a 500-mile minimum for each. International itins offered even more segments - I remember doing 7 each way between SJC and LHR about 10 years ago.

After the {merger}, 1K upgrade percentages from SFO went out the window when virtually any Y or B fare was automatically upgraded, including inexpensive government-procured YCA fares.

Oh, there were nice unexpected bennies like notes from the captain and gifted bottles of wine from the FAs. I found the international C recliners to be perfectly adequate for sleeping - I really don't need flat beds and there are now less C seats available.

Sure, crews were surly sometimes, but they're still not consistent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:07 am Reason: trolling comments modified
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"When did United Airlines provide their best value to customers and why?"

I think it was March or April of this year. Why? Because I was buying sub-$1500 all-in BF tickets to Europe from Hawaii. I really didn't care that I would have gotten better meals or service on Delta or American for $3000 more.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:52 am

Things were pretty good at the bottom of the last couple of recessions. I miss recessions.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

Best value was when ticket prices were half what they are now, i.e., in the mid-2000s when the load factors were way below 100%. Ten years ago, a TATL wasn't a good deal unless it was less than $500.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Ten years ago, a TATL wasn't a good deal unless it was less than $500.
Summer of 2009 (I know, five years ago) saw upgradable ORD-Europe fares in the $600s all summer. Those were sweet. Combined with double EQM all year it was hard not to make 1K. Then there were the SIN runs of the 2001-03 era.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
For me, definitely around 2009. Post-introduction of UDU, pre-introduction of tightened routing rules. 1P for Pennies on the Dollar. :]
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:24 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.