Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: United - 1K, Southwest - Companion & AList Preferred, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
TexasVC, thanks for this detailed how-to! Do you have any idea what the EZR system is? I can't recall seeing it referenced before, so I'm curious if it is something new.
EZR is the legacy CO's implementation of the SHARES reservation system. Good FT thread on United's initial botched implementation here.

United's several false starts in modernizing their internal systems is well beyond the scope of this thread. Let's just say that their latest attempts didn't really work which is why the ancient EZR system has to be used sometimes to makeup for its limitations.

Originally Posted by susiesan
TexasVC: Did you try using awardnexus? I do have an account here, I do not have one with expert flyer.
I have not tried awardnexus. My guess is that it is similar to expert flyer, and is just a fancy online way of querying Amadeus. If that is the case, then you should be getting the same results.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:25 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by TexasVC
I have not tried awardnexus. My guess is that it is similar to expert flyer, and is just a fancy online way of querying Amadeus. If that is the case, then you should be getting the same results.
AN just scrapes the airline sites directly, no GDS access.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pete4212
AN just scrapes the airline sites directly, no GDS access.
I was playing around on ANA site to see ET awards now for one of the city pairs I will be looking for in a few months, JRO-YYZ. I see a TK award flight from JRO-IST-YYZ but when I cross reference on UA site that flight is not there. Does ANA come up with phantom availability often?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: United - 1K, Southwest - Companion & AList Preferred, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
I was playing around on ANA site to see ET awards now for one of the city pairs I will be looking for in a few months, JRO-YYZ. I see a TK award flight from JRO-IST-YYZ but when I cross reference on UA site that flight is not there. Does ANA come up with phantom availability often?
In my experience the ANA site has been solid, but I generally use Expert Flyer for ET availability.

The UA site has been great for me for TK availability, although I've noticed a good chunk of flights only appear after I log into my UA account and carry the disclaimer that the inventory is only appearing because of my Chase Credit card and/or status. A best practice is only to query the UA site AFTER logging in.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:14 am

Thumbs down UA not fixing glitch

Originally Posted by B747-437B
This has happened before multiple times and has always resolved. Usually in a few days, but it has taken almost 3 months once to get fixed.
It is now almost 3 months since award availability on UA for ET flights disappeared. Lookalike this will not be fixed and is a permanent change. it is far more tedious and difficult now to search for award flights using UA miles on ET.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

I was able to successfully book SFO-LAX-ADD-CPT over the phone. The agent had a lot of trouble with their systems and had to start over a few times and force some things through, but after about 45 minutes I had a ticketed reservation.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It is now almost 3 months since award availability on UA for ET flights disappeared. Lookalike this will not be fixed and is a permanent change. it is far more tedious and difficult now to search for award flights using UA miles on ET.
it sucks.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

I have found the easiest way to search for availability of award seats on ET flights is on ANA. I don't know if it is real availability or phantom. I have not called UA yet to try to book since my travel dates won come up for booking until October.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by TexasVC
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when inventory is added
This is very true! I was constantly searching on ExpertFlyer and things would just come and go. Seriously would see awards come and go by the minute--I'd cross reference this with searching on ANA. It was completely baffling!

While I ended up booking the award with ANA--decided to pay the $$$ surcharges in exchange for 104k R/T in J from NA to Africa (rather than 160k with United), assume the same would have been bookable on the phone with United. Pleased to have scored four seats on the ADD-EWR route--could have done that round trip actually but decided to use Turkish on the outbound.

If you're looking for just two seats, definitely saw some more consistent availability.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
still cant book online. UA sucks
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Ethiopian Airlines Award Space

Hi Everyone,

Are MileagePlus accounts no longer able to book award tickets on Ethiopian Airlines? I was trying to book my parents direct to DUB from LAX. ANA award site shows multiple availability for round-trip to Dublin next May but United sites show nothing. Tried looking at different dates and couldn't find anything, business or economy.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:28 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Have to call in to book them.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Ericka
Have to call in to book them.
Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Tinder Plus
Originally Posted by pbd456
There is zero ET award space showing on UA.com?
glitch? or something new?
I can't find anything from ET on UA website
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: star alliance ethiopian united
How do I use Ethiopian shebamiles?

I accumulated 105000 shebamiles by Ethiopian but have found it impossible to redeem for anything. Anyone have any luck with this? I was able to use like 60000 united miles in 2012 to go Djibouti to Addis to iAd to sfo and back sfo iAd add djibouti

ive called Ethiopian and the guy always talks to me for like an hour. I talk about a united flight I want with the flight numbers. He never seems to have a seat I can use.

Anyonr have any luck with them? I should have just accrued points into united star alliances

once in 2014 when I tried to use to get me a cheap flight to Tanzania jro from Dulles it was like 80000 miles from Dulles to Addis then $600 from add to jro round trip, when I was able to book philadelphia to iAd to Addis to jro for $999 flat round trip

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.