Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:47 am
guw

Z is not upgradable with GPUs anyway?
Correct. It can only be upgraded with Miles & More miles. Still have some.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:02 am

GPU possible on AI codeshare (op by LH)

Hi there,

I would like to use a GPU for an upcoming LH flight. But it is a codeshare flight with AI (Air India) flight number?

Is there a chance to use a GPU? If yes, how do I proceed?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm 99% sure the answer is no. Only for LH or UA coded flights. And if UA coded you have to call so they convert it to the LH code.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by guw
OK so I found someone trying to do it - and as I predicted - it's not possible because of the Z fare. I would have to buy up to at least a D fare in order to change it to an LH flight number.
Another poster had a similar problem in this thread. It's not the Z class per se, but the lack of availability. Meaning they likely can't move you to the LH flight number because Z is 0 now. Don't have enough knowledge on how they're actually exchanging the coupons to know if that's how it should work or not.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Sketho
Hi there,

I would like to use a GPU for an upcoming LH flight. But it is a codeshare flight with AI (Air India) flight number?

Thanks!
It needs to be LH/LH to apply the GPU. Whoever issues the ticket can change it, but if it wasn't United you'll probably have a hard time explaining why.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Sketho
Unfortunately there is no chance. In the good old days of paper SWUs you could upgrade such kind of bookings, but no more.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MMF, QF Gold
Angry

{from the thread's wiki}

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence and document of the original paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.
This problem has only manifested last year when Lufthansa changed their website, I had no problems up until then. The united customer service can be frustrating as each time a different CSR answers the emails and each one has different understanding of the problem. The length of time to resolve can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

P.S. I had one upgrade come through at the gate well inside the 10 hours cut off. (I have been upgrading D to O)

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Another poster had a similar problem in this thread. It's not the Z class per se, but the lack of availability. Meaning they likely can't move you to the LH flight number because Z is 0 now. Don't have enough knowledge on how they're actually exchanging the coupons to know if that's how it should work or not.
GPU's are not valid for Z class, you have to buy D to upgrade to first. I had the same issue, now I buy D class, I can't remember the last time it didn't come through

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:46 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; repaired quote due to incorrect attribution
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Disappearing reservation after LH GPU - can I get it back?

There was a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it - sorry, mods!

I have a RT booked through UA (016 ticket stock), with the outbound on LH metal and the return on UA metal. I used the online system to apply a GPU to the LH leg first (that was a mistake), and it actually cleared (hooray!).

...which of course causes the itinerary to vanish from UA.com. I can see it fine on LH.com and could even assign myself seats on the LH flight.

I called and had an agent apply a GPU to the return leg, since I can't call up the reservation on UA.com anymore. In case it doesn't clear, I'd like to be able to play with my seat assignments to maybe snag a seat with an empty middle next to me... how do I go about doing that now? Would I have to call in every time, or is there some sneaky trick to make the reservation accessible via the UA app or on UA.com?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by itsMoe
There was a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it - sorry, mods!

I have a RT booked through UA (016 ticket stock), with the outbound on LH metal and the return on UA metal. I used the online system to apply a GPU to the LH leg first (that was a mistake), and it actually cleared (hooray!).

...which of course causes the itinerary to vanish from UA.com. I can see it fine on LH.com and could even assign myself seats on the LH flight.

I called and had an agent apply a GPU to the return leg, since I can't call up the reservation on UA.com anymore. In case it doesn't clear, I'd like to be able to play with my seat assignments to maybe snag a seat with an empty middle next to me... how do I go about doing that now? Would I have to call in every time, or is there some sneaky trick to make the reservation accessible via the UA app or on UA.com?

Thanks!
no, that is not right. The entire itinerary should NOT vanish from united.com just because a LH segment cleared. The LH segment might vanish ... that's normal ... and it usually comes back showing 'O' or 'I'. I have had it once that a reservation completely disappeared and UA needed to fix that ... not sure what happened but something went wrong. What happens when you enter the United PNR and last name? Can you still call up the ticket? Check saudia and see if the ticket is o.k. and all segments show confirmed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Hugo OZ
GPU's are not valid for Z class, you have to buy D to upgrade to first. I had the same issue, now I buy D class, I can't remember the last time it didn't come through
Correct - but if you look back, the OP was trying to upgrade with M&M, not a GPU.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cfischer
no, that is not right. The entire itinerary should NOT vanish from united.com just because a LH segment cleared. The LH segment might vanish ... that's normal ... and it usually comes back showing 'O' or 'I'. I have had it once that a reservation completely disappeared and UA needed to fix that ... not sure what happened but something went wrong. What happens when you enter the United PNR and last name? Can you still call up the ticket? Check saudia and see if the ticket is o.k. and all segments show confirmed.
So it sort of shows up, in that under "my trips" I'm now seeing LAX-LAX, which is weird. But clicking on the itinerary results in an error message.

United agents can pull it up, and I can pull it up fine on Lufthansa.com with the LH PNR.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by itsMoe
So it sort of shows up, in that under "my trips" I'm now seeing LAX-LAX, which is weird. But clicking on the itinerary results in an error message.

United agents can pull it up, and I can pull it up fine on Lufthansa.com with the LH PNR.
If you are worried you can ask a UA agent to "fix" it (see if it helps). But if it shows up fine on the LH site, you should been good to fly the LH segments, and if UA agents see it normally, the UA segments should be in tact too.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: United Global Services & Two Million Miler; Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Problem Processing GPU on Lufthansa

I have been trying to process a GPU for a Lufthansa-operated flight on the United website for three days. I keep getting an Error Code 118 - technical problem. I have reported it twice to the United web support department and have asked that it be escalated.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the problem?

FYI - it is an LH ticket, it is an eligible fare class, there is space available, using both Internet Explorer and Chrome browsers, and I have cleared the cache.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
I used two GPUs on LH flights and still on the waiting list. Now i want to use these two GPUs on other flight. How to cancel the upgrade and redeposit back to my account. I called united but they said i need to call LH but LH said still need to call United. Any one has similar experience?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am startled to report that absolutely everything worked correctly.

I applied a GPU to my LH flight online, and it was applied correctly. When it cleared, my reservation went first to (I class confirmed) to a segment in I class. UA sent me an email to tell me my upgrade was confirmed. I got the UA segment revalidated just to be on the safe side (things looked ok, but I had the red banner text and it was out of order). Just now, every segment posted correctly, including the upgraded segment (posted as E, not ZE, but whatever).

Not only that, but checking in on ua.com gave me working boarding passes for both LH segments, and auto-assigned me a decent seat on my Europe hop

Based on this thread I was so prepared to fight for something, but hey sometimes it just works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.