Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does LH clear the upgrade list until all seats are full like UA does or do they leave people un-upgraded even when there are free seats available? I'm looking to upgrade 2 flights on the A380 in a week and a half and both have about 30 seats left in biz. I'm on the waitlist for both now.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH usually will upgrade you if there is space available. Seats not 'taken' on a seatmap is an uncertain indicator if space is available.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:06 pm

Can confirm based on recent experience (about 10 days ago) LH does seem to fill up all available seats with those standing by for upgrades. My GPU cleared at the gate (economy to biz), as did several other passengers who were issued new BP's at the gate. I asked one of them how he upgraded, he said be bought Premium Economy and used M&M miles to upgrade.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
The GPU has a EMD number starting with 016 associated to it which is referenced in the reservation. I doubt you will get away with it.
I saw a really good P fare come up for an additional $1,600 there and back (SFO-FRA-XXX) so I decided to take them up on it vs. the risk of this falling through
Old May 11, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dc89
Apologies if wrong thread but I can't find where else to ask - I booked JFK-FRA on LH this morning and upgraded with a GPU, which cleared at booking (upper deck on the A380!!!!! I am inordinately excited). How can I select a seat? I opened my booking on LH's website but didn't see an option to select a seat. Do I need to call, or should I just wait a few days?
Sometimes I've had it take a day or so to be able to edit it. I just called into LH and had them assign a seat.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
After much sturm und drang with my GPU-upgraded booking on Lufthansa, I made it to Frankfurt (and onward to Vienna). Weirdest part of the whole thing: my GPU got redeposited into my account before the flight took off, but it didn't affect my booking (only my life expectancy as I nearly had a heart attack that the whole thing got cancelled). I know I'm going to have to push to get the PQM/D/S credited, so wonder whether I'll lose it then, but fingers crossed that I get a freebie
Old May 12, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by dc89
After much sturm und drang with my GPU-upgraded booking on Lufthansa, I made it to Frankfurt (and onward to Vienna). Weirdest part of the whole thing: my GPU got redeposited into my account before the flight took off, but it didn't affect my booking (only my life expectancy as I nearly had a heart attack that the whole thing got cancelled). I know I'm going to have to push to get the PQM/D/S credited, so wonder whether I'll lose it then, but fingers crossed that I get a freebie
You got a legit freebie. GPU now have to be confirmed 24 hours before departure and there is no stand-by anymore. That's gone. Your upgrade did not clear and the GPU got redeposited and LH for operational reasons had to upgrade you (for free).
Old May 19, 2017, 6:43 am
guw

At what time should the redeposit of a GPU happen when my ticket is not upgraded?

I'm on upgrade waitlist for a flight today. It's now T-9 and LH.com still shows waitlist. The cabin capacity was like this:

at T-60: J9 C9 D9, seatmap showed 17 free and 2 blocked C seats (the ones with bassinets),
at T-40: still J9 C9 D9, now only 1 free and 12 blocked C seats
at T-20: down to J6 C6 D6
at T-10: down to J1 C1 D1, KVS says seat map not available/closed

Thanks!

Update: The upgrade did not clear at the gate.

Last edited by guw; May 20, 2017 at 4:15 am
Old May 19, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It goes back after the flight closes.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:19 am
guw

It goes back after the flight closes.
Do you know when the flight is supposed to close? The flight arrived at its final destination but the GPU has not redeposited yet. Do I need to call United or just be patient and hope for the best?
Old May 20, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guw
Do you know when the flight is supposed to close? The flight arrived at its final destination but the GPU has not redeposited yet. Do I need to call United or just be patient and hope for the best?
Give it 48 hours. Too bad it did not clear. So far I have 100% success on LH.

Last edited by cfischer; May 20, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reason: typo
Old May 20, 2017, 7:24 am
guw

Originally Posted by cfischer
Give it 48 hours. Too bad it did not clear. Do far I have 100% success on LH.
Well, it was Friday on SFO-FRA. That's on of LH's most busy routes. I guess there were many LH status customers and/or Y/B/M/G tickets that probably rank higher. Although, my ticket was an E fare (PE).
Old May 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold
I am planning to book a flight DEN-FRA-CPT (early nov) and return JNB-FRA-DEN (mid-nov). Any booking advice if I was hoping to use GPUs for economy to business upgrade on LH? If everything clears, would two GPUs cover the whole trip?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1cericks
I am planning to book a flight DEN-FRA-CPT (early nov) and return JNB-FRA-DEN (mid-nov). Any booking advice if I was hoping to use GPUs for economy to business upgrade on LH? If everything clears, would two GPUs cover the whole trip?
You'd need four GPUs to cover the whole thing: one for each LH segment. Check and see if there's I inventory on those segments before you book, as that means you'll likely automatically clear once you apply the GPUs.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
One more question... looks to me like booking a ticket through United is about twice the price of booking straight on LH. Searching for DEN-CPT round trip, seems like just over $1,100 for the whole ticket on LH and just over $1000 each way on United. Is that pretty normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.