Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA grant higher status if short PQMs but over PQDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread, [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

As this is the first year of PQDs, there is no history / precedent / data on if being over the PQD threshold by xx% will make up for being short one of the other status requirements such as PQMs. This is unknown territory and any thoughts or comments are speculation.

Additionally FF programs are evolving and what might been true on status forgiveness in the past will be dangerous to presume that it will apply again.

Has UA granted status outside of the nominal program -- Yes
-- There have been reports of "one time exceptions for exceptional reasons"
-- UA will grant status to some individuals as part of special programs or contractual agreements.
-- UA has granted status occasionally for some just short of the requirements - see the wiki of [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015 for some links.

But note the use of "exceptional", "special", "occasional" -- in general the outcome has been "you get what you earn." Expect to get what you earned and you will likely not be disappointed -- but a few, for reasons we will never know, might get surprised.
Print Wikipost

Will UA grant higher status if short PQMs but over PQDs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dasams
I know the old UA would have done it
Maybe, maybe not.

Does your new job have a contract with UA? If so then going through the contact there is the best bet. If not then a well placed letter to corporate might work but it is a long shot.

Also, you didn't actually earn it so why should you get it? It might not be your "fault" that you didn't fly 100k this year because you lost your job but you could have taken another trip somewhere to get more miles, right?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
you need the documentation to support that change
I didn't provide any documentation when I changed my address from the USA to Israel...

And I'm definitely listed as living in Israel (my Premier Status site shows that I'm exempt from PQDs)

at 30-40-50 cpm and typically 5K PQM min, it can get pricey at this time of the year for that solution
I've seen 2,000 mile options at around a few hundred dollars, which, even if expensive, would still be cheaper than a *potential* $500 buy-up
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I didn't provide any documentation when I changed my address from the USA to Israel...
it has changed recently http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-changes.html

Originally Posted by joshwex90
.... I've seen 2,000 mile options at around a few hundred dollars, which, even if expensive, would still be cheaper than a *potential* $500 buy-up
For many short of a threshold the prices are much higher -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderate Note

Have temporarily locked the wiki for moderator review.

Wiki's should be consensus summaries. While the use of quoted posts is fine, a quoted post can not be edited by another to change its context (per FT rules) -- so if there is disagreement, there is a dilemma created. Will review this with the other UA moderators.

WineCountryUa
UA coModerator

Have reopened the wiki and replaced the previous contents.

When using quotes in wikis, it is probably best to avoid opinions, non-consensus content. Since the meaning / intent of a quote should not be modified by other member, quotes in wikis present a special issue. In the future if this situation should arise again, this is best reported to the Moderators for resolution.

So the wiki is reopened for community editing.

WineCountryUa
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm Reason: update, reopening wiki
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dasams
For the first time in my 29 year career, I lost my job last Nov and didn't fly again until Apr when I took a temp job commuting between SFO - LAX. Needless to say, my accrued mileage was well below the 1K threshold. In Oct, I accepted a new position that requires frequent travel and I expect to earn 1K again in 2015.

For 2014, I'll end at about 85K PQM so no 1K for me. For background, I have 2.3 million lifetime miles and this is my 21st year in a row as a 1K. That's right, I've never missed a single year qualifying for 1K since my move to San Fran in '93. Also, I have spent >$20k on tickets this year including one round trip in business class from SFO to the ME (it was a $7k ticket).

So here's where I need advice: Who should I contact to ask for the upgrade from Plat to 1K for 2015? Also, is anyone aware of UA making this type of exception? I know the old UA would have done it but I'm not sure in today's environment.

TIA, Dave
Yes, the old UA would have done it. They did it for me once. Call the 1K desk, explain, ask. They may give you a "challenge".
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You are in luck, because you can always just use the mileage accelerator option on existing itineraries or book a new one do the accelerator and cancel.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k
So you're 15k EQMs short? If you've met the spending requirement already, then you can use premier accellerator. Just book a long flight, then go into the itinerary, buy the accellerator miles, then cancel the itinerary for a full refund. All within 24 hours. It'll likely cost between $1500 and $2500 since you're talking about a lot of miles.

However, if you also have more spending to do, then you have to mileage run as premier accelerator does not count towards spend. You might be able to find an itinerary for $1500, or even less (an itinerary to southern Asia should do it). Is it worth it? It is the only way to make 1k for sure since you don't have much time left. You can try to ask UA for an exeption, but I have not heard of them doing this recently (one of my friends, who has flown close to two million miles, was denied this last year). They may also give you an offer to buy up to 1k status, but it'll likely cost a lot more than the above, since you're 15k miles short.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by augias84
So you're 15k EQMs short? If you've met the spending requirement already, then you can use premier accellerator. Just book a long flight, then go into the itinerary, buy the accellerator miles, then cancel the itinerary for a full refund. All within 24 hours. It'll likely cost between $1500 and $2500 since you're talking about a lot of miles.

However, if you also have more spending to do, then you have to mileage run as premier accelerator does not count towards spend. You might be able to find an itinerary for $1500, or even less (an itinerary to southern Asia should do it). Is it worth it? It is the only way to make 1k for sure since you don't have much time left. You can try to ask UA for an exeption, but I have not heard of them doing this recently (one of my friends, who has flown close to two million miles, was denied this last year). They may also give you an offer to buy up to 1k status, but it'll likely cost a lot more than the above, since you're 15k miles short.
15K miles this time of year? I would guess much higher than you propose. But only way to find out is for the OP to try.

OP, you need to buy RDM's to get the offer to buy PQM's.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by augias84
It's December - you won't get those rates any more. My Premier Accelerator offer for a flight tomorrow is 16k RDM/PQM for $5136 or 24k for $7704.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the upside of 1K - 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs, higher priority on the upgrade list. Anything else? Would it be worth OP's money to get those (and only OP can answer this)?

I would definitely write an e-mail and ask UA. It seems to me that the case can be made better via e-mail than on the phone. It is the Holidays, UA is doing well so maybe they will do something.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Wonder if Prem Accelerator pts trigger the 6 GPUs, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether "the old" UA would have bumped someone up who was 15K short is not even close to relevant. Especially because the entire concept has changed and is being tightened again next year.

OP's options:

1. Check with new employer to determine whether it has a contract with UA and whether that contract provides for employer-designated GS/1K and, if so, whether OP can be assigned one of those.

2. Use award accelerator. Going to cost somewhere around $7,500 this late in the year.

3. Send a short note to UA. Extremely low chance of success because it's hard for UA to justify giving OP a freebie when it can sell the same thing for $7,500. Short note means 3-4 sentences max. I would do this by webform as the snail mail version simply gets scanned into the CRM system anyway. Low %, but it costs nothing to try.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
It's December - you won't get those rates any more. My Premier Accelerator offer for a flight tomorrow is 16k RDM/PQM for $5136 or 24k for $7704.
Interesting - I got one for 15K RDM/PDM for $2415, for what that is worth.
6 GPUs and 2 RPUs might be worth that much, but that is up to OP. Also, it does not hurt to call and ask; my preference would be to call - at least the answer would come quicker.

Another option: even this late, a 15K mileage run can be had for under $1500. (I am not a MR expert, but a friend needed 10K miles and found EWR-SIN itinerary for $1200.)

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
It does.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
It does.

But if I were the OP, and within ~7 years of Lifetime 1K, I'd fly, and find a flight quickly. 15K PQM is a lot to waive.

http://goo.gl/flights/gBpP

This flight will give 14,000 PQM. Do this and a quick SFO-LAX-SFO, and you're done.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by username
I guess the upside of 1K - 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs, higher priority on the upgrade list. Anything else? Would it be worth OP's money to get those (and only OP can answer this)?
Since I fly out of SFO, the GPUs and RPUs aren't worth a whole lot as I have 5 GPUs and 2 RPUs that expire on Jan 31. Tried many times to use them but they never did clear.

Originally Posted by username
I would definitely write an e-mail and ask UA.
I'm going to write a letter and was hoping someone would hook me up with an email to a UA contact that can help. Always felt better with a personal email rather than just sending in to the general email.

I have no plans to spend a lot of money buying 1K so i don't get comped, I'll fly as a Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.