Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat

Apologies if I missed this in another thread somewhere -- couldn't find one searching, and I've been bouncing all over Asia for the last few weeks, so I haven't been reading FT consistently!

Had a UA TPAC flight returning home yesterday, and was hanging in the galley chatting with the FAs for part of the trip. The FAs indicated they'd just heard that they would no longer be charging for alcohol back in the economy cabin starting January 1.

They weren't clear on whether this was just beer/wine or all alcohol. But indicated that this up-sell had not been a success on the TPAC routes, and that the FAs had been pushing for this too, as they were embarrassed to be nickel-and-diming upset Asian travelers on a 13-hour flight for a can of beer.

Given that we're already well into December, I'd expect some kind of official announcement soon (if I didn't already miss it)!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Woo hoo! (Take that enthusiasm for real only if they extend this to TATL flights as well )
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
that's the strategy .... when they get you drunk enough on that 747, the WiFi almost seems usable
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Yes, free beer/wine is returning in 2015.

Last edited by nerdbirdsjc; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Huzzah for long distance Y flyers! Nothing like crawling back from product downgrade mistakes and re-joining the competition.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
i dont believe it includes liquor. I believe it is wine/beer only.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I stand corrected about admitting a mistake and re-joining the competition
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You got mighty excited there! But remember it would not be "savvy" to admit a mistake, better to try to only give part of it back, justify the original decision.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
You got mighty excited there! But remember it would not be "savvy" to admit a mistake, better to try to only give part of it back, justify the original decision.
I could give a crap either way as if I'm flying UA long-haul, it's going to be in J (preferably award/upgrade and not paid!) I just think it's continually embarrassing that they're so chintzy in small areas.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What do you mean? DL had free drinks in E+ on all int'l flights (including Mexico/Canada/Caribbean), and now they've announced free drinks in E+ systemwide (including domestic).

UA is still a step behind, as they always are.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by channa
What do you mean? DL had free drinks in E+ on all int'l flights (including Mexico/Canada/Caribbean), and now they've announced free drinks in E+ systemwide (including domestic).

UA is still a step behind, as they always are.
DL can afford to because their E+ cabin is painfully tiny. It'll cost UA 3x for the same benefit assuming the same % of alcoholics.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
actually I appreciated the alcohol charge on the TPAC (syd to sfo/lax)
the lack of boozy noisy partying pax was a distinct advantage.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
It's a small but welcome change (75% of the way back to what we had before, but I guess a step in the right direction).

I was lucky and was in J for all but one TPAC segment this year, but I've found in general that half the time, the FAs I've had in Y, even domestically, discreetly refuse payment for booze--and often even refuse to take my drink chits. The other half of the time, they are almost over-the-top apologetic about asking for payment (until I say "not to worry!" and give them my drink chit, and they are visibly relieved).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
Apologies if I missed this in another thread somewhere -- couldn't find one searching, and I've been bouncing all over Asia for the last few weeks, so I haven't been reading FT consistently!

Had a UA TPAC flight returning home yesterday, and was hanging in the galley chatting with the FAs for part of the trip. The FAs indicated they'd just heard that they would no longer be charging for alcohol back in the economy cabin starting January 1.

They weren't clear on whether this was just beer/wine or all alcohol. But indicated that this up-sell had not been a success on the TPAC routes, and that the FAs had been pushing for this too, as they were embarrassed to be nickel-and-diming upset Asian travelers on a 13-hour flight for a can of beer.

Given that we're already well into December, I'd expect some kind of official announcement soon (if I didn't already miss it)!
Gee, more booze in the cabin where people complain about service. What could go wrong there?

Originally Posted by grapegrower
actually I appreciated the alcohol charge on the TPAC (syd to sfo/lax)
the lack of boozy noisy partying pax was a distinct advantage.
I believe that eventually airlines are going to be forced to stop all alcohol service on a plane. Kind of like some baseball parks are banning it. One too many fights. And one too many lawsuits by someone injured by a drunk.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Good news - free wine and beer.

Bad news - it's Thunderbird and Milwaukee's Best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.