Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by drewguy

BTW, I have not been so lucky to have FAs overlook the need for a drink coupon - every order they hand me the beverage with one hand and pull up the CC machine with the other -- even as I pause, looking hopeful they won't.
+1 here.
My only unsuccesfull upgrade with a GPU this year. SFO HKG. For the 3 of us in E+, I used up all my 20 drink chits, buying for a pax next to us too.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keller281
+1 here.
My only unsuccesfull upgrade with a GPU this year. SFO HKG. For the 3 of us in E+, I used up all my 20 drink chits, buying for a pax next to us too.
Thanks for the reminder - I plan on handing 25 of these out on my PS flight next weekend...merry Xmas
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The strategy is that along with free beer, toilets are now 5 USd per minute. This does count towards PeeDumpQ though.

LS, throwing down the weekly gauntlet to RNE.....
I'm going to go pedantic here .... it's PQD not PDQ

but those "wines" in Y are so horrible I can barely see it as a benefit. I have a stack of those drink chits that 1K mailed to me and I'm letting them sit at my desk since drinking that wine would make me throw up in the cabin.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'd like to know this as well, although i think the chances are slim to none. i'm guessing free booze will only apply to TPAC flights originating or terminating from the mainland which don't involve include Hawaii and GUM.
Maybe this time they will surprise us and add TATL flight as well!! I haven't heard a justification for the double standard between TPAC and TATL.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
Maybe this time they will surprise us and add TATL flight as well!! I haven't heard a justification for the double standard between TPAC and TATL.
At one point it was "competition" - most TPAC competitors offered it, most TATL didn't. Of course, that's still true, but they ditched TPAC alcohol.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA-S
I can see the progression now:

2015: "We are introducing a variety of complementary wine and beer on our trans-Pacific flights for those in Economy and Economy Plus..."
2016: "We are expanding our premium wine and beer offerings on our trans-Pacific flights for those in Economy and Economy Plus. We will still offer a small complementary selection consisting of Keystone Light and boxed Franzia"

Originally Posted by catocony
Good news - free wine and beer.

Bad news - it's Thunderbird and Milwaukee's Best
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks for the reminder - I plan on handing 25 of these out on my PS flight next weekend...merry Xmas
Someone's about to get 25 new friends, and 89 glares!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Someone's about to get 25 new friends, and 89 glares!
My m.o. in the past has been to walk to the back, and walk forward from there handing out...more subtle that way, and I feel better about giving them to the folks stuck in E-!

(won't make any friends among the FAs though! )
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
At one point it was "competition" - most TPAC competitors offered it, most TATL didn't. Of course, that's still true, but they ditched TPAC alcohol.
Only the TPAC competition offering it is true. It's not true that TATL competition don't offer it
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by catocony
Good news - free wine and beer.

Bad news - it's Thunderbird and Milwaukee's Best
Ahh... I miss the beast... cant get it in SYD to save my life....
I have no problems drowning a 6pack on a SYD TPAC

I've got one flight left this year that's not in J/F because its on the CRJ....(RDM->DEN... save me)
Its on December 28th
I have 25 chits and I'm going to see if I can get my fellow travel mates to help me drink the plane dry even if I have to fork out a little extra $$$ ontop....

Speaking of liquer....
Duty Free at SYD is now selling 200ml bottles of not bad stuff for $10
I have seen quite a few people on the EX SYD flights on UA partaking in one of these bottles as most are better then anything UA offers on the flight
(against all faa/UA policies etc as well...)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by rmorenc
I can see the progression now:

2015: "We are introducing a variety of complementary wine and beer on our trans-Pacific flights for those in Economy and Economy Plus..."
2016: "We are expanding our premium wine and beer offerings on our trans-Pacific flights for those in Economy and Economy Plus. We will still offer a small complementary selection consisting of Keystone Light and boxed Franzia"
Just like the United Club. For the record, on my last visit, the Vodka on offer was Popov. That's what we used to buy for $12 for 1.75 Liters back in my fraternity days. There's even an urban dictionary entry:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=popov
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I've got one flight left this year that's not in J/F because its on the CRJ....(RDM->DEN... save me)
Its on December 28th
I have 25 chits and I'm going to see if I can get my fellow travel mates to help me drink the plane dry even if I have to fork out a little extra $$$ ontop....
Why not use them in January? They don't expire till then.

That's when I'm using mine. I don't fly in December unless I have to - not a lot of happy fliers for some reason (packed planes, forced visits, high pricing).

I do hate that I can't use it in p.s. Y on the better wines. Those are excellent bottles.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm Reason: fixed bb code
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Both TPAC and TATL, UA is the lone holdout (US does not serve either, but this will change when US changes name to AA). It is high time they do this, even if it is just a single brand of beer and red/white wine.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why not use them in January? They don't expire till then.

That's when I'm using mine. I don't fly in December unless I have to - not a lot of happy fliers for some reason (packed planes, forced visits, high pricing).

I do hate that I can't use it in p.s. Y on the better wines. Those are excellent bottles.
Doing 47k BIS this month (DEC) and 0 in JAN

Thus need to use them up now

I'm on another 2 SYD->SFO/LAX TPAC's in the next week, I'll ask the crews on both flights if they know anything
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:30 pm

Fantastic news if true. No more needing to load up in the lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.