Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've got a family member booked to travel with me on a domestic flight. It looks like a work conflict will prevent him from going. The change fee is more than the ticket cost. Is there any reason to cancel the reservation? And should I just assign him the middle seat, check him in, and hope the seat stays free for some extra elbow room? In the meantime, I guess I could "hope" for a flight irregularity (which, of course, would be bad for me!) and then try to get him a refund.

That seems to be the problem with the now huge change fees. I don't see what the incentive is to cancel and enable the airline to resell the seat.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've got a family member booked to travel with me on a domestic flight. It looks like a work conflict will prevent him from going. The change fee is more than the ticket cost. Is there any reason to cancel the reservation? And should I just assign him the middle seat, check him in, and hope the seat stays free for some extra elbow room? In the meantime, I guess I could "hope" for a flight irregularity (which, of course, would be bad for me!) and then try to get him a refund.

That seems to be the problem with the now huge change fees. I don't see what the incentive is to cancel and enable the airline to resell the seat.
If the change fee is indeed more than the ticket cost, I would 100% check him into the middle seat. And then explain to the GA that you bought 2 seats JUST for the extra room. Or for comedic purpose, find someone 'larger' than yourself and ask if they too were forced to buy an extra seat

However the cheap guy that I really am, would root for the change and refund.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Chris Elliot the Consumer advocate posted on facebook looking for what people think about doing it out of prinicpal. It really doesnt matter what you do. Considering overbooking is so common they have probably already sold the same seat twice.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't see what the incentive is to cancel and enable the airline to resell the seat.
UA is already assuming a certain number of no-shows and selling seats accordingly.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Don't cancel - if there were significant mx or wx delays, it's possible to get a full refund for a "trip in vain." Nothing to lose if that doesn't occur since the change fees are more than the value of the ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Don't cancel - if there were significant mx or wx delays, it's possible to get a full refund for a "trip in vain." Nothing to lose if that doesn't occur since the change fees are more than the value of the ticket.
This is why I always wait until last minute.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA doesn't really care whether you cancel or not, but a fellow traveler might. At T-15, when your friend hasn't showed up, his seat goes to a standby. Exactly why UA and other carriers overbook.

But, it's a nice turn to a fellow traveler to cancel a couple of hours earlier. Someone who really doesn't have the time to standby may well appreciate an open seat and being able to SDC positive space.

As others note, if there's a significant change or a cancellation, your friend will be able to cancel for a full refund.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Are you at least Gold and you booked the ticket on the same PNR? If so, you may be able to same day change his ticket for free after splitting off from yours. If you do this enough times, you may get lucky and have that ticket hit a wx and be entitled to a full refund.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wildbill412007
... And then explain to the GA that you bought 2 seats JUST for the extra room. Or for comedic purpose, find someone 'larger' than yourself and ask if they too were forced to buy an extra seat ...
no go on either -- the is a specific protocol and ticket naming ( search "EXTRASEAT") for the situations you are referring to.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jadenus
Are you at least Gold and you booked the ticket on the same PNR? If so, you may be able to same day change his ticket for free after splitting off from yours. If you do this enough times, you may get lucky and have that ticket hit a wx and be entitled to a full refund.
Wow -- that's a pretty sophisticated strategy. So keep an eye on bad weather and try to same-day-change the ticket to the flight most likely to hit a weather delay and, perhaps, a misconnect?

Might be worth it on a really bad weather day, but otherwise it's probably a lot of effort for a longshot chance.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Wow -- that's a pretty sophisticated strategy. So keep an eye on bad weather and try to same-day-change the ticket to the flight most likely to hit a weather delay and, perhaps, a misconnect?

Might be worth it on a really bad weather day, but otherwise it's probably a lot of effort for a longshot chance.
Well, a SDC has to have the same O/D, so it's not like you'll be searching for different flights. If the system recognizes your status (or his if he has any) after the res is split, you won't even have to talk to a rep to do it day after day. Of course, that might be placing a little too much reliance on the UA system.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:28 pm

Cancelling a ticket instead of doing nothing when not taking a flight

I've a one-way ticket (in booking class K) that cost $100 that I don't plan to take. Is there any benefit to calling United to cancel the ticket instead of doing nothing and simply not taking the flight?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not really. But look out for delays or waivers - where you can cancel and get a refund. Hence, wait to cancel until the very end.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Canceling also opens up seats for others to use if the flight is full. UA doesn't automatically cancel your reservation until shortly before departure which limits the use of your seat by others to those who are standing by.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
Not really. But look out for delays or waivers - where you can cancel and get a refund. Hence, wait to cancel until the very end.
But realistically this has the order of magnitude of 100:1 odds of work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.