Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald
This brings back memories of when flight changes were a mere $50 several short years ago.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
An oversale is going to require showing up to the airport, milling about for a while, and only then having a shot at getting a voucher (while being put on a later flight that may be of no interest to the OP)...
Untrue - at that point, one can get the VDB and ask for a refund of the original flight - and not have to fly.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
This would be an interesting category to add to CC. @:-)

Imagine that. But I think that would be just crazy. And the incentive for the OP who is on the flight to "fudge some facts" too high in many cases.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jadenus
Are you at least Gold and you booked the ticket on the same PNR? If so, you may be able to same day change his ticket for free after splitting off from yours. If you do this enough times, you may get lucky and have that ticket hit a wx and be entitled to a full refund.
Even if you have no status, changes within 24 hours are $75 max. You can chose one of the crazy priced flight (e.g. $1728).
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by j8s8er
It's a SFO-SEA flight, no bad weather/delays/waivers expected, and plenty of seats available so it's not like I'm denying someone else a spot.
If UA is hell bent on screwing the OP with a $200 change fee on a ticket that costs less than $200, then the least the OP could do is screw UA by attempting to deprive them of the ability to resell that seat.

What I'd do is call UA, and tell them that I will be willing to cancel the ticket, if they reduce or waive the change fee. If not, then screw them. Just as UA would tell any of us that our decisions (not being able to make a flight) have consequences ($200 change fees), so too do UA's decisions (implementing $200 change fees -> getting screwed when customers don't cancel their seats).
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
It's good manners to cancel and indeed it helps out both United and the potential purchaser of one's seat.

lol... and I care about United because?

I have a $140 ticket for January, I had a 30 minute schedule change, that created a 50 minute connection in EWR. UA would not cancel it, I didnt even want a refund, I wanted to reroute the ticket.

I say screw them, I will keep the ticket active, who knows, maybe there will be a snow waiver or something.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by STS-134
If UA is hell bent on screwing the OP with a $200 change fee on a ticket that costs less than $200, then the least the OP could do is screw UA by attempting to deprive them of the ability to resell that seat.

What I'd do is call UA, and tell them that I will be willing to cancel the ticket, if they reduce or waive the change fee. If not, then screw them. Just as UA would tell any of us that our decisions (not being able to make a flight) have consequences ($200 change fees), so too do UA's decisions (implementing $200 change fees -> getting screwed when customers don't cancel their seats).
What a lovely attitude. Thanks for sharing.

As mentioned above, I just walked away from a sub-$200 ticket. I don't feel cheated at all. I knew the rules going in. I could have bought a Y/B fare (or a ticket on WN) for substantially more money if I'd wanted to be sure it was refundable.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:25 am
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. OP isn't getting sc**wed by UA. He purchased a dirt cheap ticket which was restricted. We don't have his flight details, but I am certain that there are higher priced tickets which do have flexibility. OP made a choice made by many and on this occasion his gamble didn't pay off. It's not as though refundability conditions are somehow hidden.

2. OTOH, the notion that OP, by not cancelling, is somehow getting back at UA shows a lack of understanding of revenue & inventory management. UA overbooks flights based on sophisticated software which does a good job of predicting no shows. Not on one particular flight, but on a global basis. Bluntly, if OP doesn't show, the seat has either already been filled or will be filled with a SB. And, chances are, it's a pax paying a whole lot more than OP did, so UA may actually be quite pleased for OP to have paid $100 and never showed up. Pure profit. Juvenile to get wound up the other way.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
2. OTOH, the notion that OP, by not cancelling, is somehow getting back at UA shows a lack of understanding of revenue & inventory management. UA overbooks flights based on sophisticated software which does a good job of predicting no shows. Not on one particular flight, but on a global basis. Bluntly, if OP doesn't show, the seat has either already been filled or will be filled with a SB. And, chances are, it's a pax paying a whole lot more than OP did, so UA may actually be quite pleased for OP to have paid $100 and never showed up. Pure profit. Juvenile to get wound up the other way.
Well, what happens if the OP cancels, and UA releases an extra seat? Maybe someone books that seat, and one SB has to wait until the flight he actually booked (and UA gets not only the OP's revenue, but someone else's revenue on the same seat). But if the OP doesn't cancel, maybe the person who would have booked the seat instead takes a competitor airline because he sees that no seats are available on UA and needs to be somewhere at a particular time. Would UA ever be able to figure this out? Probably not. Maybe UA isn't hurt by the OP not cancelling, but maybe they are. But by cancelling the ticket, that can only help UA, or be revenue neutral. It can't hurt. And in this case, the OP should just call and ask for a change fee waiver, and if he/she doesn't get it, then at least try to screw UA out of revenue if at all possible.

A better idea? Have the other person actually show up for the flight, with no intention of taking it, and volunteer his/her seat if there's a call for volunteers to give up seats. You know, because UA overbooks. This would at least deprive UA of $300 of future revenue.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, it wouldn't. UA won't VDB to acommodate a SB (unless it's some kind of a huge, huge mess & a real HVC). And, there's no guarantee that it's OP's VDB which they accept if he does schlep to an airport and hang around a gate.

Maybe the easier and cleaner version are the new DL E fares and those used by many European carriers, where the tickets are truly non-changeable. You fly exactly as booked or they have $0 value. No fees or penalties, but no credits or refunds.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I have left these tickets alone when booking new tickets because about 25% of the time a flight that I thought I wasn't going to be able to take because a job was running quickly and I wanted to get home earlier than the 24hr change rule would apply - I did in fact end up taking!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As others note, if there's a significant change or a cancellation, your friend will be able to cancel for a full refund.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But realistically this has the order of magnitude of 100:1 odds of work.
Well, in this case my family member DID get his money back because the first flight was so late that we would have missed the connection. I re-routed (bad for me!), and he asked for a refund (which was received).

Of course, he benefited from the fact that I was still taking the flight and could call and say "hey, call UA for a refund, there's a misconnect." In most cases, the pax travelling by themselves with have to be paying attention to the flight status.

Still, I think it's worth doing if you're not going to get any money back. The odds are at least 5% that it will work, at least on a connecting flight. I wonder if the airlines would be wise to give a $50 credit per ticket for cancelling in advance. It seems like it could be a win-win for pax and airline because, right now, it's better not to cancel if there's no residual value.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:24 pm

No, it wouldn't. UA won't VDB to acommodate a SB (unless it's some kind of a huge, huge mess & a real HVC). And, there's no guarantee that it's OP's VDB which they accept if he does schlep to an airport and hang around a gate.

Maybe the easier and cleaner version are the new DL E fares and those used by many European carriers, where the tickets are truly non-changeable. You fly exactly as booked or they have $0 value. No fees or penalties, but no credits or refunds.
Yes, but if UA actually confirmed too many people, then the OP would get a VDB voucher. That's the definition of "overbooking" isn't it?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
What a lovely attitude.
Indeed.

I continue to maintain that treating others like you wish to be treated is simply the right and classy thing to do.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol... and I care about United because?
Well, I care about United because, for better and occasionally worse, it is the airline I've chosen to fly almost all of my flights on. I want them to do well. Even more importantly, on a number of occasions a UA staffer has gone out of his or her way to be helpful, to go above and beyond what was required, to help out my family when we have been in binds. That sort of treatment ought to deserve reciprocation from me.

I have a $140 ticket for January, I had a 30 minute schedule change, that created a 50 minute connection in EWR. UA would not cancel it, I didnt even want a refund, I wanted to reroute the ticket.

I say screw them, I will keep the ticket active, who knows, maybe there will be a snow waiver or something.
And this situation is nothing like the op's, and your hoping for a waiver is playing by UA's rules. If there comes a point where you KNOW you won't use the ticket, I hope you'll cancel it. It's the courteous thing to do.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:51 pm

Indeed.

I continue to maintain that treating others like you wish to be treated is simply the right and classy thing to do.
Well, I would want my change fees waived and 100% of the funds held for future use, if UA can resell the ticket. I would also want the change fee to closely match the actual cost to UA of having to change the flights. They can even mark it up 100% from that actual cost and it still probably wouldn't even come close to $100, much less $200. If UA didn't fulfill what I want them to do, why should I do what UA wants?

Classy? How about reducing the change fees to something REASONABLE, and not sticking it to your customers just because you can. And if you do do this, don't be surprised when your customers stick it to you.

Well, I care about United because, for better and occasionally worse, it is the airline I've chosen to fly almost all of my flights on. I want them to do well. Even more importantly, on a number of occasions a UA staffer has gone out of his or her way to be helpful, to go above and beyond what was required, to help out my family when we have been in binds. That sort of treatment ought to deserve reciprocation from me.
If you want UA to do well, and you believe no shows on < $200 tickets are hurting UA, may I suggest calling and/or writing to them, and encouraging them to adopt more reasonable change fees for tickets cheaper than $200? Something like 50% of the value of the ticket, up to a max of $200, would provide actual motivation for people to actually cancel unused tickets. UA's current behavior shows a misunderstanding about how game theory works.

And actually, it would be far more sensible to possibly have change fees range from say, $5, 6 months before departure, to $200 the day before (with a max of 50% of the ticket's value). Why? Because this provides motivation for people who know they're not going to be able to use a ticket to cancel it EARLY, instead of hoping for IRROPS or WX.

Last edited by STS-134; Oct 27, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.