Wiki Posts
Search

UA Domestic First Class experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

UA Domestic First Class experiences

Hi,

I've tried looking at the UA website and I don't know why but I find it really hard to follow!

I have two United flights booked for next year in First - LGA > DEN Thursday Early AM & LAS > DEN Saturday Early Afternoon

So far I am clear on the fact there's a 'bigger, more comfortable seat' and we get 2x 32kg checked bags but that's all.

Am I right in thinking there would be a meal (breakfast?) on the New York to Denver flight due to the length but only snack on the Vegas to Denver flight? Any idea what sort of food and snacks are typical on these routes?

What about any kind of lounge or priority boarding etc at either La Guardia or McCarran?

Only ever flow US Domestic once before and never in First (although I know not to expect much).

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: United Silver
Domestic F is really nothing special.

You do not get lounge access as it is domestic.

You should get priority boarding - group 1 I believe.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:21 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stealthferret
Hi,

I've tried looking at the UA website and I don't know why but I find it really hard to follow!

I have two United flights booked for next year in First - LGA > DEN Thursday Early AM & LAS > DEN Saturday Early Afternoon

So far I am clear on the fact there's a 'bigger, more comfortable seat' and we get 2x 32kg checked bags but that's all.

Am I right in thinking there would be a meal (breakfast?) on the New York to Denver flight due to the length but only snack on the Vegas to Denver flight? Any idea what sort of food and snacks are typical on these routes?

What about any kind of lounge or priority boarding etc at either La Guardia or McCarran?

Only ever flow US Domestic once before and never in First (although I know not to expect much).

Thanks
1. Set LOW expectations, and you won't be too disappointed.

2. No lounge access for domestic F class. United does not operate domestic F lounges (no US carrier does--it's not the norm here).

3. The food options are improving, but you're still better off grabbing something at the airport. Breakfast indeed on the LGA-DEN flight. Probably a choice between a plated egg concoction or cereal/yogurt. You may not get a choice depending on the number of high elites on the flight and your seat location. My guess is NOTHING on the DEN-LAS flight--beverage service, and MAYBE a snack basket, but that's doubtful.

4. As a F passenger, you can check in at the First/1K/GS counter. (A joke at LAS...They still MAKE you use a kiosk if checking bags). Not sure, personally about LGA as it's been a few years for me there.

5. You will board with Group 1 (which is usually quite large as it encompasses all F passengers, all 1Ks, Platinums and those that connected from other F-class flights, even if in coach on that segment).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Slightly more comfortable seat in 2+2 layout on narrowbody aircraft. Probably a breakfast on LGA-DEN (but it may not be very nice -- disgusting food is a major complaint about United F at present -- and you may end up with only cold cereal anyway). Probably just a snack basket passed on DEN-LAS.

You'll board the aircraft first in both cases but there'll be no lounge access. The United gate area at LGA is among the worst of any airline anywhere in the US, and there is no edible food beyond security.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
uhh, cereal or a jeff mc-muffin (you can find them in the freezer aisle as a jimmy dean sausage egg thing) or egg 'omelette'.

don't expect much other than a nicer seat, if you want something reasonable to eat, please eat beforehand.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by entropy
jeff mc-muffin (you can find them in the freezer aisle as a jimmy dean sausage egg thing)
I beg to differ, those Jimmy Dean sandwiches are actually much better compared to the hockey puke sausage and stale muffin which make digestion nearly impossible with the Jeff Mcmuffin
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Agree the breakfast offerings are universally the worst of the lot. Some of the lunch/dinner options are getting a little better... had a steak salad a couple days ago that was passable for reasonable food.

Lets be honest though, you get a decent seat and all the Tito's you can swallow in 3 hours.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Blimey - how bad is economy then?!

I wasn't expecting anything special and it looks like I won't be disappointed...

All I am really bothered about is not being cramped in the back and I've reserved 1A/1B on both flights for my wife-to-be and I so no one to recline in our faces. (Short legs so legroom never an issue!)

I think we will get a McDonalds breakfast on the way and if there's anything edible on board it's a bonus.

Thanks for the multiple, speedy responses!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's awful.

There is no McDonald's at the United terminal at LaGuardia. Best alternative is a Dunkin Donuts. I would recommend DD coffee and cold, waxy, fattening donuts as a comparatively appetizing alternative considering what awaits you on board the United flight.

Also, fasting is good for the soul.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
A whole lot worse. Economy is going to be literally painful for that long of a flight unless you're under 5'6". Also OK if you don't have legs.

American passengers voted with their wallets a long time ago that they were willing to accept virtually any kind of discomfort (as long as it didn't draw blood) in exchange for cheaper tickets. So that's what UA and all the other airlines give you in Economy.

Domestic First is nothing great at all. But at least it's not painful.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The most edible take-away food that I've obtained at LGA came from Au Bon Pain, which is before security in the Central Terminal.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
1. Set LOW expectations, and you won't be too disappointed.

2. No lounge access for domestic F class. United does not operate domestic F lounges (no US carrier does--it's not the norm here).

3. The food options are improving, but you're still better off grabbing something at the airport. Breakfast indeed on the LGA-DEN flight. Probably a choice between a plated egg concoction or cereal/yogurt. You may not get a choice depending on the number of high elites on the flight and your seat location. My guess is NOTHING on the DEN-LAS flight--beverage service, and MAYBE a snack basket, but that's doubtful.

4. As a F passenger, you can check in at the First/1K/GS counter. (A joke at LAS...They still MAKE you use a kiosk if checking bags). Not sure, personally about LGA as it's been a few years for me there.

5. You will board with Group 1 (which is usually quite large as it encompasses all F passengers, all 1Ks, Platinums and those that connected from other F-class flights, even if in coach on that segment).
On #5, UA has gotten better(?) about differentiating group numbers on different legs. When I was Gold (earlier this month) had an F/group 1 on the first leg and the second leg was group 2 as I was in economy and that is all Gold entitles you to if not in F.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)

I wasn't expecting anything special and it looks like I won't be disappointed...

All I am really bothered about is not being cramped in the back and I've reserved 1A/1B on both flights for my wife-to-be and I so no one to recline in our faces. (Short legs so legroom never an issue!)

I think we will get a McDonalds breakfast on the way and if there's anything edible on board it's a bonus.

Thanks for the multiple, speedy responses!
Yes, economy is not great, but Economy Plus (extra cost) is ok, as you have reasonable legroom. Of course it's a bummer if you sit next to an overweight person in the centre seat!

US first class on most flights is simply a wider seat and about the same legroom as economy-plus - ie it will be fine for you. I personally don't like row 1 because you don't have another seat under which to stretch your legs out. Also in row one, you have to put all your stuff in the overhead for takeoff and landing.

The breakfast is basic cereal, yogurt and usually some kind of egg thing - again my personal feeling is that I'd rather eat this than an Egg McMuffin. (at least the cereal, croissant and yogurt part) Don't eat the "sausage" patty thing if served (but then if you value your health you shouldn't eat sausage anyway/anywhere haha!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Hmm...allow me to offer a different perspective. Yes, it is easy to become jaded with domestic F when you fly it regularly, but really I don't think it's nearly as brutal as many folks here are portraying. Yes--manage your expectations. If you're expecting a caviar-garnished lobster omelette and a lie-flat seat, then yes, you will be sorely disappointed. However, here is exactly what to expect, no more, no less:

Priority security and baggage

Group 1 boarding (same as 1Ks and Platinums--in reality, it's the second overall group, just after GS and military)

50% chance of a pre-departure beverage depending on crew and passenger flow.

50% chance of the flight attendant hanging your coat

Large leather seat in 2x2 configuration

Breakfast on the LGW-DEN segment as described above

Complimentary alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) beverages, if you are so inclined

Obviously, you are up front, so you are among the first off the plane (for me this is quite possibly the #1 perk of domestic F).

I've really only been flying F for a few years, so I have no frame of reference to the glory days, when you'd have chateaubriand and fine champagne on a 3-hour mid-con, but from my perspective, it is a serviceable product that is far more pleasant than the back of the bus. Just my .02.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Domestic F gets you a comfortable seat in a 2-2 configuration rather than Y which is 3-3. It is far better than CE for BA, where all they do is block the middle seat. The service itself is not particularly useful, but you can bring onboard what you want.

Services in the US are unbundled. Thus, no lounge included, but you can pay for a pass and in Y, no food included at all. E+ is extra legroom, not any different seat or service (so not like some form of premium economy, e.g. WT+).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.