Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to the list of United's cancelled flights for 26 November:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Link to travel waiver for this event:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...72-2045-1-1156

American and Delta Airlines are carriers that also have waivers in place.

AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp

US: http://www.usairways.com/TravelCente...dvisories.aspx

DL: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html

AS: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by nigos
It also depends upon where the equipment comes from. For example, if you are traveling mid-day BOS to SFO, the inbound equipment comes from IAD which is forecast to experience 3-5 inches of snow- enough to shutdown operations.
This was my theory. I'm on an afternoon BOS-IAH, and kept it because its inbound is from IAH, while earlier options had inbounds from EWR. Will see how the theory plays out tomorrow.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
the website doesn't seem to waive the fee?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:14 pm

Here is area the radar forecasts for tomorrow which should be very useful for storm timing: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...rm-timing.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 pm

Snow amounts here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...130pm-cst.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
Here is area the radar forecasts for tomorrow which should be very useful for storm timing: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...rm-timing.html
Ah. Thank you sir. I think I might be okay with that 7:45AM and get a bit more sleep.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by tyroner
Success! Rerouted on EI ORD-DUB. No EWR for me!
be prepared to request ORC, since EI does not earn PQM and in some cases RDM.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=438
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by zig2
the website doesn't seem to waive the fee?
It did for me.

I had to change two and I changed to a different destination in February. One was originally paid for with money and I had to pay a small difference in fare. I did this online with no problem. Oddly, the resulting ticket is now refundable. It original ticket wasn't. No idea of why or why it was allowed.

The other was paid for with a $350 cert such that the face value of the ticket was zero. The web site wouldn't process the transaction. I ended up canceling the reservation and banking the "ticket," the only value of which is the $10 security fee, which they would not refund. I then booked a new ticket online.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:54 pm

Super excited to likely fail in getting home for Thanksgiving (final destination ITH via EWR tomorrow) on my way back from CTG after already having a four day vacation here cut to three after a diverted flight due to weather in BOG kept me in PTY for a full day/night on my way in... Ugh. If I didn't already have the best possible itinerary booked, I'd try to mess around with getting into a Y or B fare class on a different schedule, and possibly switching back, but it would just be way too much of a pain to try to manage at this point given I can't change it online due to the first flight (CTG-PTY) being a CM flight...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meehgz
Super excited to likely fail in getting home for Thanksgiving (final destination ITH via EWR tomorrow) on my way back from CTG after already having a four day vacation here cut to three after a diverted flight due to weather in BOG kept me in PTY for a full day/night on my way in... Ugh. If I didn't already have the best possible itinerary booked, I'd try to mess around with getting into a Y or B fare class on a different schedule, and possibly switching back, but it would just be way too much of a pain to try to manage at this point given I can't change it online due to the first flight (CTG-PTY) being a CM flight...
Id proactively have a rental car plan for EWR or any other airport that you can to toute to.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My filght from SNA tomorrow originates in EWR at 6:00 am passes through ORD around 10:00 am. should I be concerned that it will make it on time to SNA? Happy Thhanksgiving and safe travels..
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IRROPS don't necessarily put you into Y or B anymore. Since the merger UA has been much more proactive about not automatically making your fare a full Y during IRROPS.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Id proactively have a rental car plan for EWR or any other airport that you can to toute to.

I'd suggest trying to get to ELM as that flight goes through ORD instead of EWR, and renting a car there to drive to ITH. Driving from EWR north may be a problem as some of the worst part of the snow is on the drive from EWR to ITH.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
IRROPS don't necessarily put you into Y or B anymore. Since the merger UA has been much more proactive about not automatically making your fare a full Y during IRROPS.
Ever since the merger all my IRROPS posted PQM/PQS as the original fare class, even when my updated reservation would show Y.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'd suggest trying to get to ELM as that flight goes through ORD instead of EWR, and renting a car there to drive to ITH. Driving from EWR north may be a problem as some of the worst part of the snow is on the drive from EWR to ITH.
Oh, how I don't miss those drives on I-81 to Ithaca (normally from SYR).

Some of the most frightening moments in my life have been driving at night in white-outs on those long dark segments with no exits to safely pull off the road without getting tooled by a semi.

Greg
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
EDI to EWR scheduled this morning, set to arrive around noon. I just got a message (prior to EDI departure) that the flight is going to be diverted to Bangor, ME for a fuel stop. This is a new one for me. Is this an early sign that I may be spending the holiday in ME? i.e. is UA going to ensure that it gets the plane back across the pond but knows it's unlikely that we'll be able to get to EWR? Or is it a legit fuel stop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.