Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to the list of United's cancelled flights for 26 November:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Link to travel waiver for this event:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...72-2045-1-1156

American and Delta Airlines are carriers that also have waivers in place.

AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp

US: http://www.usairways.com/TravelCente...dvisories.aspx

DL: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html

AS: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx
Print Wikipost

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jed012788
Figured the same. I'm not even going to check in until I get to the airport because I don't trust United's IT system won't just split my reservation on its own if I attempt to check in online.

(Assuming I make it to the airport at all tomorrow. It's going to be an adventure.)
Actually, you are far more likely to experience an unwanted split or some other screw-up if you do it anywhere in the vicinity of an agent.

My advice: Wait until after T-3, and then do OLCI on the website, not the app. Make sure to respond properly at the split screen.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Glad I am done flying UA (revenue tickets) for 2015.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:12 am

I am doing updates on travel weather here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.com

The next major update will be around 1:30pm CST.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was on PHL-ORD leaving around 6pm. Snow is forcasted to be only an inch or so but PHL can't seem to even handle rain very well so I moved my flight up to 9am. Had to give up a CPU, but its a short flight
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Just had something unusual but great happen...

Was scheduled to fly BOS-IAH-SFO on UA1644 and UA1178 tonight (11/25) in V class. Checked my reservation after checking in and found that I randomly had been rebooked on UA1668 BOS-SFO in F!

I double checked the status of my original flights and their inbound flights and no delays had been posted. Should I consider this a glitch or proactive rebooking on UA's part?

Nonetheless, pretty cool

UATulip
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Is it possible to get ORC if you take advantage of the waiver ? I'm doing PHL-IAD-SFO-YEG tomorrow, and PHL-ORD-YEG tonight sounds much more appealing
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:33 pm

Here is the latest winter storm update. It includes airport info. http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...130pm-cst.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UATulip
Just had something unusual but great happen...

Was scheduled to fly BOS-IAH-SFO on UA1644 and UA1178 tonight (11/25) in V class. Checked my reservation after checking in and found that I randomly had been rebooked on UA1668 BOS-SFO in F!

I double checked the status of my original flights and their inbound flights and no delays had been posted. Should I consider this a glitch or proactive rebooking on UA's part?

Nonetheless, pretty cool

UATulip
Wow that is cool. Maybe the flight is in the process of being cancelled?

There was one time where I checked the app and my flight was good, then 5min later I checked again and it said cancelled. I started to attempt to look for flights and went back at my reservation to check something and saw I was already rebooked with confirmed seats. (not in F, though I got CPUed). All this was in the span of 10min.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Actually, you are far more likely to experience an unwanted split or some other screw-up if you do it anywhere in the vicinity of an agent.

My advice: Wait until after T-3, and then do OLCI on the website, not the app. Make sure to respond properly at the split screen.
Can't trust the IT, can't trust the agents. There's really no way to win.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jed012788
Can't trust the IT, can't trust the agents. There's really no way to win.
On this particular issue, I trust the IT now, if done through OLCI.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:45 pm

So what is the general consensus to get out of the northeast? Get out of the North East before the afternoon and before that should be fine?

Right now on a 7:45 AM out of LGA (up from a 5:15, to a 3:38, to finally the 7:45 AM). I could try to make it onto a 6:30 out of EWR...but 7:45 AM has to be early enough to get out, right?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
...but 7:45 AM has to be early enough to get out, right?
Hope so. I got my SO's daughter out of there this evening because she was on an RJ out of EWR at 10:30 tomorrow morning. If you're on an RJ I'd be more concerned than if you're mainline, based on my past experiences.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
So what is the general consensus to get out of the northeast? Get out of the North East before the afternoon and before that should be fine?

Right now on a 7:45 AM out of LGA (up from a 5:15, to a 3:38, to finally the 7:45 AM). I could try to make it onto a 6:30 out of EWR...but 7:45 AM has to be early enough to get out, right?
It also depends upon where the equipment comes from. For example, if you are traveling mid-day BOS to SFO, the inbound equipment comes from IAD which is forecast to experience 3-5 inches of snow- enough to shutdown operations.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Success! Rerouted on EI ORD-DUB. No EWR for me!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nigos
It also depends upon where the equipment comes from. For example, if you are traveling mid-day BOS to SFO, the inbound equipment comes from IAD which is forecast to experience 3-5 inches of snow- enough to shutdown operations.
Yeah. Didn't want to go too crazy, but...

The LGA 7:45 AM on a 738 is already in LGA.
The EWR 6:30 AM on a 739 is inbound from San Diego on a redeye.

So inbound flights shouldn't be a significant concern although rain is supposed to start at 5 AM and turn to Rain/Snow at 7 AM per Weather Channel. Typically I would say earlier is better, but with the 7:45 AM LGA flight already here, that is kind of nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.