Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to the list of United's cancelled flights for 26 November:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Link to travel waiver for this event:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...72-2045-1-1156

American and Delta Airlines are carriers that also have waivers in place.

AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp

US: http://www.usairways.com/TravelCente...dvisories.aspx

DL: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html

AS: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx
Print Wikipost

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Whats your itinerary? IE where are you coming from. Did you look at the weather? ORD looks totally fine tomorrow as does PHL. Wednesday especially the later you go looks when it has the chance to be really causing trouble. Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by jed012788
The most important thing on Wednesday is somehow getting out of EWR, but I have a tangential question for the group. Please indulge my curiosity.

I'm very aware of the ridiculousness surrounding the PNR splitting at check-in in order to process companion upgrades. In a situation like Wednesday, where there is a fairly high chance of a cancelation, my instincts say not to split the PNRs under any circumstance. Is my gut correct? And if so, are upgrades out of the question? I've read through the thread about PNR splitting a few times, but I'm still a little confused about the whole process. I don't travel with my wife on UA very much.
Splitting a PNR seems like a bad move in the situation, where your priority might be getting from A->B in time for the holiday.

in fact, I can recall nearly missing a flight with a pregnant wife because we'd split PNRs in the hope of playing the u/g game and weather hit, ended up on standby and nearly got separated.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by bdlman
Whats your itinerary? IE where are you coming from. Did you look at the weather? ORD looks totally fine tomorrow as does PHL. Wednesday especially the later you go looks when it has the chance to be really causing trouble. Good luck.
DEN-ORD-PHL.

Weather looks OK on 11/25, so I think I am in good (better at least) shape....
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:54 pm
Suspended

What about international flights out of EWR? Cancelled too?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What about international flights out of EWR? Cancelled too?
Huh? Nothing has been cancelled.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
1. Call UA
2. Downgrade to Y, no reason to pay for UA F domestically.
3. Change your PHL to ZFV. That way you can fly nonstop to EWR and get on a train to Philly, eliminating the chance of getting stuck in ORD. I imagine between eliminating the ORD layover and adding back the incremental train travel time you'll end up coming out even on time in transit.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
Splitting a PNR seems like a bad move in the situation, where your priority might be getting from A->B in time for the holiday.

in fact, I can recall nearly missing a flight with a pregnant wife because we'd split PNRs in the hope of playing the u/g game and weather hit, ended up on standby and nearly got separated.
+1. I would not split under any circumstance given the dynamic nature of the situation and number of people that will be clamoring for space on the wings to get to their destination. You're best off staying together.

Unrelated note: Got my xEWR changed to xORD and even managed to snag great seats! Huge relief going into the holidays.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Good lucky to both of you! As someone who flies to TPA monthly, I've been the victim of a massive EWR delay only twice (usually route through other hubs) arriving at 2:30am one time and 3:40am the other time. I was on the 9pm departure both times. I guess it's better then canceling altogether, but still...

Hope you make it safely and within a reasonable time..
Thanks! When I called there was nothing available EWR-MCO that worked with my schedule, but then I asked about changing airports and they switched me to a EWR-PBI on Wednesday morning no questions asked. Now leaving EWR at 6am, so it should increase my odds substantially and PBI is actually more convenient for me anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I have just had an amazing series of statements made when trying to change my ORD-EWR-Europe flight on the 26th:

1. The fare difference of $2300 applied
2. There is no waiver
3. You are flying through O'Hare and the waiver there is for the 24th. Apparently because I want to avoid flying into EWR, then the waiver isn't valid (I begin to think the agent is a distant relative of J. Heller).
4. The waiver is for change fee only
5. We can't move you to the codeshare because the fareclass isn't available

Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jed012788
I'm very aware of the ridiculousness surrounding the PNR splitting at check-in in order to process companion upgrades. In a situation like Wednesday, where there is a fairly high chance of a cancelation, my instincts say not to split the PNRs under any circumstance. Is my gut correct? And if so, are upgrades out of the question? I've read through the thread about PNR splitting a few times, but I'm still a little confused about the whole process. I don't travel with my wife on UA very much.
It depends how badly you want to get there.

You may get an upgrade in advance by CPU, but you won't be on the upgrade standby list for an upgrade at the gate.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Weather.gov is saying 2-4in of snow on Wednesday for EWR.

Issued by The National Weather ServiceNew York City, NY
Tue, Nov 25, 4:13 am EST... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.
* LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY... NORTHERN NASSAU COUNTY... SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER COUNTY... WESTERN COASTAL CONNECTICUT... .AND PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.
* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.
* TIMING... A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW WEDNESDAY MORNING SHOULD CHANGE TO ALL SNOW BY LATE AFTERNOON.
* IMPACTS... THE SNOWFALL WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY TRAVEL... MAKING DRIVING DANGEROUS AT TIMES.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
given the potential storm, I'm pretty happy now that for the first time in my life i won't be traveling into NYC for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1K
flying DEN-PHL tomorrow morning...curious as to how this shakes out.

wish the waiver extended to friday...flying out of BWI and would love to change it to PHL. oh well.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by radiowell
Thank you UA (and DL and AA)! I really needed to change Wed transcon trip a day earlier (for a reason unrelated to weather)

I called in to get the change, plus did the SDC to get even better flights that showed up later.

Safe travels everyone!!

Why did you have to change then SDC? So long as the desired flight had a seat for sale, the waiver should have allowed you on it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
It depends how badly you want to get there.

You may get an upgrade in advance by CPU, but you won't be on the upgrade standby list for an upgrade at the gate.
Figured the same. I'm not even going to check in until I get to the airport because I don't trust United's IT system won't just split my reservation on its own if I attempt to check in online.

(Assuming I make it to the airport at all tomorrow. It's going to be an adventure.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.