Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
FYI, just checked my last few amex plat statements, I'm getting 5x MR on MPX purchases
Is UA your selected airline with Amex?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:12 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kamildeen
it sounds like you need to be physically in the USA. Here is the direct quote :
"I’m sorry to hear you encountered a problem when trying to use the MileagePlus X app. We’re trying to figure out why.
If you were trying to make a purchase using the app and you were outside the 50 United States, that would explain why you received the error. In case you didn’t already know, the app can only process purchases made when you are physically located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
If you were physically in the 50 United States when you tried making your purchase, please let me know so we can research this issue further."
There is a way to use the app from outside the US. I discovered this recently and have been using it to buy numerous gift cards while traveling outside the US since. I do it from my desktop PC, but there should be no problem doing it from your mobile phone. Here's the solution:

1. Go to this website: https://giftcards.mileageplus.com/
2. At "Payment type" near the top, select "credit card"
3. Every card available with the earn rate will display
4. You can filter by "earn/redemption rate" to find the highest earn rate. You can also filter by category if you are looking only for restaurant GCs, etc.
5. You will need to sign in to make the purchase.
6. Click on the desired card
7. Enter gift card value
8. Select form of payment (if you have multiple cards registered)
9. Click Yes or No next to "Is this a gift?"
10. Click "Next"
11. Click "Purchase" (You will see a message saying that it will take three days for the purchase to process).
12. On the next screen you will see "Purchase is being processed" and "Transaction summary" showing miles earned for purchase, 25% Chase bonus, and total award miles earned.

It takes three days for these purchases to process and after three days the GCs will show up in the MPX app.

A few other data points I can add are that I have used this without any VPN while traveling abroad and the purchases go through. I have also used a VPN, and the purchases go through. Also, my MP account is registered to my US address.

This is a really useful solution that allows me to take advantage of the Chase Freedom Card's 5% bonus categories while traveling abroad. For example, I have purchased several restaurant (under the "Food" category) GCs during the Freedom's Q3 promotion, netting me anywhere from 11 to 16 points (5 UR points and 6-11 MP points) per $1 spent, depending on the earn rate of each card. Currently, there are no earn rates above 5 points, but there have been a few 10 point GCs in the last few months. Of course, you could also take these GCs and buy goods at the the MP or Chase portals, further upping your earn rate.

I hope this helps. I'd like to hear how others fare with this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Superorb
Is UA your selected airline with Amex?
what do you mean? amex plat gives 5x on airfare for all airlines
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:58 pm

Not on the biz version. You didn't specify biz/personal
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah sorry, personal card
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
yeah sorry, personal card
Amex Biz Plat gives 5x on airfare booked on their (AmEx) website. (Only - I just had to call in and force them to give me the miles as I had initially booked with an Amex Travel agent, cancelled those bookings and then booked them online.)

Is the personal one different then?? (You earn on *any* airline purchases?)

I used my Amex Biz for an Amazon GC purchase - waiting to see what earn rate I achieve... (Now probably will only get 1x)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Sep 13, 2017 at 3:16 am Reason: Further clarity...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Amex Biz Plat gives 5x on airfare booked on their (AmEx) website. (Only - I just had to call in and force them to give me the miles as I had initially booked with an Amex Travel agent, cancelled those bookings and then booked them online.)

Is the personal one different then?? (You earn on *any* airline purchases?)

I used my Amex Biz for an Amazon GC purchase - waiting to see what earn rate I achieve... (Now probably will only get 1x)
Yes, the personal card earns 5x on ANY airline purchases booked with any airline. I don't know if it also counts for airfare through an OTA. I have only the Biz version.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not 100% 5x and the fact that amex does not award the points earned on the same statement (they wait a statement) makes it harder to keep track. i will be using mpx as much as possible with amex plat to gather data points.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Its not 100% 5x and the fact that amex does not award the points earned on the same statement (they wait a statement) makes it harder to keep track. i will be using mpx as much as possible with amex plat to gather data points.
I'll report on my biz card - but doubt they will award.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
A little off topic but have you found that you get the 5x with OTA purchases or just directly with the airlines?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:30 am

Anybody know if the AMC Theaters' gift card purchased thru MPX app is redeemable online on amctheaters.com?

AMC doesn't allow gift card numbers starting with 6006 to be redeemed online.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Silver
Does buying gift cards thru Mileage Plus X app count towards the 25K spend waiver?

If i charge gift cards thru Mileage Plus X on my Chase United card, will that count towards the 25K spend I need to get Premier status this year?

Can't find answer....
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:10 pm

AFAIK all purchases through mpx count as regular spending, which in turn counts towards the waiver.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Chase doesn't care where you spend the money so long as it shows up on the statement and you pay the bill.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: United Silver
looking at this and wonder if "cash-like" included gift cards

"Net Purchases" are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable. Purchases made by authorized users will qualify toward the primary Cardmember's Net Purchases total but authorized users are not eligible for the PQD Waiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.