Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving travel week begins for UA travelers ...

Thanksgiving travel week begins for UA travelers ...

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I'm flying back from PVG on Wed. GPU has cleared so I'm good to go. Traveling internationally should be a more civilized experience this week than what my domestic road warrior friends will experience. Save travels and happy Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've got PHL-IAH-LAX-YUM on Thanksgiving Thursday and an overnight YUM-LAX-EWR on Saturday. Get to drag my parents through the first half of it. Should be... interesting.

Last edited by dantorsiello; Nov 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Flying to FRA Tuesday and then Barcelona (BCN) Wednesday a.m. Upgrade cleared on booking. Returning Sunday and it looks much tighter. Would have thought that loads would be light on the way to the US the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Flying to MXP on Wednesday, return Monday. Upgrades cleared at booking for both so it won't be that bad.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm doing:

DCA-CLT-OMA on Wednesday evening (on US, obviously)

and then,

LNK-DEN-SFO-HND departing on Saturday.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I'm finishing up on a bos-ewr-hnl-ord-bos MR, and it's already beginning. My hnl-ord flight cleared 23 standbys, ruining my chance to lie flat economy first. For ord-bos, which had E+ pretty much empty a week ago, is now completely full with only 2 standbys clearing. Could be because it's the first flight of the day but personally on a Sunday i'd rather sleep in.

Safe travels to all, may the ToD Gods go on vacation so we can clear and avoid kettles/luggage going sideways in the bins.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yup, this is what I do every year....but leaving on Thanksgiving day.

Love to travel on the actual holiday. None of the craziness from earlier in the week and surprisingly, everyone is in a pretty good mood for working on the holiday.
The reason United employees are seeming happy on the holiday is because they're getting paid time and a half or double time to work that day. They also are dealing with fewer flights as United often runs a lighter schedule that day.

Travel on the actual holiday is fantastic! Award space is easier to come by on those days too. I also have seen empty premium seats around me...even on DXB flights. With less business travelers, boarding group 1-2 tend to be a little smaller, and upgrades are easier to get. Of course, the holiday is important to be at your destination when you are going to family, but when you are on vacation, it's a great travel day!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by psychoandy
Safe travels to all, may the ToD Gods go on vacation so we can clear and avoid kettles/luggage going sideways in the bins.
LOL, after reading this, I immediately got the image in my head of a once-a-year traveler lying sideways in the bin. New way to cram more people in Y.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bse118
LNK-DEN-SFO-HND departing on Saturday.
Smh.....

Safe travels friend. Hope that GPU cleared.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:42 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
PDX-EWR on Wed and EWR-PDX back on Monday, hope it doesn't snow and mess things up even more than the mess we will have with all the amateurs
(Plus coordinating meeting our niece in the airport from a different flight/airline...)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Hope for VDB on return !

IAH 11/26 - PVR 11/29

Outbound: SO and I both received CPU @ T-96.

Return: I don't have a seat assignment, SO does. I check daily at least 2x and nothing yet. I will volunteer !
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Five or so years ago I did a SIN mileage run leaving the day before Thanksgiving via ORD. What a great use of the holiday : ).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Weather for NYC area on 11/26

Rain mixed with snow. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 30s. Precipitation chance 100%
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
It's definitely a relief not having to travel this week.
Actually the best travel days I've ever had was flying on Thanksgiving Day. Everyone flies early to get where they are going before Thursday and leave sometime after Thursday. I took an SQ from Hong Kong to SF a number of years ago and I was the only person in Business Class. First was empty. (And true to their stingy upgrade policy, the FAs wouldn't let me use one of the sleeper beds in First.) No waiting for boarding or bags.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: United 1MM
I'm on MEL-LAX-EWR. Did the same last year (except via SYD) and it went OK except for missing the LAX-EWR connection and getting the next flight. Intl flights on the day before Thanksgiving are usually pretty good. Done it 3 times before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.