Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Start the ByeUnited and see what happens. Good luck! It's a great idea.
As for intl travel and airlines with good FF program, one criteria to not expect is the easy upgrade. Since ual has limited the easy upgrade, it's pointless to expect it from other airlines. Easy upgrades used to be standard, now they're probably the 25% exception.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
Using Miles after Program Change

I'm aware that the method in which a flyer earns miles changes, however, are there any changes in the way a flyer can use those miles or is that remaining unchanged?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by halpie97
I'm aware that the method in which a flyer earns miles changes, however, are there any changes in the way a flyer can use those miles or is that remaining unchanged?
Sure that will be the next "change you'll like".
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So far no changes since the redemption rates changes effective Feb 2014. My gut feeling is that be no additional redemption rate changes in 2015 given those recent changes. I hope not -- the latest set of changes have been enough.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
back in March it changed already with higher redemption rates

i have seen anecdotal evidence of stringent tightening of advanced availability so one could argue that it has changed for the worse in that regard too. i'm sitting on 320K that i want to use to book travel to NZ in December 2015 and looking at the end of the calendar right now (Oct 2015) it's a very grim situation to be me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
So here's an unintended consequence of the new "donor" policy. For example, assume

PAX 1 has status 1
PAX 2 has status 2

PAX 1 donates miles to PAX 2 for a free ticket, and both PAX 1 & 2 are on the same PNR.

Previously, PAX 1's MP# would initially be in the reservation for PAX 1 and his/her status would be shown, but PAX 2's would be blank and the BP would have no status listed. If PAX 2's MP number was manually entered, and the BP reprinted, then PAX 2's own status would show.

Now (and since a new software load on November 12 as explained to me by a GS agent), tickets bought prior to November 12 will not be able to properly show PAX 2's own status on BPs, even if the MP# is manually entered. The very kind GS agent confirmed this is a consequence of the aforementioned changes, and no one as of yet has a work-around.

To put it another way, PAX 2's own status cannot be displayed if the miles for PAX 2's ticket came from another account.

So be sure to bring your MP card if you want recognition/benefits.

Last edited by wxguy; Nov 25, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This change is about how you earn award miles used for travel/upgrades/.... and applies uniformly to MP members around the world.

For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html

This info is how you earn status and the new PQD requirements apply to members in different ways -- for instance non-USA residents are presently exempt for PQDs in qualifying for status in 2015.

For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2k-2015-a.html

Thx for the explanation. So I was mixing up 2 things here.
I'm not a hardcore traveler like most people on this site, but I do make an effort to make it to 25.000 PQM (no business trips) every year in order to keep my silver status which has been worth less and less over the years.
I don't do it to get the upgrades, because silver is simply not enough. It's always a nice suprise if an upgrade does clear though, but I never expect it to.
I do it to skip the long lines at security in some (busy) airports, to board the plane before most people can. I'm suffering a very bad knee injury and I like to get seated before everyone is pushing to get to the back of the plane. And since I always have to catch a connecting flight, like to have my carry on as close to me as possible, in case it's a tight connection.
I thought I did it for the free bag, but apparently, that rule doesn't apply for overseas flights. For overseas flights everyone can check in one bag for free. I figured as a silver I get one bag for free on top of that (I believe Delta works that way)... no such thing

Well, I get it's very very frustrating for a lot of people, but for now I can be relieved they're not touching the way to earn status for non-us residents. I usually spend twice a year between $800 and $1500 a ticket in economy and a lil more if I fly a one way in BF, but that's including all the taxes. I'm not sure, but that is probably not enough to qualify for silver
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I hate the steady "drip, drip" of the loss of benefits and feel really trapped since I'm closing in on one million miles. I've already given up on any more 1K status since I don't come near the $10K spend, so now I just have to gut it out for another two-three years before MM kicks in.

The loss of benefits for companions is a big negative for me. Most of my miles are spent on domestic travel for my family members and the extra baggage allowance and E+ seating are big benefits.

I hope that when I hit MM the lifetime Gold status will still apply but that may also be a pipe dream given the trajectory of status devaluation.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The PS changes are insane because the co-pays are so outrageous. 20,000 miles + $250 copay + cost of ticket or 25K for a BusinessFirst award? No one can be that stupid.

They are ridiculously uncompetitive both in product and in offers for this route. Period.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by demkr
The PS changes are insane because the co-pays are so outrageous. 20,000 miles + $250 copay + cost of ticket or 25K for a BusinessFirst award? No one can be that stupid.

They are ridiculously uncompetitive both in product and in offers for this route. Period.
Until you factor in no saver award availability on this route anymore
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm not so sure about that.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr

One requires upgrade space, the other requires saver award space. Which do you think would be easier?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by entropy
A few of the changes are up, and I think you'll like them :

Removing the mileage "donor" status from tickets purchased with their miles, and elimination of the Global entry payment code benefit.
just to understand ,does this mean you now wont be able to make unlimited free changes to award tkts if the mile donor has 1k status but the flyer doesnt?

if that is the case-then there is no point me staying 1k anymore
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
just to understand ,does this mean you now wont be able to make unlimited free changes to award tkts if the mile donor has 1k status but the flyer doesnt? ....
Doubt that will be true, the miles will still belong to the elite. However during travel the passagner will travel based on their status, not the donor's.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
One requires upgrade space, the other requires saver award space. Which do you think would be easier?
Neither easy, but upgrade space is just difficult whereas saver J space is nearly impossible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.