Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by anandrag
The 75k award mile max seems to be per ticket. I was just bought a C class ticket for work that cost close to $9k. Leaving lot of miles on the table due to that max.
What would have happened if they bought 2 one ways (assuming for business that the cost is same which it usually is)? Would I have earned up to 75k max per one way? Wouldn't have earned whole max but potentially been 11X (as 1k) times $4.5k each way

Will they see 2 1-ways as 1 ticket even if 2 different ticket numbers or is this way to get around 75k max?
The maximum is per ticket. Had you flown on two tickets you would have earned 11x the PQD with a max of 75k miles per ne way ticket.

ETA:
Originally Posted by anandrag
Will they see 2 1-ways as 1 ticket even if 2 different ticket numbers or is this way to get around 75k max?
No!

Last edited by goalie; Jul 31, 2015 at 2:45 pm Reason: Please quote the member's name when quoting all parts of their post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The maximum is per ticket. Had you flown on two tickets you would have earned 11x the PQD with a max of 75k miles per ne way ticket.
Indeed. If it was just bought, or the fare rules allow, perhaps try to cancel/rebook or even convert to two one-ways.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Indeed. If it was just bought, or the fare rules allow, perhaps try to cancel/rebook or even convert to two one-ways.
Good idea. Ticket was bought by TA of client so makes it all a little more complex. Will try to contact UA and see whether they can split ticket. Fear they will say has to be done by TA and going to my client's exec assistant to ask for this will be weird...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by aacharya
But then two one-ways will almost always be more expensive than a single return. That's great if your company will pay for it....

For the past five years, my partner has been buying tons of 10K+ RTW tickets (none of which earned more than 60K RDM) that has at least one LH segment, either FRA-HKG or vv. Unfortunately, the changes didn't come soon enough (retired a month before the change), otherwise I would've have him try crediting the LH segment to LH's program to minimize the "waste" and see what happens.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by kittiyut
But then two one-ways will almost always be more expensive than a single return. That's great if your company will pay for it....
Just queried a few TPAC routes and many times one way tickets cost similar (or very slightly more) than a r.t. ticket. If the 75,000 award mile cap comes into play, as it would for the HKG route, I would elect to pay the approximately $500 - $1000 more to purchase one way tickets, and bank the extra 50,000 miles.

Europe, on the other hand, is considerably more expensive when purchasing o.w. tickets vs. r.t. ticket. Not sure what the explanation is there, but that is how it is. I see r.t. tickets costing a few thousand less than the o.w.'s.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:21 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Why is there no thread for 2016 Program changes? Now half month into Feb., can we be sure that 2015-2016 has no changes at all?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by V9
Why is there no thread for 2016 Program changes? Now half month into Feb., can we be sure that 2015-2016 has no changes at all?
You may have missed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-changes.html

There were a few changes
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2016-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2016-a.html

and an announced non-change
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ge-2016-a.html

Since this is the 2015 program thread, let's have the 2016 discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-changes.html

and will close this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.