Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UAMP
My lower earned miles so far

I just wanted to jump in with my numbers so far. Since I mostly fly on government funded trips, we're required to fly a US carrier, and also to use the lowest logical fare. Therefore, as others have obviously seen, my mileage earned has dropped since it's now revenue based. I wanted to wait a little to see how things are averaging out, and now that I've completed about 25k miles of actual travel, both domestic and international, I can see how it is going to go for me.

I'm Platinum status this year. So even thought I get 9x revenue for award miles, it's still doesn't quite add up to the miles flown.
From Mar 1 to today:
23,997 PQM (I take this to be miles actually flown)
22,904 Award Miles earned.
That's on $2,486 PQD.

So, if I keep up my Platinum status I'll basically earn award miles at a rate I used to be able to earn as a general member. It remains to be seen if this is "worth it" to have less miles to spend on taking my family members on occasional trips with me.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:58 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by drmcmartin
I just wanted to jump in with my numbers so far. Since I mostly fly on government funded trips, we're required to fly a US carrier, and also to use the lowest logical fare. Therefore, as others have obviously seen, my mileage earned has dropped since it's now revenue based. I wanted to wait a little to see how things are averaging out, and now that I've completed about 25k miles of actual travel, both domestic and international, I can see how it is going to go for me.

I'm Platinum status this year. So even thought I get 9x revenue for award miles, it's still doesn't quite add up to the miles flown.
From Mar 1 to today:
23,997 PQM (I take this to be miles actually flown)
22,904 Award Miles earned.
That's on $2,486 PQD.

So, if I keep up my Platinum status I'll basically earn award miles at a rate I used to be able to earn as a general member. It remains to be seen if this is "worth it" to have less miles to spend on taking my family members on occasional trips with me.
It's very tricky. I have benefitted by the new award plan, since I have bought short-distance first-class flights and medium-priced coast-to-coast flights.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Just booked a flight to Dubai from NYC - was reminded in my email from United that I would be earning 2,660 miles for this trip. At least I'm earning a little over 14,000 PQM for it. I miss the old United ways.
This is why the SFO - AUH on Etihad AA codeshare is now rather enticing.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Shorted PQD after schedule change

I emailed MPSC about a discrepancy on my PQD (and therefore RDM also).

I was credited:
4/11 UA541 JFK-SFO 2475 $225
4/11 UA869 SFO-HKG 5181 $471
4/15 NH860 HKG-HND 1573 $143
4/19 UA880 NRT-HNL 2893 $263
4/19 UA14 HNL-EWR 3520 $320
4/20 UA4885 EWR-IAD 352 $ 32
The above totals 15994 award miles, and 1454 PQD.

Originally, the last flight was UA4886 EWR-BWI, but due to schedule change that flight was no longer available...so I had them change the endpoint to IAD. Both versions of the receipt show:
Airfare: 1,407.00USD
International Surcharge: 145.20
...which totals $1552.20 towards PQD.

This is a shortage of at least 98PQD. I emailed MPSC about this, and the response I got back was:
The PQD' s earned are correct. When the ticket was exchanged, it changed the PQD's earned.
How could this be right? Shouldn't I get the amount shown on my receipt? Or if the fare really changed, am I not entitled to the lower fare, and therefore a credit/refund?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wh6cto
How could this be right? Shouldn't I get the amount shown on my receipt? Or if the fare really changed, am I not entitled to the lower fare, and therefore a credit/refund?
If your post-change receipt shows you paid airfare + int'l surcharge of $1552.20, send them a copy of it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If your post-change receipt shows you paid airfare + int'l surcharge of $1552.20, send them a copy of it.
Sadly, that's exactly what I did. Twice.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wh6cto
Sadly, that's exactly what I did. Twice.
Wow that's gotta be frustrating.

1kvoice just fixed one of these for me. It was only $90 (a changed ticket, just like yours), but it's kind of the principle of the thing . . . .
Old May 8, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

1kvoice just fixed one of these for me. It was only $90 (a changed ticket, just like yours), but it's kind of the principle of the thing . . . .
Agreed, can't give em an inch...
Old May 15, 2015, 6:39 am

Just wanted to follow up...I was thinking of letting it slide being a small amount, but as you all say, it's a principle thing. I called MPSC, and spent 45 minutes on the phone with them. They finally agreed to credit me 99 PQD and the 11x RDM difference. The adjustment showed up in my account immediately.

Thanks for allowing me to vent, and suggesting a course of action that actually fixed the problem.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Premier iK, Accor Platinum
I just got the PQD and award miles from my March 31st flight BUD-SAT fixed.

They still need to get all the places they display the award miles, PQM, & PQD to agree. My receipt for the 3/31 flight shows the MP earnings, but the breakdown by flight is significantly different from what they actually awarded. Of course the :More Information" popup had a different set of numbers.

On my next trip, the "More Information" display of earnings totals is wrong and doesn't match the display of earnings on the receipt. I will see how the actual earnings compare to those numbers.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

These changes are just too frustrating for the international traveller. I imagine there will be folks who fly 100k miles plus who find themselves cheated because flights were booked as bulk or not on a 016 code. I am having cajole clients who want to book international tickets through their agent but don't want to waste time on the A*retentiveness of an airline mileage program idiosyncrasies.

UA's international network is lacking and booking flights is much more expensive that the competition.

So this does leave me looking at status match to AA and or Etihad for flights to Africa and Middle East this fall.

United, you are screwing up, royally.

UA: the Middle East carriers are expanding into your market. Fight back, don't make the easy choice to be a switch to their program.

Last edited by LeviFlight; May 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 10:02 pm

Seems like only me here, but never one not to talk to an empty room. Anyway, trying to book SFO- AUH on 016. LH no longer flies there. UA flies to DXB but means traveling on UA transUS. I do too much of that as is. Find that the Turks fly a well timed route. Turns out that UA can't ticket Tk on that route so can't get an 016. Pah. looks like the Turks or Etihad. Perhaps just venting at the lack of vision at UA.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The new system is working well for me on both biz and leisure travel.

Example 1: SFO-IAH, base fare in Y $365 x 7 = 2555 rdm v. 2044 (pre-2015)

Example 2: SEA-SFO, base fare in F $269 x 7 = 1883 rdm v. 1186 (pre-2015)

Of course will be even better when my status goes up
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Award miles down by 50%

I looked at my mileage account and I just realized how much the award has been reduced. I just did BOS<->HKG (V or W fare). It scored 17138 miles. By the previous rules that would have been 34420 (as it was in Jan this year).

Simple math: let's say we have a 1k with 100k miles and 10k spent. By the old rules that would score 200,000 award miles, by the new one it only scores 110,000.

So basically United has cut awards in half. Very disappointing.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
I looked at my mileage account and I just realized how much the award has been reduced. I just did BOS<->HKG (V or W fare). It scored 17138 miles. By the previous rules that would have been 34420 (as it was in Jan this year).

Simple math: let's say we have a 1k with 100k miles and 10k spent. By the old rules that would score 200,000 award miles, by the new one it only scores 110,000.

So basically United has cut awards in half. Very disappointing.
They've cut awards in half for flyers who purchase highly discounted fares. Awards for flyers who buy expensive fares are doubling, tripling, or even more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.