Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pedro Gonzales
I fly UA almost every week. But I always kayak to see how much the lowest cost alternative is, and how much more i'm paying for my UA ticket. After accounting for the bonus miles (since i'm a 1K, I earned 1/3rd of the miles towards a savers award ticket every time i flew), UA still came out ahead most of the time. When it didn't, I flew Jet Blue.

For my flights post March 1st, I won't need to net out in the miles anymore, but surprisingly, every flight i've booked (10 so far) is the cheapest option available. That was rarely the case earlier. I wonder if this is their new strategy or if i just don't have enough data points yet.
I am seeing some shockingly low prices. Low oil helps.

Or it could be that their RM strategy has backfired on them
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I am seeing some shockingly low prices. Low oil helps.

Or it could be that their RM strategy has backfired on them
Low oil prices should cut across the board. Doesn't explain why UA, which used to be amongst the most expensive choices (before accounting for the RDMs) is now the cheapest. Maybe they'd hedged the least and so they are able to benefit from falling prices before everyone else.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pedro Gonzales
Low oil prices should cut across the board. Doesn't explain why UA, which used to be amongst the most expensive choices (before accounting for the RDMs) is now the cheapest. Maybe they'd hedged the least and so they are able to benefit from falling prices before everyone else.
Hedging positions may vary. But agreed it is helping all.

Maybe it is the RM strategy - price skimming far out may have bitten them in the rear. We'll see what Q4 comes in at.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Still no partner earnings charts? I bailed on switching to UA because they still hadn't posted them by year end and I'm still worried as to how much they will get slashed.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Still no partner earnings charts? I bailed on switching to UA because they still hadn't posted them by year end and I'm still worried as to how much they will get slashed.
Same here. I was hoping to move to MP for 2015 but didn't want to without this information.

As it stands it looks like I'm in for AC Altitude for 2015 and will wait to make a change depending on 2016 changes.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UAMP Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold

Well, more changes we are going to like. The partner earning charts have taken a nice hit as well! Cant say Im surprised. With UA's level of service generally being inferior to that of most partners they knew there would be a mass exodus if we could fly a better airlines AND get more miles.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by flymd
Well, more changes we are going to like. The partner earning charts have taken a nice hit as well! Cant say Im surprised. With UA's level of service generally being inferior to that of most partners they knew there would be a mass exodus if we could fly a better airlines AND get more miles.
There is at least one minor silver lining to the changes: Austrian K class will earn 50% RDM and PQM instead of just PQM.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Just read the new partners earning pages (seems like the whole world is trying to do that based on the slowness of loading the partners section). Unclear if we will still get premier bonus when flying Lufthansa (as an example) with a non-United issued ticket. The premier bonus section still appears but unclear if that's part of the pre-March program terms or not. Additionally, for the non-016 tickets it states: "Mileage accrual is based on distance flown, class of service and purchased fare class", but below the chart it sais: "MileagePlus award miles earned may vary depending on the Premier status of the customer."
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, lishorsh
Originally Posted by lishorsh
Just read the new partners earning pages (seems like the whole world is trying to do that based on the slowness of loading the partners section). Unclear if we will still get premier bonus when flying Lufthansa (as an example) with a non-United issued ticket. The premier bonus section still appears but unclear if that's part of the pre-March program terms or not. Additionally, for the non-016 tickets it states: "Mileage accrual is based on distance flown, class of service and purchased fare class", but below the chart it sais: "MileagePlus award miles earned may vary depending on the Premier status of the customer."
This is a key question/discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-2015-a.html -- no definitive answer yet from UA.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Emirates Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
"As of April 15, 2015, complimentary Premier Access for travelers on award tickets is based on the traveler's Premier status on the day of travel, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket"

Interesting - fact is, this has always been the official policy - after the merger, a "glitch" in the system automatically imported the MP number of the account buying the reward ticket - and could not be overridden (even if the traveler was of higher status). Customer service has always referred to this a a glitch in the system (it started just after the programs were merged). Guess it's been around so long that they are calling it a "benefit" that is going away - fact is, they are finally fixing the glitch...

Too bad, my kids have been flying as pretend GS members for a couple of years...time to toss them to the back where they belong...lol
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Additional discussion on this topic may be found (and continued) here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TimInSF
Truly disappointing that the MP program gets less and less attractive and the benefits continue to get reduced at the same time the qualifications get increased and the onboard experience continues to deteriorate. At some point even loyal UA flyers like myself are going to start walking away. I am a 10+ year 1K with 1.5 million miles who has been flying United since I was a kid, but at a certain point, enough is enough.

It is looking more and more like 2015 might be the year that I walk away . . .

Tim
this is why I loved flying on Middle Eastern airlines. UA economy plus is Emirates economy, UA First Class is Qatar's business
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
This is a brilliant way for UA to foil employers that force employees to use corporate credit cards for business travel. Those cards generally earn no miles. UA has found a way to get the merchants to directly pay for the miles and thus once again influence purchasing choices by employees. CFOs will slit their wrists as UA has escalated the arms race.

I hope other airlines catch on to this, but given UA's prohibitive lead in IT infrastructure, it will be a long time.

I hate to admit it, but SMI,J has done good here. ^ At least UA is trying.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:50 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by mre5765
This is a brilliant way for UA to foil employers that force employees to use corporate credit cards for business travel. Those cards generally earn no miles. UA has found a way to get the merchants to directly pay for the miles and thus once again influence purchasing choices by employees. CFOs will slit their wrists as UA has escalated the arms race.

I hope other airlines catch on to this, but given UA's prohibitive lead in IT infrastructure, it will be a long time.

I hate to admit it, but SMI,J has done good here. ^ At least UA is trying.
I don't know what this is referring to...can you explain?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Mileage earnings on partner airlines going up...

Can you imagine how surprised I was to learn that deep discount tickets on Brussels airlines that used to earn no miles now will start earning miles as of March 1st...
Even more miles than you would earn in the M&M program.
That's a nice advantage compared to all the other devaluations...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.