Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 am

2015 MileagePlus Program Updates Announced (Master/Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
When you can buy UA miles at <2cpm, and use them without YQ, there is zero reason to fly when your purpose is RDMs for awards.
Each person is different, I fly because I have to fly to/from work, then I pay for leisure flights.

I'm not rich, can't afford to fly leisure as much as I'd like to, so why wouldn't I put the most thought into using those miles?

Not flying internationally status really isn't that important to me, I've gotten used to it sure and I love the small perks, but they're small.

So my goal is to not change my current lifestyle/work situation, and get the most out of the miles I earn. If UA weren't slashing their partners at the knees then I'd be going there, not that they care because they won't really see any extra revenue generated from me, but I would credit there and use miles with them. Instead, I'll keep earning them at AC and book my flights through AP.

There is no reason to fly to earn miles...but if you're already kinda forced to fly, why not earn them where they're most useful or "profitable" to you personally?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:21 pm

With the 2015 changes, will service & benefits improve for Premier elite members?

Hi, people.

Haven't been your following discussions, but is Premier Silver/Gold/Platinum availability of benefits expected to improve with the 2014/2015 program changes? For one, it will be the first year that qualification dollars will impact the membership numbers, no? Just curious...

Last edited by Cadenza99; Dec 12, 2014 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Cadenza99
Haven't been your following discussions, but is Premier Silver/Gold/Platinum availability of benefits expected to improve with the 2014/2015 program changes? For one, it will be the first year that qualification dollars will impact the membership numbers, no? Just curious...
The discussion is voluminous and you should browse it, but the short answer is: there is no evidence that changing the rules and configuration of the elite tiers will result in an improved travel experience for those remaining.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 787fan
so are there ANY positive changes at all ?
The main one I can see is if you have a business class ticket for $7000 (8000 including tax), you will get 7000 x 5 = 35,000 miles (x5 for no status passengers, somewhat higher multiple for elite status) compared to maybe 8000 miles + 25% business class bonus = 10,000 miles under the old system.

Most of the changes are bad, I agree.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amartin1979
:-: When will they announce changes to partner earnings for 2015?
Originally Posted by TimInSF
No doubt within 24 hours of when Delta announces theirs!

Tim
I am waiting for the same question. For example, how about Air Canada or Lufthansa flights, airlines which are major Star Alliance airlines. The UA website says tickets with a UA flight number but operated by partners earn miles as if they were UA flights.

For Alaska's Mileage Plan (using Delta an example on an DL flight), you earn 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% or 125% of actual miles
25%: E class (which I think is not common)
50%: L, U, T, X, V class of service (which I think is very common for economy)
75%: H, Q, K class of service (which I think are less common and expensive)
100%: B, M, S class
125%: full Y class

For Delta's SkyMiles (flying on Alaska), very similar
50%: K, G, T, R
75%: Q, L, V
100%: B, M, H
Medallion Dollars: no
Medallion Miles to qualify (MQM): yes
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html

For Delta (flying on Air France), Business class earns 125-175%. This is usually less than if you flew business class on Delta. For example, west coast US to Europe might be $7000 round trip, yielding at least 35,000 miles. If on Air France, it might be 9,000 miles round trip + 25-75% bonus, which is less than 35,000 miles.

Another conclusion is that if you fly Delta, it doesn't matter if you deposit miles in DL or AS as far as earning more miles.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
??? Time ticking away...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mirror74
??? Time ticking away...
Could be as late as Feb 28, 2015 - hope not but no reason to assume it will be this month. The alignment of changes with calendar years has fairly disappeared from all the programs.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could be as late as Feb 28, 2015 - hope not but no reason to assume it will be this month. The alignment of changes with calendar years has fairly disappeared from all the programs.
Not good... would expect to go into 2015 with clear picture...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not good... would expect to go into 2015 with clear picture...
I think you are forgetting what airline this is
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
??? Time ticking away...
The changes don't take effect until March 1. Although agree, sooner would be better.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yup. DL didn't announce it's partner earnings levels effective Jan. 1 until the first week of December.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by TimInSF
Truly disappointing that the MP program gets less and less attractive and the benefits continue to get reduced at the same time the qualifications get increased and the onboard experience continues to deteriorate. At some point even loyal UA flyers like myself are going to start walking away. I am a 10+ year 1K with 1.5 million miles who has been flying United since I was a kid, but at a certain point, enough is enough.

It is looking more and more like 2015 might be the year that I walk away . . .

Tim
If someone who belongs to no mile program read these comments, he would have to think we were CRAZY to remain with United. It is an amazing, across the board devaluation. If you have a choice, why fly them at all. I am strictly going lowest price from now on and simply paying for a better seat/lounge (also lowered quality) as I go.

Originally Posted by sdmann
Been a loyal customer since they started non-stops to Seoul, Beijing and Shanghai. Been frugal since every $$$ is mine (Self Employed). So I resisted a couple of mileage tickets to try to get to the 1K requirement ($10K). Busting my B..s to buy a 1/2 Business fare, Coach to reach the $10K limit by Dec 31, but alas... next year it is going to be $12K to keep my 1K level for 2016. So, next year, I will use my free GPUs , then with all those extra saved miles, I will buy a bunch of free coach tickets for the second half of 2015, until all miles are used up. BTW: I will be a 1M / Gold for Life BS member by then.

Why? Because the $$$ comes out of my pocket.. and I would rather spend it on something fun like, College for my boys or a new car... or better yet.. add to my retirement savings. Sorry UAL, you are going to get stiffed by me and countless others, more than ever before. Punishing me for buying inexpensive fares you publish.....

If I ran my small company like that, and treated my customers this way, I would be out of business before you could say..... ooops.

Asiana and Korean Air, here I come. I really wanted to buy American. When you go to Korea, all the buses have slogans on them, "Buy Korean". Sad I am pushed away like that from our own countries corporate mismanagement. Used to be a Diamond member with Asiana until United came on the scene competitively. But I won't look back, because Asiana's got the best service of any airline I have flown on. The customer comes first attitude will win my $$$.

Enjoy your travels, Happy Holidays.

We had a good thing going UAL.

Scott
As awful as United is getting, and the service on Korean and Asiana far superior, I won't fly them after the Asiana SFO crash on 7/6/13. Their pilots are simply too poorly trained.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 15, 2014 at 4:23 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
these program changes are just sad.. along with the new "accrual" process. I'm sitting at 880,000 miles so I'm unfortunately in it until 1MM
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Box5
I am waiting for the same question. For example, how about Air Canada or Lufthansa flights, airlines which are major Star Alliance airlines. The UA website says tickets with a UA flight number but operated by partners earn miles as if they were UA flights.
I've just signed up for Mileage Plus and I have the same question around Air Canada.

For example, from United.com -

Flight:United 8100
Operated by Air Canada
Fare Class: Economy (L)

Flight: United 8101
Operated by Air Canada

What is the qualifying miles earning on those flights?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
... What is the qualifying miles earning on those flights?
you can research this at UA MP mileage earning for alliances and partners

Key items
  • PQM & RDM earning is determined by the flight operator. How ticketed does not matter. Codeshares do not change the earning.
    Partner RDM earning after 15 March 2015 may change (and potentially PQMs?) -- UA is changing to cost based RDMs post 15 March and it is assumed but not known yet that partner RDM earning will change
  • PQDs {if you are subject to PQD rules} -- how ticketed does matter -- see Earning PQM, PQS and PQD when you fly. Additionally a flight does not earn PQM or RDMs, it will not earn PDQs.
  • The fare class of the operator matters, so if a codeshare you need to contact the operator to find the real fare class
  • The program you are charging to matters, what you will earn crediting MP may be the same or different if you were to credit a different program
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by gglave

Flight:United 8100
Operated by Air Canada

What is the qualifying miles earning on those flights?
Domestic/Transborder earn 25% PQM
RDM will be earned according to ticket price and your multiplier since its UA issued 016 stock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.