Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Run with United gone wrong due to IRROPS - Advice?

Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:39 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold

Hello,

I was on my first mileage run for this year. The Itinerary was SJC - IAH - EWR - BQN - EWR - IAH - DEN - SJC with an immediate turn around.

I boarded my SJC - IAH flight and it got delayed progressively. When it was ready to take off, it was 2 hours behind schedule. That would've worked as I could've taken a later EWR - IAH flight and still make it to my connection to BQN.

Unfortunately, the plane went back to the gate and sat there for another hour or so. My chances were slim of making any connection. I couldn't cancel or back-out as the delays were progressive and there were no other alternative flights it being Monday morning

I ended up flying SJC - IAH, 4 hours delayed. Reached IAH and there was no way I could've made it to EWR to make my connection. The only other alternative was to wait a night in IAH or EWR to fly to BQN, which wasn't an option as I would return home 1 day later than scheduled.

The only other choice I had was to turn around and head back home. With this in mind, what should I do about my missed MR?

- Can I claim Original Routing Credit as my itinerary was SJC - SJC (via BQN) and I missed my connections due to United's delay?
- Can I claim a refund of un-used segments? Should I request a full or partial refund as I never got to my destination?
- For the future, should I have handled this differently [Edited to add this question]

Planning to send an email to United 1kVoice, but wanted to know what's possible, so that I can write accordingly.

Thanks
mp2

Last edited by mp2; Nov 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm Reason: added a question
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do you know what caused the delay? WX vs. MX changes how flexible UA will be with what ever you request.

If it was an MR and you need those miles i'd start with the ORC. If you can get them to credit you for the flight you won't be getting any miles back BUT you got the results of the MR with out the sitting on the airplane.

If they won't give you an ORC for whatever reason swing for the refund - why not?

But it definitely depends on what kind of delay you had. FWIW my BQN run in September went pearshaped too but it was after I got back from BQN so I got an ORC and home 10 hours early
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:56 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Do you know what caused the delay? WX vs. MX changes how flexible UA will be with what ever you request.

If it was an MR and you need those miles i'd start with the ORC. If you can get them to credit you for the flight you won't be getting any miles back BUT you got the results of the MR with out the sitting on the airplane.

If they won't give you an ORC for whatever reason swing for the refund - why not?

But it definitely depends on what kind of delay you had. FWIW my BQN run in September went pearshaped too but it was after I got back from BQN so I got an ORC and home 10 hours early
Thanks. It was MX for sure. I'll try with ORC and see how that goes.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Trip in vain is your answer. You will get full refund of your ticket. Make sure that agent put those words on your PNR. You will get the credits for the miles flown. Good luck.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:59 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Trip in vain is your answer. You will get full refund of your ticket. Make sure that agent put those words on your PNR. You will get the credits for the miles flown. Good luck.
Okay. I'll make sure I include "Trip in Vain".

I am thinking of requesting for ORC first and see how that goes. Once I hear back on that, I'll request a refund (based on the outcome of the ORC).

Do you suggest emailing 1KVoice or Customer care or call?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mp2
Okay. I'll make sure I include "Trip in Vain".

I am thinking of requesting for ORC first and see how that goes. Once I hear back on that, I'll request a refund (based on the outcome of the ORC).

Do you suggest emailing 1KVoice or Customer care or call?
Be careful - Trip in Vain is a refund - and then one doesn't really have a right to claim any PQMs.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:19 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Be careful - Trip in Vain is a refund - and then one doesn't really have a right to claim any PQMs.
OK thanks. I'll start with ORC first and see how that goes. I won't ask them for a refund in that conversation. Really hoping for ORC over a refund as that was my original intent anyways..
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mp2
OK thanks. I'll start with ORC first and see how that goes. I won't ask them for a refund in that conversation. Really hoping for ORC over a refund as that was my original intent anyways..
In your case, it is easier to request a refund (or rebooking) than ORC.

You should have no issue requesting credits for SJC-IAH-SJC.

The UA I know rarely allow ORC for flights than you did not even take for alternative routings.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you can request ORC and if approved, you should get PQMs and RDMs for the whole trip. you should also get PQDs. make your correspondence short and to the point: "i was flying PNR xxxxxx and due to a mechanical delay/cancel i was not able to complete the trip. i would like to request original routing credit including PQMs, PQDs and redeemable miles for the flight as ticketed".

others correct me if i am wrong but i think you want to send this to mileage plus service center and not necessarily to 1K voice (though they may forward it there on your behalf).

if you claim TIV and then try to claim ORC you'll be declined. TIV will give you a refund. ORC will not.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k

I had that happen on a round trip MR earlier this year.
Route was MCO-IAH-SEA-EWR-MCO.

MCO-IAH flight arrived late and I got to the gate 2 minutes after the door closed. The system had already rebooked md to my destination by the quickest means. that being a flight back to MCO which should have left 3 hours before but was running 4 hours late. Tickets were endorsed "carry over, carry back "

Claimed ORC which was agreed after explaining that I did not want a refund and also kept the credit for the miles flown back to MCO.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:08 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you can request ORC and if approved, you should get PQMs and RDMs for the whole trip. you should also get PQDs. make your correspondence short and to the point: "i was flying PNR xxxxxx and due to a mechanical delay/cancel i was not able to complete the trip. i would like to request original routing credit including PQMs, PQDs and redeemable miles for the flight as ticketed".

others correct me if i am wrong but i think you want to send this to mileage plus service center and not necessarily to 1K voice (though they may forward it there on your behalf).

if you claim TIV and then try to claim ORC you'll be declined. TIV will give you a refund. ORC will not.
Makes sense. I've sent a note and will report back on what they say. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Richym99
I had that happen on a round trip MR earlier this year.
Route was MCO-IAH-SEA-EWR-MCO.

MCO-IAH flight arrived late and I got to the gate 2 minutes after the door closed. The system had already rebooked md to my destination by the quickest means. that being a flight back to MCO which should have left 3 hours before but was running 4 hours late. Tickets were endorsed "carry over, carry back "

Claimed ORC which was agreed after explaining that I did not want a refund and also kept the credit for the miles flown back to MCO.
Good to know that. The 1K agent did tell me about some endorsement on the ticket, but don't know what they wrote. I'll report back on what 1K/MP says on my case.

Forgot to mention. They didn't rebook me automatically and instead dropped a segment. So my ticket lost the IAH - EWR segment as I was late for that.e updated ticket basically had all other segments except for IAH - EWR. Guess they couldn't automatically rebook me as they didn't know what I had in mind with the MR.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Imo UA would probably rather give you ORC than refund. Just my opinion though.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:09 am

I got ORC for a UA flight from GPT-TPA) that was cancelled. Was offered a DL flight, but turned it down (no bags fee waiver & junky seats). Was comped a hotel room and dinner. Flew out the next morning, flew to CLT, then EWR. Had to skip GPT-TPA-EWR, got credit for all my original flights. Otherwise, my MR of 3 flights would have dominoed.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Imo UA would probably rather give you ORC than refund. Just my opinion though.
Not in my experience.

I had a handful of unflown segments due to IRROPS, and they preferred giving me money rather than the mileage.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:31 am
mp2
Original Poster

An update to this thread: After a couple of emails to MileagePlus, I was given the ORC for the flight. All in all a success. I got the miles I wanted, I flew lesser miles BIS than I needed to and I got back a day early ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.