Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyway to know # of award seats avail on a flight?

Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA; DL;

I am very, very rusty on this board but here goes.

We are a family of 5 looking to go to fly UA EWR>GLA early Feb 2015. Hubby plans to use miles for a seat and there will be 3 tix and a lap kid. Right now there is a saver award seat available for the dates we want but I want to wait on buying the tickets to see if fares drop after the holidays. (Not a huge demand for Scotland in the dead of winter). Anyway to find out how many award tickets are available on a flight through the UA website?

-WL
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Yes - you can see the number (up to 9) in any fare class if you enable Expert Mode - threads all over here on that. But be aware that Award Inventory, as with all inventiry, comes and goes seemingly randomly and even without tickets being sold. If you see it, grab it otherwise you might miss it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Also - please read through the wiki before turning on Expert Mode/using it. The married segments aspect is very important to understand - as is X v. XN.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But be aware that Award Inventory, as with all inventiry, comes and goes seemingly randomly and even without tickets being sold.
This is important; there can be 9 reward or upgrade seats available one day and the next day, zero. This happened to me recently for ORD>NRT.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Jules

If your goal is to use a award ticket, 1 of 5, then I would book the award space as soon as it is available. The chance that the fare will go down more than 25% for midwinter EU travel vs the loss of award space is minimal, IMHE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.