Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch a second daily flight from SFO to PVG starting ??? {delayed to 14OCT16?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch a second daily flight from SFO to PVG starting ??? {delayed to 14OCT16?}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I guess the other thing to consider is that the normal return PVG-SFO flight is on the 747, and I really like the upstairs area, I can sleep well up there. the new flight is on a 777. In addition, I'll be most likely waitlisted on a GPU, so my chances are better I'm assuming on the 747 with the additional # of Biz seats?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
You raise a good point, because I prefer the 744 over 772 as well. That's why on my most recent trip to Shanghai, I took SFOPVG on the way over there and came back on the PVGLAX nonstop. I also don't care much for the 787, but the late schedule worked better for me. YMMV.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The new Air China lounge is nice and big, I think is better than any lounge UA would do, so I hope UA keeps using the AirChina lounge at PVG.
Be aware that this shiny and big Air China lounge only serves real food during traditional meal times. No real food at 10.30am!!!

I leave by 17:00 via airport bus and the trip usually takes an hour during that time.
I dont know which airport bus you are referring to, but one hour from Puxi to Pudong Airport is not so bad.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weren't they going to do SFO-CAN (Guanzhou) service at one point?

Geographically, I guess PVG makes sense (it is not just Shanghai, there are many surrounding cities) but I wonder if they will consider CAN again.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
I dont know which airport bus you are referring to, but one hour from Puxi to Pudong Airport is not so bad.
Jing-an Temple, airport bus Route 2. It's close to the expressway, so once the bus left the city streets (which were just a mess), it was smooth sailing all the way to the airport.

I now realize that when I said 1 hour travel time, I was only thinking of the airport bus and did not consider the time that may be required to get to the airport bus location. The location/route of the airport bus also matters, i.e., Shanghai Railway Station (Route 5 ?) will definitely take longer.

For PVGLAX and now the later PVGSFO flights, I suppose that as long as you get on the airport bus from any of the locations by 17:00, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by username
Weren't they going to do SFO-CAN (Guanzhou) service at one point?... I wonder if they will consider CAN again.
IMO, at this point, we'll more likely see SZX before CAN. There is good ZH/CA connectivity at SZX, and CAN can be served from PEK, PVG, etc.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
IMO, at this point, we'll more likely see SZX before CAN. There is good ZH/CA connectivity at SZX, and CAN can be served from PEK, PVG, etc.
Domestic connections in China going to PVG or PEK - and maybe everywhere else - can be very dicey, best to leave at least 4 hours minimum. (As I learned last week when my 3 hour layover in PEK was short by 30 minutes. ) My seat-mate, who was supposed to be on an earlier (canceled) flight told me that he usually tries to have at least 6 hours when going to PEK. I was traveling from HGH and at least 90% of the domestic flights were delayed, most 90 minutes or more. In perfect weather.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Jing-an Temple, airport bus Route 2. It's close to the expressway, so once the bus left the city streets (which were just a mess), it was smooth sailing all the way to the airport.

I now realize that when I said 1 hour travel time, I was only thinking of the airport bus and did not consider the time that may be required to get to the airport bus location. The location/route of the airport bus also matters, i.e., Shanghai Railway Station (Route 5 ?) will definitely take longer.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ta-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-shanghai.html

I called the bus company about #5 last month, and they told me that it no longer stops at Peoples Square.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Domestic connections in China going to PVG or PEK - and maybe everywhere else - can be very dicey, best to leave at least 4 hours minimum. (As I learned last week when my 3 hour layover in PEK was short by 30 minutes. )....
My experiences are quite limited; I've only made INTL-DOM connections on the way over to China, and I've only done this in PEK. Over last couple of years, I arrived on SFOPEK and connected to CA's flights to Taiyuan, Xian, Kunming, Chengdu, and Changsha, all of which departed around 20:00 or later, giving me about a 4-hour cushion. I experienced no delays whatsoever, which I am thankful, but perhaps that's why my views are rosier.

That said, I have so far avoided doing the DOM-INTL connection on the way back to the U.S., given the reality that delays within the Chinese airspace are HIGHLY possible, and UA's schedules that typically depart PEK and PVG around 13:00. The evening PVGLAX and soon the second PVGSFO make me feel better with doing a DOM-INTL connection, but I've not needed to do that -- yet.

Originally Posted by moondog
I called the bus company about #5 last month, and they told me that it no longer stops at Peoples Square.
IIRC the trip between PVG and Shanghai Rwy Sta used to take 1 hour 30 minutes. I now see it posted as 80 minutes. Perhaps that already takes into account the new route that skips People's Square?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:30 pm

delayed launch of the second flight?

was searching for a trip in late may and did not see the second flight to PVG from SFO. is the launch delayed?

(it was available when i casually browsed for flights last month for the same period)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by myperks
was searching for a trip in late may and did not see the second flight to PVG from SFO. is the launch delayed?

(it was available when i casually browsed for flights last month for the same period)
It's only a tweet, but from someone who knows what they're talking about ( https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/580399774668627969 ): possibly delayed to July 15.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
It's only a tweet, but from someone who knows what they're talking about ( https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/580399774668627969 ): possibly delayed to July 15.
i wonder if there were any FTers that already booked before July 15 that got reroutes or back to the original SFO to PVG flight.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH, DL
No reroutes yet

I have confirmed tickets for UA 891 to PVG early June.
When I saw flight no longer being sold, called Customer Service.
I was told "flight is full" which is doubtful given what the seatmap looked like when I bought the tickets just earlier this week and what current seatmap on "my reservations" looks like

Not surprising that one flight is not being sold, given how many empty seats on both flights from SFO during this time period.

Any idea when I might hear back about new routing? Travelling with family, bought E+, and would like to travel together. I rarely travel on UA, from what I have read on forum, UA CS not very help
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
I don't see the second flight available for sale until July 2nd now.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
I was told "flight is full" which is doubtful given what the seatmap looked like when I bought the tickets just earlier this week and what current seatmap on "my reservations" looks like
Flight is full prob means they've zero'd out inventory, so it would appear to CS as full.

Prepare to get rerouted in 3...2...1...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: CO
Same here. I have UA890 booked in early May. Did not receive any notice of the change from UA.

Originally Posted by GMTmin8
I have confirmed tickets for UA 891 to PVG early June.
When I saw flight no longer being sold, called Customer Service.

Not surprising that one flight is not being sold, given how many empty seats on both flights from SFO during this time period.

Any idea when I might hear back about new routing? Travelling with family, bought E+, and would like to travel together. I rarely travel on UA, from what I have read on forum, UA CS not very help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.