Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by geo979
Is that $6,141 in actual spend or PQD? If it's PQD, I made it for less. If it's actual spend you win.
You win. But really we both win ^ thanks to PQD waivers—something seemingly forgotten here in this depot of derision and dread.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
And that's exactly how they want the gpus to be spent, moving you with a smile on your face from seats they sometimes sell to seats they can't sell. What they don't want is low rollers like myself clogging up their bf oasis with my w class fares and barely adequate pqd.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Why not just get rid of the low value members.
They are. Or, more pointedly, United is choosing to not reward them as much.
Originally Posted by zebranz
I will try to "inundate" them less.....
My next biz class European booking is with Delta.
Indeed, you've shown them. By switching to another carrier which has virtually identical policies.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The tweet appears to be pretty much just a shorted version from UA posted yesterday
Originally Posted by Boghopper
However, over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
There is support for this in many FT threads; too many elites, those paying for premium cabins wanted better and therefore few premium cabin seats (no 2-4-2), last minute HVF losing out to upgraders, .... While those may not be the opinions of all, there is no shortage of those feeling if all are elites, no one is an elite.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/inundate

It's generally not seen as a flattering description

I struggle to think of many companies who make a public statement that they are "inundated" with customers, in a negative sense
This should put an end to the debate about Rainey's too many over-entitled elites comment and what he meant when he said it.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
To be fair, after all the whining I might have done about the initial PQD requirement, it wound up making zero difference to my travel patterns--I never bought a more expensive fare thinking it would help, and I'll finish the year with a bigger surplus in PQDs than PQMs. But the communication of this has been lame, with zero attempt to offer any offsetting benefit.

(One thing the PQD requirement has been exceedingly effective at: Making it plain how much money I throw at this airline. Looking at that number can be embarrassing sometimes...)
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

I think we all agree there are too many elites. The problem is, however, that their record doesn't match their rhetoric. If overall loyalty was of utmost importance, TODs would not exist.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:58 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
While I realize they act as the face of UA on Twitter, I believe the people that work it are clerks. They may be in an official UA capacity on there but they (afaik) are far from the few people titled as "official UA spokespersons"

That said, when replying as "United" in a job function, tact is something to be practiced.

Last edited by fastair; Nov 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I struggle to think of many companies who make a public statement that they are "inundated" with customers, in a negative sense
^^^^

They can't C7 fast enough.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA writer
To be fair, after all the whining I might have done about the initial PQD requirement, it wound up making zero difference to my travel patterns--I never bought a more expensive fare thinking it would help, and I'll finish the year with a bigger surplus in PQDs than PQMs. But the communication of this has been lame, with zero attempt to offer any offsetting benefit.
I had less travel than usual this year--though that's partly due to UA's horrid reliability for me this year. I didn't miss going an entire quarter without setting foot on one of their planes, nor did I miss flying *A partners a few times after that.

What that meant is that to hit PQD targets, I did buy discounted F a couple of times instead of discounted Y, but to be fair, had I flown my usual patterns, I'd have just flown more discounted Y and still made the PQD targets.

Next year will be interesting. I already have about $5k booked for the first half of the year, but all of that was before the announcement.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RNE
Most folks aren't shooting for 1K. I made Platinum with $6,141 spend. Couldn't have done that without a PQD waiver. Millions of us benefit from PQD waivers of one sort or another. For us, it's still 2013; mileage runs and error fares are our ambrosia.
Millions of us? Millions of MP members, yes. Maybe a million 2Ps after the merger. But Plats & potential 1Ks affected by waivers, or lack thereof... don't think that's in the millions.

Hmm. OK, re-reading your post, you would be including 2Ps and 1Ps as well, so technically millions could be affected by using waivers, but I doubt that even 1/4 of 2Ps & 1Ps can hit the CC spend. If 1/4th of your income was spent on MP CCs, and the waiver figure is $35,000... you're talking fairly elusive territory. I think.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'd say your flight examples would be in the minority of occurrences...far, far more likely to see F full on UA (and an UG list of 20/40/60+) and AA with empty seats in F.

I find UA and AA to be anything but indistinguishable, personally.
I agree with both you guys on this. I also fly UA and AA alot and it's more likely to see empty FC seats on AA, but there's not a lot to choose between them in terms of the flight experience.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I guess when times are good one can afford to run an airline on OPM high "spenders" and once-a-year pay-per-bag kettles. Anyone in between doesnt matter.

At least they didnt take the Air Canada route where last month their FT rep stated that "we are not a chairty" and said that upgraded elites cheapen the front cabin @:-) It could be worse UA flyers :P
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think the culprits are the status gifts to corporate clients (to lure/maintain) passed on to travelers who don't come close to the flying requirements.
Culprits of what? A gifted GS/1K that rarely flies is cheap to maintain compared to a GS/1K who flies a lot, especially if you offset that against overall contract revenue.

No proof, but I think there's more of those 1K than there are .05/mile 1Ks.
Even if there are more, cutting the number of them wouldn't have nearly the impact of cutting the benefits given to high-status/low margin fliers.

United is deciding that they don't want the expense of giving 1K benefits to somemone who flies over 100k a year but spends less than $12k doing it.

In fact, they probably like it much less for someone who flies 150k and is still under $12k as opposed to someone who flies 100k and comes up short - 50k more miles worth of 1K expenses for no more revenue.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Only then when no one will even pay TOD for it will it go into the bucket for free upgrade. We have a bunch of AA/DL this weekend, and its so weird to see the F cabin empty on the AA flights. They will not give it away for free, and I'm assuming that for these short 2hr hops, people don't want to use certs.
Isn't cheaper F seats than any other airline its own benefit, if not an elite one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.