Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Just as I and most (but not all) anticipated: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-follow.html. This probably won't impact me but the continued copying of Delta's mileage program, and lack of innovation, is really pitiful.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
Given the increased challenge to hit these thresholds are there going to be any enhanced benefits? Seems a bit off to continue to raise requirements without enhancing any of the benefits...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by entropy
...United is failing to address what they want: reliability and speed....

United is failing miserably on these items, while their major competitors are doing better...
Only a couple of percentage points separate the 3....
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
While my response will not be the norm on this board, I am absolutely fine with this change. Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
I'm ok with it too but only because I far exceed the 10k threshold. That being said, I'm not at all convinced that thinning the ranks will provide any appreciable value as long as they keep selling cheap upgrades out from under me.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, tho my plans had been to reach only Plt in 2015, I was wondering how I would feel about giving up 1K. I had even begun strategies for reaching 1K next year. I am totally leisure, on my own dime traveler. I've got the magical Presidential Card, so I don't have to worry about spend for Plt. I think it will Plt for 2016 and then just Gold beyond that. (I'm less than 10k short of 1MM right now. I'm just praying they don't change that for next year and beyond.)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by travel.flier
you're still flying UA, so it seems that UA made the correct choice.
Deceitful behavior is always a "choice" and is often used to manipulate and gain advantage. Doesn't make it right, and it is not the kind of "choice" a ethical company should make.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by playbbg
Given the increased challenge to hit these thresholds are there going to be any enhanced benefits? Seems a bit off to continue to raise requirements without enhancing any of the benefits...
One of the primary benefits for many people will be to try out other airlines
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
One of the primary benefits for many people will be to try out other airlines
^

well played.

at least United isn't trying to pass this off as an enhancement of program exclusivity as DL did.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
^

well played.

at least United isn't trying to pass this off as an enhancement of program exclusivity as DL did.
LOL - Let's wait for the announcement...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Only a couple of percentage points separate the 3....
So far their strategy of courting the big spenders (mostly through corporate contracts I'd guess . . . hard to understand how anybody would spend their own money on premium class on UA compared to competitors) and then shaking the nickels out of the kettles seems to be working more or less.

It's their prerogative to change their program, but the way they've done it is terrible. They know full well that this is a material change to the program and that we books travel months in advance, and don't care.

Maybe "low rollers" like me, who fly a lot but not on expensive tickets, will become orphans. It looks like AA wants us at the moment, but that could of course change.

Last edited by Boghopper; Nov 13, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I don't envy the social media team at UA, haha
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:10 pm
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
More and more my wife and I have been booking F for a variety of reasons ... we're getting older, we are fortunate to be able to afford it, we can't count on RPUs or CPUs, etc. We still can rely on GPUs given our flexibility in our longest haul flights to Asia/Australia. The PQD change doesn't directly affect us.

Of course one of the great perks of a FF program is sitting in F (actually bedding down in F or BF) but not paying for it. If we get to the point that the GPUs are too difficult to redeem, and we're already paying for F everywhere else, we certainly will give up United and will instead fly the world's best airlines. I'm certainly not going to pay BF prices on United to fly to Asia, when I could fly Singapore or Cathay or Emirates for about the same price ...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
I've got the magical Presidential Card, so I don't have to worry about spend for Plt.
Hopefully they don't change the waiver. I guess I'll be Plat for 2015 as well.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
for me, the most ironic thing about PQD is that it has driven a substantial fraction of my business to AS, where i am paying higher average fares than i would pay on the same routes at UA.

however, because AS isn't repeatedly and endlessly drawing my attention to what i am spending and how it relates to my elite status, i don't focus on what i'm spending. i buy tickets, i fly them, and i earn status in a very predictable and repeatable fashion. i get my status, get upgraded regularly, and AS makes money.

of course, my status on DL is subject to the same PQD issues as UA, but at least i see the value proposition in significant recent hard and soft product improvements, repeatably good service, and F fares that have a reasonable price/value ratio.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
It would be interesting to find out how the 2014 PQD levels affected the number of people qualifying at each level. I guess we won't know that until the end of the year, but my initial guess is that UA saw a lot of current 1Ks spending more in 2014 than they might otherwise have spent to maintain their status, and now want to test how much more they can squeeze out of those people.

It will also be interesting to hear how the new targets affected behavior in 2014 and how it might affect 2015 behavior. I had no problem hitting $10K this year to keep my 1K status, but I will not hit $12K. In fact, I booked some upcoming flights at the end of the year on another airline because there was no incentive for me to fly UA after hitting the PQM and PQD targets.

To be candid, I don't really get enough out of my 1K status to justify the increased spending, and am unlikely to worry about it for 2105.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.