Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I'm new to the flying world (only one year), so I don't know the glory days that people here refer to.

I do see traits representing an oligopoly, though, and that's a problem IMO. Hopefully the market will respond.

Me personally, I reached 12k PQD at ~80k PQM. I don't believe for a second that this change is good for me, though.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
AA has shown no inclination to date to pursue spend thresholds. It will be interesting to see how their program performs vis-a-vis DL and UA's over the next couple of years if they keep it that way.
But how much of that is a function of a truly different philosophy/strategy around their program, and how much of that is just driven by the timing of the US integration? It seems more than reasonable that AA is actively modeling different FF program options, including what DL/UA are doing, but just are not able to enact something appreciably different until they stabilize the merger with US.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
AA has shown no inclination to date to pursue spend thresholds. It will be interesting to see how their program performs vis-a-vis DL and UA's over the next couple of years if they keep it that way.
I doubt that's because they don't want to do it. They'll complete at least some of the IT integration and then start a move in the same direction.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
But how much of that is a function of a truly different philosophy/strategy around their program, and how much of that is just driven by the timing of the US integration? It seems more than reasonable that AA is actively modeling different FF program options, including what DL/UA are doing, but just are not able to enact something appreciably different until they stabilize the merger with US.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

They already are seeing pushback from elites from bringing US service levels in domestic F up, AA's down, and the difficult stuff (systems integration and operations) is still ahead of them (they need to avoid a UA-style ongoing trainwreck that sends elites heading for the exits). Blowing up the current program for revenue-based qualification would be the cherry on top of a manure sundae if they botch the operational merger. AA is going to wait until the dust settles from the merger (and from DL/UA's implementations) before doing anything. Pretty smart of them, I think.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I doubt that's because they don't want to do it. They'll complete at least some of the IT integration and then start a move in the same direction.
I would tend to agree, but it is going to take AA at least 3 years to get their IT integrated at the rate they are going (maybe more). But they have the time to compare and see how their profits compare against DL and UA.

DL is likely a better benchmark to compare against - since AA is headed in the direction of offering a more premium cabin than UA and DL is investing in making improvements.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The wistful hope that if UA just culls the elite ranks enough, those left will enjoy some kind of airborne Valhalla and be lavished with perks and rewards, is a sad fantasy. Across the board, UA is seeing how low they can go and still hang on to some loyalists. This management has no record of going any extra miles for HVFs.
Status has become quite meaningless for the crowd they say they want to attract. The people paying high dollar either have no option, or are paying for business class.

For people who don't care what they pay, United is failing to address what they want: reliability and speed. I want to get to the airport as late as possible, not wait in lines, and not have controllable delays. In the event that things go to pot, I want them to get me where I'm going without a song and dance and/or waiting an hour for the agent to figure out how to get the system to re-issue a ticket. A quality onboard and lounge product that reflects the atmosphere and spend that they seek to cultivate would require some thought and investment.

United is failing miserably on these items, while their major competitors are doing better.
Look at the DL lounge product in JFK vs. CO @ EWR, or their (Both new) Seattle facilities. Sure, maybe bocastephen wouldn't like the non-shrinkwrapped soup, salads, cookies, vegetables, but most people who don't want to eat uber processed junk foods do. f
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cova
I would tend to agree, but it is going to take AA at least 3 years to get their IT integrated at the rate they are going (maybe more). But they have the time to compare and see how their profits compare against DL and UA.
AA claims it will have a Single Operating Certificate and a single reservation system in place before year end 2015. If so, watch what it announces a year from now for 2016 elite program features.

IMHO, AA doesn't really need to model how this plays out. UA copied DL, and it worked out well enough for DL (and today UA) in year 1 to raise the spend requirements.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I don't know; AA may continue to want to present themselves as an alternative to the DL/UA of the US market. I don't think we can just assume that because UA and DL have done something that AA is inevitably going to follow. They'll do so if they judge it in their interests--but as I said, they may weigh being an alternative as more valuable.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by entropy
Status has become quite meaningless for the crowd they say they want to attract. The people paying high dollar either have no option, or are paying for business class.

For people who don't care what they pay, United is failing to address what they want: reliability and speed. I want to get to the airport as late as possible, not wait in lines, and not have controllable delays. In the event that things go to pot, I want them to get me where I'm going without a song and dance and/or waiting an hour for the agent to figure out how to get the system to re-issue a ticket. A quality onboard and lounge product that reflects the atmosphere and spend that they seek to cultivate would require some thought and investment.

United is failing miserably on these items, while their major competitors are doing better.
Look at the DL lounge product in JFK vs. CO @ EWR, or their (Both new) Seattle facilities.
exceptionally well said.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by chavala
Where is UA Insider? Hello? This should have been announced. I have trips booked well into 2015, it would have been nice to have a heads up.
This is sleazy, announcing it (assuming they even bother) at the end of the year when many of us have already booked travel. If I had known this a couple of months ago I would have been on my way to AA. But perhaps they know that would be the reaction . . . UA just keeps sinking lower and lower.

I'll be they looked at the numbers and decided too many 1Ks were requalifying, and also their heroes DL already did it so why now?

Last edited by Boghopper; Nov 13, 2014 at 11:46 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Thats most likely because they are still working out how to merge the two FF programs. UA did not add the PQD until they got a single FF program in place, but it sure followed pretty quick.

I would not be surprised to see AA add $$ for 2016 qualification.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by chavala
Where is UA Insider? Hello? This should have been announced. I have trips booked well into 2015, it would have been nice to have a heads up.
There's really no way to spin this off as a positive, so I don't think UA Insider would even try to notify us/sell us on this (unlike how they tried to spin all the LAX changes as positive), unlike the AC reps that openly admitted that the change in their elite qualification was not something that wouldn't cause people to be unhappy
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: United 1K
First, has UAInsider given us the first announcement of any change lately - it seems we've figured it out well before him. My bet is its not his fault but says a lot about the opinion of management about people who tend to fly with them.

While I agree that the $12K isn't such a terrible thing (I'm around $18K for the year - although I moved every penny of international to direct payment to foreign carriers for international flights after $10k). The bigger issue - there are more restrictions and challenges for us but not a single enhancement or perk we can count on. In fact, I'd say that the kettles sitting in economy have been enjoying more enhancements that those of us who pay either in cash or in upgrade (points, certificates, etc) to sit at the pointy end of the plane.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Boghopper
This is sleazy, announcing it (assuming they even bother) at the end of the year when many of us have already booked travel. If I had known this a couple of months ago I would have been on my way to AA. But perhaps they know that would be the reaction . . . UA just keeps sinking lower and lower.
you're still flying UA, so it seems that UA made the correct choice.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:45 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

MileagePlus Premier qualification requirements for 2016 status

Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.