Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Most egregious carry-on abuse case I've ever seen on a UA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most egregious carry-on abuse case I've ever seen on a UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
This makes sense.

Is it also objectionable to F passengers to have Y pax carryons placed in remaining empty bin space once all F pax have put their stuff there?
I wouldn't mind, but only if it was the FA doing it after the door closes - an F pax who chooses not to board first should still get their bin space. I wish it made more sense from them to close the F bins after initial boarding of F pax. It shouldn't be too hard for the front cabin FA to identify late F pax and assist them with their bags. (Or hey, lock the bins and board F last.) But it seems reasonable to put Y bags in otherwise empty space if the alternative is gate checking them.

Originally Posted by n198ua
Years ago I was first to board in F on a 735 ORD-DSM; when Y starts boarding the first on put his large coat, two bags, and a computer case in a free F bin. The FA sees this and pulls everything out but then waits for the flight to finish boarding; after everyone was seated and there was no bin space she called him up and made him gate check the bags.
Amazing
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Due to tight connections and de-icing I was a late boarder on 4 of my 6 flights this week and in each case, F bins were full and I had to put my bag back in Y. I was happy there was open bin space to avoid gate checking but I wondered how many of the bags in F were Y pax.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Once, boarding a UA mainline flight (in F) a FA asked me, "Why do you first class passengers board so early?"

I replied, "If you guys protected the F overhead space we wouldn't have to."
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
I wouldn't mind, but only if it was the FA doing it after the door closes - an F pax who chooses not to board first should still get their bin space.
Definitely understand that . . . wasn't clear to me whether people also objected to use of decisively available F bin space (not that you necessarily represent everyone).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Billiken
Once, boarding a UA mainline flight (in F) a FA asked me, "Why do you first class passengers board so early?"

This. x1000.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard
I love it when people knowingly bring on more than the allotted 1 + 1 because they claim that the additional piece is highly valuable. I understand that, but I've traveled with remote sensing equipment and other pieces of equipment that can fit into a suitcase (primarily Pelican cases), and I've made the conscious decision to forgo bringing my suitcase with my clothes on board as a carry-on bag (I would check it at the ticket counter). I would do this because I would rather have my equipment ready to go so I can get to work than having all of my clothes, but no equipment. And yes, it is a hassle to have to go to a store and get clothes when checked baggage is delayed, but it is far less of a hassle then having to source specialized equipment.
Yes, I've done this, too. For some equipment we just buy an extra seat and either belt it in or put it under the seat in front of the empty one.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Yes, I've done this, too. For some equipment we just buy an extra seat and either belt it in or put it under the seat in front of the empty one.
Luckily, when I have had to consider buying a second seat for equipment, I was on a light PVD-MCO on WN, during an off-peak time, so the GA allowed me to board and keep the equipment in the seat.

At the end of the day, it comes down to choices...and I would rather wear the same clothes again and work instead of waiting.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000.
Just copy the relevant section reserving bins for First class passengers from the conditions of carriage. Take it with you.

Works every time.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Billiken

^^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My favorite are the days when I'm the first passenger to board, yet the entire F bins are packed to the gills with Crew bags. On more than one occasion I was in the first few to board and had to schlep from 1B to row 7 to find overhead space.

Which brings me to the topic of Bulkhead seats. Bulkhead seats should get special reserved overhead space since you are forced to use the space even for your personal item.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
My favorite are the days when I'm the first passenger to board, yet the entire F bins are packed to the gills with Crew bags. On more than one occasion I was in the first few to board and had to schlep from 1B to row 7 to find overhead space.

Which brings me to the topic of Bulkhead seats. Bulkhead seats should get special reserved overhead space since you are forced to use the space even for your personal item.
I don't mind being the ....... in a group, but if I am in a bulkhead row, I march my happy butt right to the front of the line and wait, (I don't cut in line, I mean I start the line) even if it is 15 min before boarding. I am typically followed by lemmings, but I pay no mind. Bulkhead seats are great except the bin space for personal item sucks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:04 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Merchandise purchased at the airport can include suitcases, laptop bags...
The CoC places limits on carrying on stuff you buy in the airport. You can still get denied:

Originally Posted by CoC
(x) A limited amount of Airport Duty Free items, merchandise purchased in the airport, or food. These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
Regardless, UA reserves itself the right to be the ultimate decider of what happens to carry-on baggage, though I agree that F space ought to be protected vigilantly by all FAs:

Originally Posted by CoC
b) UA reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to determine the suitability and place of storage of any items to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft.

c) UA reserves the right to check a Passenger’s Carry-on Baggage for any reason, including if the Carry-on Baggage cannot be safely stowed, or the Carry-on Baggage is not compliant with the Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions specified in section 2) above.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Just copy the relevant section reserving bins for First class passengers from the conditions of carriage. Take it with you.

Works every time.
Huh?

The only applicable rule I see is

23-B-2-b:

UA reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to determine the suitability and place of storage of any items to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard
Luckily, when I have had to consider buying a second seat for equipment, I was on a light PVD-MCO on WN, during an off-peak time, so the GA allowed me to board and keep the equipment in the seat.

At the end of the day, it comes down to choices...and I would rather wear the same clothes again and work instead of waiting.
We usually only do the second seat thing for high value, one of a kind (or maybe one of 2) items that would hang up a large project if they go missing. Losing a few days of clothes or having them delayed would be insignificant by comparison.

This spring we took a one of a kind instrument to Greenland and carried it in the cabin all the way out, since flights from Iceland to Greenland were only a couple days a week and we'd have lost the whole trip without the instrument. It was designed to be carry-on compliant so we could do that. They sell a lot of nice warm clothes there if the airline loses yours. On the way back I just stuck it in a samsonite with clothes and didn't worry about it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I sit at the bulkhead a lot and occasionally there will be an FA there protecting them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.