Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Most egregious carry-on abuse case I've ever seen on a UA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most egregious carry-on abuse case I've ever seen on a UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Originally Posted by limey1K
I've seen a couple of bad ones recently too.

73X , I'm sitting in F and overheads are pretty full by the time the last F passenger is boarding behind the BG5 people. BG5 guy sees a space over 3B and stashes his roller-board and walks towards the back. Guy two people behind him say "Sir, sir, please can you get your bag out from that overhead because that's where I'm sitting and its the last space in FC". BG5 guys looks back and keeps walking, so the F passenger asks the FA to move BG5's bag somewhere else. She tells him "Its against the rules for us to move a passengers bag", to which he laughs and says "I see you move bags all the time, that's a ridiculous statement".
I had this happen to me once. i didnt say anything, just quietly pulled his back out and put it in the aisle just outside fo FC, next to the bulkhead so others could get through. then later then the GA asked whose it was, i kept quiet until they realised it was the b5 who never should have put it there in the first place.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Merchandise purchased at the airport can include suitcases, laptop bags...
United reserves the right to require items to be checked at their discretion, in case one us thinking of trying to use the merchandise rule to carryon an extra bag.

I didn't say me. I said "some." But for those who don't understand... well, maybe the problem isn't "over-entitled elites," maybe the problem is elitism or at least a complete disconnect from the reality that many face.
I didn't mean you, either. But if you are taking the position that bag check fees make air travel unaffordable for some, that's ridiculous.
Average airfares are down >80 USd from period prior to 9-11, so overall air travel+fees costs are lower now than before.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I'm a bit late to this party - but, I would have ratted him out. I suspect that the FA was more concerned about on time departure than making a fuss about the other bag.

I've been on 14 flights since last Friday. Not once did anyone mention anything about bag size (that I heard).

Today after clearing customs in ORD, I was asked to consolidate my tiny cross body purse into one of my other bags since I'm only permitted two. It was no problem for me, but comical when you consider the size of plastic duty free bags that were allowed through as a 3rd bag.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by xox
Just out of curiosity, if you board last (as in your example), how would you know whose bags in the F bins are from Y passengers and whose are from F passengers? Do you start canvassing? Do the F bags have some special glow? If you booked a tight connection and board last, presumably you would expect to find bins full.

I don't see that you have the right to ask the FA or another passenger to move out luggage to accommodate you, since UA has a first come, first served policy with respect to the overhead bins. Hence the boarding scrum.

I agree that it would be reasonable for United (or any airline) to reserve F overhead bins for F customers. But until they announce and institute that rule/policy, I don't see that you have a right to bump someone else's luggage.
If one were the last to board after all others were seated, clearly they would be unable to easily identify a Y bag in F. No I would not canvass bags, lol.

Poster # 2's example stated that the Y passenger was observed in this case, and specifically ignored a polite request to find space elsewhere. I agree with your statement about this action not being a 'right'. My point was that it is a courtesy that has been afforded to F passengers by FA's and if push came to shove I would make a case for the FA to observe that courtesy but I would not call the FA out on it themselves as they would have to deal with the passenger I upset. Some FA's would be happy to, while others not so much so I would call the passenger out, in turn calling on that FA courtesy if there is truly no more space on the aircraft. Chance are though, in this case there is more space but the Y pass in question chose to take the first visible spot. Also, returning a bag to the Y pass would only occur after identifying if some gentle rearranging would create enough room and then asking FA if closet space was available, so only as a last resort. Personally I don't everyone to agree with me act the same as I would, as we are all different. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Blue
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Having robot/cookie cutter employees is antithetical to American values of individuality. Do you really want an aircraft of mini-Jeffs?
I celebrate individuality - but not when working in a service business. That's why we have uniforms and standards, so yes, I do really want an aircraft of (not mini Jeffs, no) staff following identical standards that are clearly understood by staff, management and customers.

When off the job, people can be as individual as they want.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
I'm a bit late to this party - but, I would have ratted him out. I suspect that the FA was more concerned about on time departure than making a fuss about the other bag.

I've been on 14 flights since last Friday. Not once did anyone mention anything about bag size (that I heard).

Today after clearing customs in ORD, I was asked to consolidate my tiny cross body purse into one of my other bags since I'm only permitted two. It was no problem for me, but comical when you consider the size of plastic duty free bags that were allowed through as a 3rd bag.
Illogical from the size argument, but logical when one considers there is a stated exemption for duty free materials from the personal item count.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by limey1K
I've seen a couple of bad ones recently too.

73X , I'm sitting in F and overheads are pretty full by the time the last F passenger is boarding behind the BG5 people. BG5 guy sees a space over 3B and stashes his roller-board and walks towards the back. Guy two people behind him say "Sir, sir, please can you get your bag out from that overhead because that's where I'm sitting and its the last space in FC". BG5 guys looks back and keeps walking, so the F passenger asks the FA to move BG5's bag somewhere else. She tells him "Its against the rules for us to move a passengers bag", to which he laughs and says "I see you move bags all the time, that's a ridiculous statement". Steely eyed stare from FA who suggests he look for space in the back and, if none is available, she'll see if it will fit in the closet. Another passenger in F volunteered to put their briefcase under the seat, so problem solved itself, no thanks to the FA. The guy was seriously annoyed and commiserated with the passenger next to him about how far UA has fallen of late.

The other recent one was a 22" roller-board, wheeled "briefcase" stacked on top and a backpack over the shoulder. Guy stowed all three in the overhead bin right in front of the FA who apparently couldn't have cared less.
Some people here on FT like to make fun of gate lice, but what is described above is exactly why I no longer sit in the UC or Vino Volo until just before I board like I used to. Even though I've used an instrument for UG or paid for F, if I wait to board, I run the chance of not having room for my carry on.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sh76us
Would you have ratted the guy out or is it none of my business?
This falls squarely in my personal policy of be nice to people until you encounter someone who abuses that system, and then all bets are off.

I absolutely would have ratted them out.

If I'm in F and I know someone from Y has stashed bags there and an F passenger comes on and there is no space for their bag, and no one else will move those bags, I'll take them out of the bin myself.

.......s go through life relying on other people not wanting to say no. So if you let someone be an ....... without saying anything, the only person to blame when someone else is an ....... is you.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:09 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Old thread, but it was the only one which popped up meeting my search criteria about bin poaching which wasn't devoted to an entirely different topic (e.g. boarding kids early, etc.).

Anyway, got to the gate today and UA had fortunately not started boarding too early; it was ~2 minutes past the scheduled start (by the time on the monitor), thanks to Pre being swamped this morning at IAD. They were about 3/4 of the way through Group 2 boarding. The F bins were already full with the exception of one slot.

A couple about 6 people ahead of us in the line to board stopped, crammed their coat and big shopping bag into the bin, and then headed back into Y.

If I'd been right behind them, I'd have stopped them and complained. I almost took the items out and set them in the aisle, but instead, I just crammed my wife's rollaboard on top of their shopping bag.

Several more Y pax stopped and opened F bins to try to cram items in. Boarding was only to Group 2 by that point, FWIW.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I love it when people knowingly bring on more than the allotted 1 + 1 because they claim that the additional piece is highly valuable. I understand that, but I've traveled with remote sensing equipment and other pieces of equipment that can fit into a suitcase (primarily Pelican cases), and I've made the conscious decision to forgo bringing my suitcase with my clothes on board as a carry-on bag (I would check it at the ticket counter). I would do this because I would rather have my equipment ready to go so I can get to work than having all of my clothes, but no equipment. And yes, it is a hassle to have to go to a store and get clothes when checked baggage is delayed, but it is far less of a hassle then having to source specialized equipment.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
I love it when people knowingly bring on more than the allotted 1 + 1 because they claim that the additional piece is highly valuable. I understand that, but I've traveled with remote sensing equipment and other pieces of equipment that can fit into a suitcase (primarily Pelican cases), and I've made the conscious decision to forgo bringing my suitcase with my clothes on board as a carry-on bag (I would check it at the ticket counter). I would do this because I would rather have my equipment ready to go so I can get to work than having all of my clothes, but no equipment. And yes, it is a hassle to have to go to a store and get clothes when checked baggage is delayed, but it is far less of a hassle then having to source specialized equipment.
+1

I saw a guy on a LH flight one time with a rollaboard, 2 backpacks, and a guitar. And LH said nothing to him.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
If You Can't Lift the Carry-on Over Your Head.....

I will always help other pax (elderly, weak, vertically challenged) needing help getting a bag into the overhead...unless they have more than 2 items.

However, my family travel rule (one of many ) is this:

If you can't lift the carry-on over your head, then it's NOT a carry-on.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Years ago I was first to board in F on a 735 ORD-DSM; when Y starts boarding the first on put his large coat, two bags, and a computer case in a free F bin. The FA sees this and pulls everything out but then waits for the flight to finish boarding; after everyone was seated and there was no bin space she called him up and made him gate check the bags.

Originally Posted by exerda
Old thread, but it was the only one which popped up meeting my search criteria about bin poaching which wasn't devoted to an entirely different topic (e.g. boarding kids early, etc.).

Anyway, got to the gate today and UA had fortunately not started boarding too early; it was ~2 minutes past the scheduled start (by the time on the monitor), thanks to Pre being swamped this morning at IAD. They were about 3/4 of the way through Group 2 boarding. The F bins were already full with the exception of one slot.

A couple about 6 people ahead of us in the line to board stopped, crammed their coat and big shopping bag into the bin, and then headed back into Y.

If I'd been right behind them, I'd have stopped them and complained. I almost took the items out and set them in the aisle, but instead, I just crammed my wife's rollaboard on top of their shopping bag.

Several more Y pax stopped and opened F bins to try to cram items in. Boarding was only to Group 2 by that point, FWIW.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:00 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by n198ua
Years ago I was first to board in F on a 735 ORD-DSM; when Y starts boarding the first on put his large coat, two bags, and a computer case in a free F bin. The FA sees this and pulls everything out but then waits for the flight to finish boarding; after everyone was seated and there was no bin space she called him up and made him gate check the bags.
Amazing; wish ever FA did that. It'd be a great policy, because it's enough of a punishment that it'll teach people a lesson.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by n198ua
This makes sense.

Is it also objectionable to F passengers to have Y pax carryons placed in remaining empty bin space once all F pax have put their stuff there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.