Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA EWR to IAD then DCA-ORD-LAN Need Help with Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Platinum,Etihad Gold

I found after several days of my booking that i will be doing EWR-IAD and then DCA-ORD-LAN instead of IAD-ORD-LAN.

I heard that the Commute can be a hasstle from IAD to DCA and in peak hours can be aweful and grinding.

Can i ask the customer service in IAD to change my flights from DCA to IAD and for that will there be any same day fees as i m platinum? or whats the best option to commute from IAD to DCA?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wwwwww717
I found after several days of my booking that i will be doing EWR-IAD and then DCA-ORD-LAN instead of IAD-ORD-LAN.
I'm perplexed as to how this occurred: Did you book the ticket yourself and you didn't check the details? Did someone else book and again you didn't check the details?
It sounds like you are beyond the 24-hour window to cancel the ticket and start again?
You could wait until much closer to departure and see what options are available for SDC.
As to IAD>DCA travel ... it's situation-dependent: time of day, day of week etc
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...ca-timing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...ce-please.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...-airports.html
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I'm perplexed as to how this occurred: Did you book the ticket yourself and you didn't check the details? Did someone else book and again you didn't check the details?
It sounds like you are beyond the 24-hour window to cancel the ticket and start again?
You could wait until much closer to departure and see what options are available for SDC.
As to IAD>DCA travel ... it's situation-dependent: time of day, day of week etc
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...ca-timing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...ce-please.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...-airports.html
I think it was my mistake as i didnt concentrate when booking. So will wait till SDC can be done.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
SDC usually can't be used to switch airports.

How long is your connection? What time? What day of the week? Travel between the two airports is a little cumbersome, but it can be done given enough time and/or money.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Travel between the two airports is a little cumbersome, but it can be done given enough time and/or money.
Taxi will take about an hour and around $75.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by BearX220
Taxi will take about an hour and around $75.
IF during rush hour times best to figure 90 minutes. (or even a tiny bit more - if not TSA Pre-Check)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You can ask at EWR to stand by for EWR-DCA.

You can also at IAD ask to go IAD-ORD instead of DCA-ORD, again via standby.

Or, you could ask at EWR to stand by or do a same-day change to EWR-ORD-LAN, and just skip WAS altogether. I presume you booked the WAS leg for a reason, though?

Getting between the two airports can be a pain. The difficulty is I-66, which can be a standstill on the stretch from near DC to the ramp to VA-267 (the Dulles access road).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by exerda

Or, you could ask at EWR to stand by or do a same-day change to EWR-ORD-LAN, and just skip WAS altogether. I presume you booked the WAS leg for a reason, though?

Getting between the two airports can be a pain. The difficulty is I-66, which can be a standstill on the stretch from near DC to the ramp to VA-267 (the Dulles access road).
I-66 is why I asked how much time is involved, and when. If there's enough time, OP can use the Metro's Blue and Silver lines, plus a bus or shorter taxi ride, to get between DCA and IAD at a fraction of the cost of a taxi ride the whole way.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I m doing a segment run. So will have to include iad or dca as part of my travel.

More over same day airport change is allowed?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I-66 is why I asked how much time is involved, and when. If there's enough time, OP can use the Metro's Blue and Silver lines, plus a bus or shorter taxi ride, to get between DCA and IAD at a fraction of the cost of a taxi ride the whole way.
OP is going IAD to DCA. The toll road from IAD should be fine until I-66, which could be bad depending on time of day. If it's tight, OP could at that point switch to metro at East Falls Church, although I suspect that will be no faster than sticking with taxi.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wwwwww717
I m doing a segment run. So will have to include iad or dca as part of my travel.

More over same day airport change is allowed?
Same day change is not permitted for different airports, but standby is when standing by to a multi-airport city unless the fare rules say differently.

Either way, you should be able to find a sympathetic agent who will book you one of the routes I suggested to avoid having to go between IAD and DCA.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA1K
depending on how long your layover is...you can take the bus to the wiehle ave metro station and then take metro to DCA. much much cheaper going that way.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Some people might even rent a car if they had enough time; less than a taxi.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Same day change is not permitted for different airports, but standby is when standing by to a multi-airport city unless the fare rules say differently.

Either way, you should be able to find a sympathetic agent who will book you one of the routes I suggested to avoid having to go between IAD and DCA.
This is not an airport switch, though it looks deceptively like one. @:-)

All of the rules that us SDC lovers throw around about changing airports apply only at the origin or destination.

This is a simple, permissible routing change, and SDC is permitted.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is not an airport switch, though it looks deceptively like one. @:-)

All of the rules that us SDC lovers throw around about changing airports apply only at the origin or destination.

This is a simple, permissible routing change, and SDC is permitted.
It sounds to me like IAD is the destination of one itinerary, and DCA is the origin of the next.

But this does sound like something a sympathetic agent might be willing to help with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.