Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Gate Agent threatens to call police / have me banned after taking his photo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Gate Agent threatens to call police / have me banned after taking his photo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Angry UA Gate Agent threatens to call police / have me banned after taking his photo

The other night at SFO, as I was boarding the plane, a gate agent was strictly enforcing the new baggage policy, and asked me to put my roll-aboard in the luggage sizer. This is the first time I've been called out for this, so I was a bit surprised.

On this occasion, I'd stuffed it a little too much, and it didn't quite fit in the sizer. One of the other agents nicely told me to try just taking something out. So, I did. Still didn't fit. At this point, I was ready to gate check it, but I stepped out of line and tried taking out one more thing. (After all, having to wait 30 mins for your bag later on is a pain, and worth avoiding if you can.) The agent who'd originally called me out was getting angry, and told me with an attitude to just check it already. Still didn't fit.

So, as the nicer agent was helping me gate check it, I took out my phone, and took a picture of the guy with the attitude pointing people to the bag sizer. I'm not one to file complaints about people (he was just doing his job, albeit with an attitude), but figured I'd post something along the lines of "United's checking all carry-on sizes--better stop packing so much crap."

He saw me take the photo, and immediately stopped what he was doing, and came over to demand that I delete it. He claimed it was illegal to photograph him without him being aware and giving permission. I disagreed. He persisted, saying that he was not a public figure, so I couldn't take his photo, and if I didn't delete it immediately, he would let the pilot know that I was causing a disturbance and have me banned from the flight. He then said into his radio, "we're gonna need the SFPD here momentarily". (Note: that I hadn't even raised my voice).

I told him again that it was perfectly legal. Then, he pointed at the camera on the ceiling and told me that this was being monitored, and he was gonna have this disturbance added to my "record". At this point, despite being nearly 100% certain that I was in the right, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and deleted the photo. He demanded to look at my phone to see that it was gone. I told him there was nothing to see, and asked him why he was being so mean.
A bit worried that my bag would get "lost", I asked to see them put the tag on it, and then boarded the plane a bit frazzled and upset.

(Know your rights | http://lifehacker.com/5912250/know-y...phy-in-public: "For the most part, your right to take photographs and video in public places in the United States is protected under the First Amendment under free speech. ... Your basic right is actually pretty simple: if you're in a public place and you can see it, you can shoot it.")

He wasn't wearing a badge visibly, and I didn't want to anger him further by asking for his name -- though in retrospect, I should have. I've since filed a customer care case with United to let them know. What would you have done in this situation?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Guess it depends on how important it is for you to catch that particular flight.

I would respond to him that you are recording the entire conversation on your phone so that there will be no misunderstanding when the police arrive.

He is not an FA, you are not on the plane, so you don't have to worry about being detained for not following his instructions. However you will want to ensure you have friendly witnesses so that he cannot fabricate an incident to keep you off the airplane.

If you are in a public place like an airport it is perfectly legal to take any photos you like. You cannot post his likeness for commercial gain, but that's another matter...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: 1K
Any chance your phone saved it to the cloud so that you can pull it back? I think it is most definitely worth posting online

Caption: "Flyer Friendly"
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
This guy definitely didn't have your back. Ugh.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyingincognito
He wasn't wearing a badge visibly, and I didn't want to anger him further by asking for his name -- though in retrospect, I should have. I've since filed a customer care case with United to let them know. What would you have done in this situation?
In most cases taking a photo in public is perfectly legal. Depends on the context. But in all cases, taking a photo of someone without their permission is rude.

Was they guy a jerk? Or was he getting frustrated with you appearing to be playing games trying to get past the carry-on rules. I don't know because I wasn't there.

But I would not have even attempted to take his photo.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Recently I saw a gate agent wasting soooo much time trying every bag in the sizer which was delaying the flight.

The guy in front of me was told to check his bag, he was arguing. I said to him - just appease this gate agent, and let her put the bag check on your bag, and then in the jetway, simply rip it off, and bring your bag on the plane.

That's what he did, and it fit just fine - some agents are just ridiculous. It's just better to agree, and then bring your bag on anyhow. They wont know.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When you make customer service agents into police, this is what you get. Unbelievable to me that folks support this effort. It accomplishes so little and causes so much strife.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would file a report even without the photo. Presumably UA has a record of who was working the gate if you can provide date, location, and flight number
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
In most cases taking a photo in public is perfectly legal. Depends on the context. But in all cases, taking a photo of someone without their permission is rude.
100% this... I am not excusing him if he was being rude, but admittedly you were in the wrong with the stuffed bag and he was likely being pushed to enforce the size requirements. I can only imagine my attitude if I had to go through that process every day.

This new concept of "I will just take this jerks picture and post it to X,Y, or Z" is just infuriating in my opinion. I agree its not illegal but its still extremely rude and will most certainly escalate an issue 9 times out of 10. You very easily can document the issue for united without the need for a photo of the agent, they know exactly who was working the flight and clearly there is video surveillance if it needed to go there.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arctikjon
100% this... I am not excusing him if he was being rude, but admittedly you were in the wrong with the stuffed bag and he was likely being pushed to enforce the size requirements. I can only imagine my attitude if I had to go through that process every day.

This new concept of "I will just take this jerks picture and post it to X,Y, or Z" is just infuriating in my opinion. I agree its not illegal but its still extremely rude and will most certainly escalate an issue 9 times out of 10. You very easily can document the issue for united without the need for a photo of the agent, they know exactly who was working the flight and clearly there is video surveillance if it needed to go there.
Please. If this guy can't handle having his photo taken after being a jerk, he has no place in a front line customer service position. I would certainly have filed a complaint against this guy if I thought it would have done any good, but given how commonplace this type of attitude is among United's front line staff, I might have just posted the photo to United's Twitter feed with a note to watch out for the guy.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Yet another reason to NOT fly UA!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The only reason he wanted it deleted is because the company is all over them due to their appalling customer service behavior. Most of the customer service reps are avoid specific retribution because the customer complaints are general and the "agent at gate 31 was rude" etc. With a photo, it's him, no excuses
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by rjque
Please. If this guy can't handle having his photo taken after being a jerk, he has no place in a front line customer service position. I would certainly have filed a complaint against this guy if I thought it would have done any good, but given how commonplace this type of attitude is among United's front line staff, I might have just posted the photo to United's Twitter feed with a note to watch out for the guy.
Taking a picture is one thing, posting it online is going far, far over a line that shouldn't be crossed.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:17 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I find the OP's screen name ironic as he takes pictures of others to post online.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I love it! This is exactly what you get when you have a "rule" (bags have to fit in the sorter, yet they will fit perfectly fine on the plane, taking NO MORE SPACE) which adds nothing, and is enforced in a strict way. United making its "customers" (marks) yet happier.

And to count the number of folks on FT who are all for this "rule" and strict enforcement too.

I just flew up to SEA on VX, flew back on UA. The contrast was so clear, United's service/decor, etc is so like a former Eastern block country.

Last edited by spin88; Nov 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.