Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of BOB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm beginning to think there could be some on-board storage capacity issues for these items rather than it being 100% inept supply chain management.
could be, but inept management has been an ongoing issue since the merger.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
could be, but inept management has been an ongoing issue since the merger.
It's always easier to jump to management ineptness rather than taking time to understand the issue.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:22 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
There are storage capacity issues on many aircraft. I've never run out of ALL bob items. I've run out of fresh. After the exit rows sales drop DRAMATICALLY. (Except on Hawaii)
I've never run out at row 8. Of anything.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
BOB food stocking

I was seated in the first row (bulkhead, row 7) of coach today on a 319 from IAH-PHL. The flight attendant started at our row and asked if I wanted to buy on board food. I declined but others ordered. When the flight attendant asked the folks in row 8 a passenger asked for the chicken sandwich but the flight attendant said they were now out.

Really? Does UA only provide BOB catering options for the 1st or 2nd row? There are 33 more rows to go. Ridiculous.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:03 pm

Now imagine this happening on a ULH TPAC flight!

Choice Menu Snack Shop Expansion: We're introducing a new option to purchase Choice Menu Snack Shop snacks and snackboxes throughout the flight in lieu of a limited complimentary midflight snack offering that was only available on select flights

Originally Posted by enviroian
I was seated in the first row (bulkhead, row 7) of coach today on a 319 from IAH-PHL. The flight attendant started at our row and asked if I wanted to buy on board food. I declined but others ordered. When the flight attendant asked the folks in row 8 a passenger asked for the chicken sandwich but the flight attendant said they were now out.

Really? Does UA only provide BOB catering options for the 1st or 2nd row? There are 33 more rows to go. Ridiculous.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

The worst is if you're in the exit row. One cart starts at the front of Y, and one starts a few rows behind the exit. By the time they get to you, they may be out of everything except for one variety of stale snack box...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by exerda
The worst is if you're in the exit row. One cart starts at the front of Y, and one starts a few rows behind the exit. By the time they get to you, they may be out of everything except for one variety of stale snack box...
Ah. I had no idea that tag teamed. So there is a cart starting from row 7 moving back and a cart starting from row 35 moving up? I didn't know that.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Ah. I had no idea that tag teamed. So there is a cart starting from row 7 moving back and a cart starting from row 35 moving up? I didn't know that.
IME, they both move back. One starts at the front of E+ (row 7), and the other starts a couple of rows behind the exit row typically (say, row 23). So if you're in 20/21, you may get what the littlest pig did...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

It depends what metric United Continental Holdings is looking at. If the metric is to accommodate pax needs or to maximize sales, they failed miserably. But if the metric is to have zero waste, someone may be getting a bonus their brilliant idea of catering only two (2) sandwiches on a flight.

Another possibility is that there were more sandwiches, but the FAs said they were out to deliberately waste them and #MakeJeffPay.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by fly18725
It's always easier to jump to management ineptness rather than taking time to understand the issue.
Where should the buck stop?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Where should the buck stop?
What is the buck's journey and desired end point? Basically, you can't ask a simple question and expect a simple answer for a complicated issue.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by fly18725
What is the buck's journey and desired end point? Basically, you can't ask a simple question and expect a simple answer for a complicated issue.
It's not that complicated, sorry you missed it.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I switched from an evening flight from LAS to ORD the other day to a flight that left at 3:50. I was busy all day and rushed to ORD and didn't have a chance to eat. I thought that there would be meal on this flight but I was wrong.

I needed to eat something to take my meds. So I asked the FA if I could BUY a BOB meal. She said no. Their policy is they have to offer them to the Y pax first, and if there were any left then I could get one.

I was lucky.

What a seriously stupid rule.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
What a seriously stupid rule.
Kind of like starting the 2nd cart two to three rows back from the exit rows. Given that those in E+ seats either have earned status or paid for that privilege they not only deserve first shot at whatever Bob is boarded but are in fact more likely to pay for it.

That said I've opted for Bob at least 10 times so far this year and they've always had my Asian Noodle Salad -- but then I seldom sit farther back than row 12.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
So I asked the FA if I could BUY a BOB meal. She said no. Their policy is they have to offer them to the Y pax first, and if there were any left then I could get one.
To me rules/attitudes like this are a big middle finger to premium flyers. Yes, it would not be right to "advertise/sell" BOB in F. But if a passenger asks for it, why not give them the same courtesy as the fliers in Y? I always offer to pay for it.

I've also been told I can't buy a snack box hours after all of Y was served. Don't remember the reason, some excuse about the card reader or the way they were stored, then saw another passenger being sold both a snack and a beverage in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.