Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of BOB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
That would never work. Somebody put some thought into the nutritional content of MRE's. Therefore they are inappropriate as airline food.

You *might* allow them on the grounds that they are prepared for infantry in the field who will burn more calories in a day than I burn in a week.
On a recent AA flight, I at three ice cream sundaes after the dinner service. Part of a healthy diet, no?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by johnden

But there is no excuse for the snack boxes.
I will ask the question again because it was never answered. But as I understand the op never said they ran out of BOB. Correct?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BB2220
So did they run out of all food, or just the stuff she wanted?

If not then they didn't run out of BOB products as the title would suggest
Sounds like they are out of touch with what people actually want.

Originally Posted by JeffS
Gee whiz. I guess United is the only airline to ever run out of a BOB item on a flight. Ever.

I think UA should evaluate and make adjustments to prevent this from happening. I'm just not going to use it as another excuse to bring up a litany of complaints.
The issue isn't running out. It's running out that early on the aircraft.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2014 at 9:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
as if UA really gives a rip!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
So back to the question.

Did they run out of food or not?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I would much rather see UA devote its efforts to a pre-order service where you have a decent selection, pay in advance and your meal is onboard. Conversely if you change flights for any reason, the meal is gone and you know in advance that you won't be fed and can make other arrangements.

Alternatively, carts at the gate which have 3-4 choices which can be purchased. These can easily be restocked and work well for those on the run.
The former is actually a plausible solution and not out of the realm of possibility. Air Asia offers a rather extensive pre order BOB menu and it works pretty well.

I will ask the question again because it was never answered. But as I understand the op never said they ran out of BOB. Correct?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I indicated BOB meals in my OP, so fresh perishable food. The only thing that was left was non-perishable snack food (including some of the tapas boxes which aren't meals). So, yes you are right they did not run out of all buy on board options, but they ran out of the meal options.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I indicated BOB meals in my OP, so fresh perishable food. The only thing that was left was non-perishable snack food (including some of the tapas boxes which aren't meals). So, yes you are right they did not run out of all buy on board options, but they ran out of the meal options.
Thank you
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Often1
I would much rather see UA devote its efforts to a pre-order service where you have a decent selection, pay in advance and your meal is onboard. Conversely if you change flights for any reason, the meal is gone and you know in advance that you won't be fed and can make other arrangements.

Alternatively, carts at the gate which have 3-4 choices which can be purchased. These can easily be restocked and work well for those on the run.
First idea is good in theory, but as a weekly traveler, I wouldnt ever pre-order meals. I usually dont know that I will be hungry on my flight until close to the time of flight. Or on the way to the airport. Most catering services need several hours to pack carts to place on the aircraft since those logistics are complicated. In many cases, the plane is boarded with food for more than one segment. And space is a premium.

Second idea would never happen. There are very political contracts between the airports vendors (theres usually only 1-2 despite how many "restaurants" there are). And aircraft catering is a totally seperate contract. There is an invisible line there for most hubs that cannot be crossed. So again, good idea in theory, but it wouldnt work...albeit for silly reasons.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:32 pm

Running out of BOB

At US you can preorder fresh meals but they aren't prepaid so you have the option of eating it or passing, in which case it gets put back into regular inventory for someone else. That system works pretty well.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
At US you can preorder fresh meals but they aren't prepaid so you have the option of eating it or passing, in which case it gets put back into regular inventory for someone else. That system works pretty well.
Has this been going on for a long time? A couple of years ago, I had an LAX-PHL flight that was a mechanical delay of 3 hours. Then we were told that they hadn't catered enough BOB. So, not only was I stuck for 3 hours, but another 5 hour flight and all without any food. They sold out of everything. I can see difficulty in catering the right amount of perishables. But the non-perishable food? And this is on a flight that had a good percentage of people who left because of the certain misconnects in PHL due to the delay.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So back to the question.

Did they run out of food or not?
Even if they don't sell out having the stuff people don't want will reduce their sales.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
They manage to run out of wine on nearly all the evening flights I take. That's particular shocking since it's 1) non-perishable and 2) insane margin. Talk about low-hanging fruit...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
They manage to run out of wine on nearly all the evening flights I take. That's particular shocking since it's 1) non-perishable and 2) insane margin. Talk about low-hanging fruit...

as long as they don't run out of liquid bread.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
I'm beginning to think there could be some on-board storage capacity issues for these items rather than it being 100% inept supply chain management.

SunLover
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
The issues with BOB at UA have been around forever, both pre and post merger.

ORD-HNL was infamous for the longest time for stocking only around a 30% ratio of the estimated Y pax load to fresh food and FA's used to hate working Y due to the inevitable anger from pretty much anyone seated doors 3 back.

IIRC, there was a deal at sometime whereby the caterer (Gate Gourmet?) was assuming both the risk (perishable unsold items) and profit. No idea what the current agreement is post merger.

Unfortunately, as with many things at UA, they either just don't care, or have to inept a management team to really do anything about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.